what I do with 17mm

I've always liked the 17mm lens, I've used it much more than the pan 20mm. Beautiful shot Paul, you were certainly blessed with glorious weather on this trip.

Whoops, just saw your pics after I posted Lili, your cat is stunning.

Thanks Karen

As advised (thanks pdh ;)) I hooked the 17mm up to my E-PL1 and took it for a walk this morning. The location was nowhere near as dramatic as the image in the OP of this thread, but we kind of managed to re-establish a working relationship. This lens tends to get a lot of criticism. I used to try to stick up for it but I eventually stopped bothering. If it was exactly the same lens but a stop-and-a-half faster it would be the darling of m4/3. Who knew the f/2.8 was too slow for a 35mm equiv lens? Either there are some bad copies of this around or there some unrealistic expectations of what it should be.

I like it.

6199488724_426c855a54_b.jpg

6199488172_e7dea6d30e_b.jpg

As advised (thanks pdh ;)) I hooked the 17mm up to my E-PL1 and took it for a walk this morning. The location was nowhere near as dramatic as the image in the OP of this thread, but we kind of managed to re-establish a working relationship. This lens tends to get a lot of criticism. I used to try to stick up for it but I eventually stopped bothering. If it was exactly the same lens but a stop-and-a-half faster it would be the darling of m4/3. Who knew the f/2.8 was too slow for a 35mm equiv lens? Either there are some bad copies of this around or there some unrealistic expectations of what it should be.

I like it.

6199488724_426c855a54_b.jpg

View attachment 42311

Excellent Nic!

Luckypenguin said:
Who knew the f/2.8 was too slow for a 35mm equiv lens?

Y'know Nic, I've been doing some research in this area, and -- I expect you'll find this hard to believe -- back in olden times people would actually take photographs using a film camera and a 35mm lens with a maximum aperture of f/3.5 ... it's amazing they ever managed to capture an image at all really ...

Y'know Nic, I've been doing some research in this area, and -- I expect you'll find this hard to believe -- back in olden times people would actually take photographs using a film camera and a 35mm lens with a maximum aperture of f/3.5 ... it's amazing they ever managed to capture an image at all really ...

What's even more astonishing is that there was no internet back then to debate noise control at ISO 6400. Apparently there wasn't even ISO 6400 either, although that might just be hearsay...

In fact, I don't think they even had ISOs ... progress is such a great thing, my E-P2 had thousands of ISOs in it when I bought it, but I expect I must have used quite a lot of them up by now

EP3 17mm 2.8

I recently got my 17mm with the EP3. I much prefer it to the 20mm Panasonic that I used to own. Somehow I just don't like the contrast/colour that the Lumix lenses produce.

P1010092_1.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back