Sigma What I'd Like to See Sigma Do

Name
Andrew
First of all, this is just me rambling as an outsider to the Sigma ecosystem(? maybe plural, ecosystems?), but I've always really liked Sigma for their daring, outside the box attitude, and the way they in-house everything. We need more companies who aren't beholden to shareholders and can look to innovate instead of drive quarterly profits. This is how a company should work.

Even so, Sigma's daring attitude hasn't exactly led to the best design decisions some of the time. The SD Quattro and Quattro H cameras are super interesting, super well-priced and well-built. However, the mount decision is kind of terrible. Not only does the SA mount waste a ton of space due to being a DSLR mount, but it seems to me like the exceptionally long flange distance limits the number of adapters that can be used. Has anyone found anything other than the M42 adapter? I'm really sad that you can't adapt M-mount glass (I briefly had the idea of grabbing cheap manual 7artisans lenses and shooting them on a Quattro H, which sounds awesome! But you can't), or other smaller, high-quality lens systems. Sigma's glass is expensive and super limited in the areas I'd like to shoot. Yeah, you can get an 18-35mm f1.8, which would be perfect (except for size) but I can't spend that much on glass for a camera system that is so niche.

The new fp looks like it will be another interesting camera, but it's clearly built more for video than stills. Give it five years, and there might be some excellent Foveon cameras in the L mount. Maybe that's what I need to wait for to actually be able to embrace Sigma technology. It's just hard to see cameras that come so close to something I'd want to own (slower operating but exceptionally high image quality) that have super weird and limiting design decisions.

So I guess what I'm saying is, Sigma should have picked a more versatile lens mount from the beginning for their Foveon mirrorless system cameras, but the future looks a little better as the result of the L-mount alliance? I hope so. What would you guys like to see from Sigma on this front?

Bit of an old post, but with the rumoured "fp L" maybe worth "reviving" :)

I totally agree. As much as I like Sigma's quirky cameras - the SD Quattro cameras with SA mount were non-starters for me. (Those were probably more a service to folks who had already bought into Sigma's DSLR's and had a bunch of SA-mount lenses already)

And the fp was too video-centric (and a bit too expensive if you weren't interested in the video aspects of it)...

Sigma moves slow, but they always offer something "unique" :)

I saw that Sigma announced they are back to the drawing board with the new Foveon sensor, which I surmise is a FF one (can't remember if they confirmed that or not, but it seems to make sense given their L-mount affiliation), due to the inability to manufacture it the way they needed to. I really hope they figure something else out, because every few years seems like it time is ripening for a Foveon breakthrough, but it never seems to happen.

Yes, the full-frame Foveon seems to be still some years away :(

All we know about the rumored "fp L" is that it is able to mount an external electronic viewfinder...
I'll keep my expectations low (by only expecting an update to the "fp" with no major changes...) - but who knows, we'll find out this week most likely (at CP+) :)

2/24 21:00 JST | Online New Products Presentation “SIGMA STAGE Online” | Information | News | SIGMA Corporation

We are pleased to announce the holding of an online event “SIGMA STAGE Online”, which is a presentation of new DN series (dedicated to mirrorless interchangeable-lens cameras) interchangeable lenses. It will be held on Wednesday, February 24th, 2021, from JST 21:00 / CET 13:00 / EST 07:00.

Date:
Wednesday, February 24th, 2021 JST 21:00 / CET 13:00 / EST 07:00 (about 30 minutes)

Also Sigma fp Sensor Measurements (SIGMA fp Ver.2.03.0.V84) at PhotonsToPhotos, compared Sony A7C:

There is only 2 base ISO's , ISO 100 & 640. Rest is pushed ISO's...
Per Bill Claff, shooting at ISO 200 is exactly the same as shooting at ISO 100 with -1 stop of exposure compensation. The dynamic range doesn't change, only middle gray get's shifted.

Last edited:
The dynamic range doesn't change, only middle gray get's shifted.
Ah, that IS interesting (to have more dynamic range above/below mid-grey - depending on whether you're taking photos/filming in a brighter or darker environment)

Will have to read that when I have a moment... :)

Back