What is size of your favourite camera sensor?

grillec

Veteran
Jan 16, 2014
APS-C

small enough for a Ricoh GR compact case and good enough image quality like a Merrill Foveon or Fuji X sensor

bartjeej

Hall of Famer
Nov 12, 2010
bart
I'm always striving for / dreaming of wide angle and shallow DOF, so for me, the larger the sensor the better - or a smaller sensor with super fast lens. Unfortunately both large sensor nor super fast lens tend to make for large cameras/lenses, and that's contrary to my other wish: a camera that basically disappears when I'm not using it.

I think the rumored sony 2/3" type curved sensor with a lens of ~21mm f/3 equivalent might meet my minimum criteria for DOF control, and it's obviously very small (smartphone), so if the lens is right, there's no real need for me to have a larger sensor than that. Still, if I were to design a camera/lens combo myself, it'd probably be APS-C at least.

bartjeej

Hall of Famer
Nov 12, 2010
bart
Heh! I've lost my obsession with super wide angles, so that makes my life easier. Having seen what Sony can pull out of a 1" sensor coupled with a stellar lens, I'd be perfectly satisfied with that image quality in atleast 85% of the shooting scenarios I find myself in.

The 1" sensor's DR and resolution are pretty much all I am likely to need, but the fact remains it's a pretty small sensor so for low light, f/2.8 or f/2.4 doesn't quite do it for me, by some margin. Maybe f/1.4?

MoonMind

Hall of Famer
Dec 29, 2013
Switzerland
Matt
FF/35mm (Nikon, Leica); size/quality ratio is best for 20MP :mu43: sensors, though. I just like playing with all aspects of photography, so the more versatile, the better - but at the moment, I draw the line at 24MP because bigger files would clog my processing pipeline and fill up my disks even faster ...

M.

sh0wtime

Veteran
Aug 20, 2011
Surrey/Hants border UK
Adam.
the 35.9 x 24 mm sensor (Full Frame) in my D810 is amazing. Just gets so much detail.
Not just well exposed areas but shadows as well. Truly remarkable :thumbsup:

I do still like a bit of CCD action on the side though...

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom