What Is the Best Way to Adhere New Light Seal Foam?

Name
Andrew
I noticed my beat-up Olympus XA that I just acquired has significant light leaks in the first roll of film I developed. No surprise, as the old foam is just straight up moldy goo now. I searched around today and found a sheet of dark-colored foam that came in the box with a pair of headphones, but am wondering what the best trick is to stick it firmly in place. I got double-sided Scotch tape and tried to match the width of a tiny strip of tape to the width of the strip of foam I cut off, but it's not perfect and I'm afraid junk will get stuck on that adhesive over time. Is there a better way that I'm overlooking?

When I've had to change light seals on 35mm cameras, I've always bought a kit to do that. There are still light seal kits for the XA on ebay (and probably other places), and the foam in them should be self adhesive. Using kits, it has always been a pretty straight-forward job. The hardest part of cleaning the gunk from the old seals out.

Congratulations on your XA. It's a fun little camera with a good lens capable of great stuff. I haven't used mine in a while, but I won't let it go.

I forgot all about premade light seal kits. Let's see how my jerry-rigged job performs for a few rolls and I'll decide whether I need something more "official."

The XA does seem very cool. Mine has dust in the finder and in the lens, the body is a bit beat up and the slide cover is wobbly. Plus I can see rust in the metal surround inside the VF. Yet, it still functions and seems like it's got plenty of life in it.

Back