What matters to you in a camera system?

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Name
Steve
I read a lot of threads comparing cameras and features. Many of us would claim that it's the photographer, not the gear, that really matters. I am not a fan of extreme positions, however. Given the same photographer, a better camera/lens combo could make better pictures. Many of the best photographers have very strong preferences in equipment. This is especially interesting on the SC forum, where we almost always begin with sacrificing sensor size (arguably a critical part of IQ) for camera size.

So, what really matters to you in a camera? Eye level finder, lens selection or quality of fixed lens, ergonomics, etc.? Not the casual stuff here: what are the real deal breakers?

After using it for a while do I get along with it. And are the lenses high quality. I'd say that "usability" and lens quality matter most to me. I'd rather have lens quality over quantity.

I'm not sure if it counts as IQ but can I get a good, workable RAW file from the camera. I've found that RAW files from different brands and cameras are different to work with.

For me, the feel of the camera is above all else. It's like how pdh aptly put it in his reply, all that matters is whether you wanna put the camera down when you pick it up. Granted I have adapted to cameras in all shapes and sizes (yes, even camera obscura). Still I value the feel above and beyond all else.

Similar to what Paul wrote, and to put it simply, does the camera inspire me to take more photos (or not)? So I'd have to say that everything matters. How does the camera "feel" in my hands. How responsive is it. The looks of the camera. The sound that it makes. And of course, how are the photos that come out of it. That last factor is probably the least important one as most cameras in the market far outpace my photographic ability. Nevertheless, inspiration is such a state of mind, and the mere thought that I am using a "nice" camera sometimes inspires me to take better photos. Sort of like a good coach getting more out of a bench warmer like me.

hmm I haven't experienced a lot of cameras at all, I held a Samsung NX10 in stores a couple of times and it just felt perfect ergonomically, and rock solid (more so than any other CSC I've handled so far, and more solid than most DSLRs too). It felt like the sort of thing that could just become an automatism from an operational point of view, and I'm still sort of considering buying it, even though it's pretty outclassed by some of the newer CSC's.

The reason I haven't bought one yet is probably because of a couple of the specific features I'm looking for. Lenses would be the most important one of those; particularly focal length (either a superwide or a very versatile just-wide-of-"normal" * ) and size (the flatter the better!), with lens speed being pretty important too. The NX has a wonderfully small 30/2 lens, but combined with the 3:2 aspect ratio, that's just narrow enough to make me feel claustrophobic. The panasonic 20/1.7 on a m4/3 sensor gives a view that has me drooling...

Other important features to me are:
-compactness (any camera must be coat-pocketable or smaller, with lens mounted);
-ruggedness (the NX10 already feels like it can take a ton of abuse, but it's not weatherproof);
-tilting / rotating screen (massively helpful in getting more creative compositions; I think, after the lens and the shutter speed, a tilting or rotating screen is the feature that opens up the most possibilities in terms of composition);
-silence; I really don't like drawing attention to myself by having a loud shutter go off. That, and the fairly crappy ergonomics and lack of lens choices, has kept me from buying a Sony NEX

* I don't believe in the concept of normal lenses but that's just one of my pet peeves

i have to LOOOOOVE EEEEEET! when i pick it up

it has to have great lenses, not that anyone could tell from my usual over processing that a lens was ever great... self lol... :D

any body style thats not blobby black blob plastic like a typical dslr

hot shoe so i can stick an ovf on top should i desire a break from my tiny tv :)

small, but heavy

a cultish following is nice, since i like hanging out with other whackos n talking about our whacko obsession... :D

Everything matters depending on what I'm doing, which probably explains what I have 8 or 9 dslrs, 3 m43 bodies and a half dozen other slr and rangefinder systems, and over 100 lenses.

I really like the X-Pro1, but it would not be my only system, I've got too many interests/needs to be limited to just one system.

Wait, are talking just cameras or camera system as per the thread title?

I used the word "system" so we could include compact ILCs like Mu43 or the Pentax Q. Lens selection could be the critical feature for some. (I suppose a camera like the X10 would be a system of one.) I'd rather be more inclusive than not for the spirit of this thread.

Kin Lau said:
Everything matters depending on what I'm doing, which probably explains what I have 8 or 9 dslrs, 3 m43 bodies and a half dozen other slr and rangefinder systems, and over 100 lenses.

I really like the X-Pro1, but it would not be my only system, I've got too many interests/needs to be limited to just one system.

We need to switch your name to King of Cameras! Inquiring GAS suffering minds would like you to list them all! :)

The most important feature I find in a camera is that I can trust it. Trust that it will do what I want it to do, trust that it can still deliver when I get it wrong, and trust that it will consistently deliver an image that meets or exceeds my personal threshold for IQ. I don't really have a blueprint for a perfect camera, and I think that a camera can surprise you even if it doesn't at first seem to be your cup of tea. I think that generally I am still attracted to the mini-DSLR type body; it wasn't through fashion that a few decades of camera development settled on that body style, but simple ergonomics. Oh, and I think that it is possible for a camera to be too small.

For me, weight and balance is the first consideration. Then its IQ and the viewfinder.

I absolutely love the Fuji Hybrid finder and so at some time in the future will relinquish my DSLR for an X-Pro. The X-Pro does not feel too heavy for me, in fact it feels "just right", just as the X100 does. I have been back several times to look at the X10, and just cannot get a feel for it. Its not for me. The X-S1, however, seems "just right" also, and so as I sell things off, that is also on the must get list, for the times I really do want something at distance. The Panny FZ100 is OK, but the X-S1 would be better.

My camera requirements -

1. Big fat sensor that will let me pull details out in post. Also good DR is a must, because I'm constantly blowing out highlights, I need a good enough sensor to be able to salvage the shot in post.
2. Fixed fast lens, or a zoom with constant aperture through the zoom range (a pipe dream right now). 28-35mm works for me (would like it to go down to 24).
3. Bult-in clear/bright EVF
4. Manual override controls, at least for the big three, preferably dials. Can live without an EC dial.
5. Don't care much for ergonomics, it could be an Argus brick and I'd still buy it. In fact I'd definitely pick up a capable Argus digital. I don't shoot enough for ergonomics to be an issue. Though I certainly won't complain if the camera feels good in hand.
6. One major deal breaker for me is if I have to dig too far into menus for simple stuff like metering, drive modes, setting ISO limits etc.
7. The simpler the camera, the more likely I am to buy it.

For me it's image quality first, as I do prints, then simplicity. I don't like all of the menus and bells and whistles on digital cameras that never get used. I love the X-Pro for it's image quality, but really don't like it's focus-by-wire. In this regard I wish Fuji had gone with a more "traditional" way of focusing. I'm sure most buyers are using auto-focus so it's a non-issue, but for myself, it's causing me to look at Leica a little too seriously!

I like my cameras to be simple to operate, fairly compact, and available with a traditional set of primes (24, 35, 85 or 90 or equivalents). incomprehensible menus are a no-no, and direct control of focus, shutter speed and aperture are vastly preferable. Image quality must be top notch; however, I refuse to fight with a camera that does not handle well.

Back