Leica What next lens to get after the 50mm?

xdayv

Top Veteran
Name
Dave
I shoot mainly for street and travel photography with the rangefinder... I've been shooting almost 5 months with the 50mm 1.4 ASPH, I like the idea of being limited to one focal length. But just the other day, I was able to check and try at a Leica store a Summicron 28mm F/2, probably a bad move on my part. Though within my radar is the Elmarit 28 F/2.8 for the size and price.

Any thoughts?

I don't owe either. But I've heard great things about the Elmarit, especially its wide open performance and compact size. Price too! I've owned the Zeiss Biogon 28/2.8, and that's a very good lens for sure. I think 28mm and 50mm would make a nice combo.

The question to ask yourself is how often you find yourself stepping back - and how far? Consider also that a 28 is harder to compose with effectively - you have to work harder to fill the frame.

The traditional Leica "Holy Trinity" was 35, 50, 90. Look at the results you are getting now and consider how you would like to realise your vision in a different way. Do not overlook the 35mm focal length - it is NOT "too close" to 50mm.

Good luck with your quest ;)

Sent from another Galaxy

the 28 will teach you to get closer. if you don't need the extra light from the summicron, the elmarit is a great lens and you won't be disappointed. it was my first leica lens and i don't think i could ever part ways with it.

My experience

I have a 50, a 35 and a 28

What I have found with my M8 is that I use the 28 most of the time and when I use the 35 or the 50 it stays on the camera for only a day or so until I get "fed up with it" and put the 28 back on
Maybe if I had a full frame M9 it would be the 35

I reckon that you only need one lens with an RF camera, for me it's the M8/28mm, combo ......... it is not a DSLR!

(with the M6 it was the 50 - as that was the only lens that I had)

I shoot mainly for street and travel photography with the rangefinder... I've been shooting almost 5 months with the 50mm 1.4 ASPH, I like the idea of being limited to one focal length. But just the other day, I was able to check and try at a Leica store a Summicron 28mm F/2, probably a bad move on my part. Though within my radar is the Elmarit 28 F/2.8 for the size and price.

Any thoughts?

Dave if you are looking at 28mm - consider the Zeiss 28mm f2.8 Biogon ZM along with the others

For me...

get the Elmarit 28mm for its very compact size and image quality...

get the Voigtlander Ultron 1.9 for good quality, more aperture, and price point.

get the Leica 24mm Asph for an all around better lens with a focal length wide enough for a good story but not so wide that things get distorted at the edges.

I've owned the voigtlander 28mm ultron and the 24mm Elmarit Asph as well as been tempted several times by the 28mm f/2.8. It didn't take long to realize that I preferred the 24mm focal length and sold the 28mm ultron as well as pass up on the 28mm elmarit.

Very helpful responses, thanks! The only factor that is keeping me at bay from getting a 2nd lens is I still wanted to be "limited" in a way with one focal length. I also dig on the idea that I don't have to think in between lenses which one to use. Just like being limited to black and white, a single focal length sounds enticing for my photographic mis-adventures.

But things do change quickly, so I might pick up a 28mm. Elmarit is the one I'm leaning as of the moment.

I agree with Armando that 28 is a good complement to a 50. If you're like me, though, the 50 and 28 will lead you to ponder getting a lens that has some of the charms of each, and you'll end up with a 35. And then go back and forth between the three of those lenses, never choosing a true favorite but instead enjoying all three. Nothing wrong with that!

With a range of focal lengths to choose from; including 12, 15, 21, 25 and 28 at the wide end; I find myself doing most street shooting with 21 and general shooting with 28. For me, 28 is wide enough to capture surrounding context without having to get too close to the subject. If you have a 50 'lux then you are set in that area and don't need any other 50.

I love the 28mm Elmarit, and the Zeiss 28mm Biogon. The Biogon costs a lot less, is a little larger, and possibly easier to handle because of the knurled focus ring that all Zeiss lenses have, compared with the Elmarit's smooth focus ring with tab. I have the Zeiss on my M9 right now, on my desk, as a matter of fact. The colours and image rendering are very similar, with the Elmarit having just a touch smoother bokeh, but that could just be placebo. Both lenses are good and sharp wide open, too.

I agree with Armando that 28 is a good complement to a 50. If you're like me, though, the 50 and 28 will lead you to ponder getting a lens that has some of the charms of each, and you'll end up with a 35. And then go back and forth between the three of those lenses, never choosing a true favorite but instead enjoying all three. Nothing wrong with that!

Except for the wallet!

I am in a similar position to the OP but finding this question really difficult. I have an M8 and the 50mm Planar. A couple of complications;

1) I wear glasses and can't really see any wider than the M8's 28mm frame lines comfortably. On an M9 or M-E this would be equivalent to the 35mm frame lines as both have the same magnification ratio.

2) At some point I will have a full frame camera on which to mount any M mount lenses purchased. I think we all have to think seriously about this question as even if the M9/M-E takes a long time to drop to M8 price levels it will surely get there eventually and someone else could well produce a cheaper full frame MILC in the meantime. Thus I am always thinking about the dual use of 1.3x crop and full frame of any lens purchase.

Thus taking the above 2 points into account whilst the 28mm Elmarit looks ideal for the M8 I don't believe it would work for me on an M9, apart from the finder issue I have never really been a fan of the 28mm focal length. This then leaves me scratching my head with the realisation that to go wider I will be needing an external finder and then might as well go really wide for something a bit different. I am currently weighing up whether to go with the voigtlander 12 or the 15, leaning more to the 12 as my internet research seems to indicate it works better on full frame and is a pretty unique non-replaceable lens to have in the stable anyway.

Then of course I would be in a situation where I have a huge hole between 67 mm and 16 mm (M8 equivalents), but maybe I just keep using the X100 to cover this gap.

Is it any good though? I did a bit of research before on these and couldn't find any recommendations but a couple of bad experiences.

I think really though the viewfinder setup is the biggest drawback with the M, its a shame they couldn't have designed in a step zoom like Fuji put in their X-pro viewfinder.

I may switch back to contacts but back then I used to end up constantly taking my sunglasses on and off again, now I just wear reactolites the whole time.

I've never had a problem with the 1.25x finder. Used it this weekend with the Nikkor 10.5cm F2.5 on the M Monochrom. No problem using it wide-open. I have a 28/2.8 Elmarit-M, use it on the M8 and M9. I also have very thick glasses. I've never been big on wide-angle lenses on RF's, nothing wider than a 28 for them. The Nikon SP spoils you: the auxiliary finder is built in, next to the 1x viewfinder. Framelines for 28/35/50/85/105/135.

I was only referring to the reducing eye piece rather than the magnifying ones which seem very popular. Interesting to hear you get on OK with the 28 on the M9, can I ask you is the view of the framelines similar to looking at the 24mm framelines in the M8? I can just about see those but have to move my eye around a bit to take it all in.
Thanks Brian
Neil

Back