Leica What next lens to get after the 50mm?

I checked the M8 and M9: the 28mm framelines of the M9 are "out there" with my thick glasses, the 24mm framelines are easier to see n the M8.

So- I'll let you know how the 0.85x magnifier does with it. When it arrives. With shipping, was just over $100. That's about 1/2 price from the company, and less than the 1.25x finder that I have.

Thanks Brian. I think I am going to go long next as its an easier and potentially cheaper decision, If I get a 90 I know it will work for me on both the M8 and a potential M9/M-E upgrade as 90ish is one of my favourite focal lengths.

Good choice- also consider the Nikkor 8.5cm F2 in Leica thread mount. It is the lens that put Nikon on the map.

If you don't need the speed, a coated Elmar is very good on the M8.

I started with the elmarit 28mm then picked up the lux 50mm, mainly for people and low light shots. The elmarit is great for landscape but a little too slow to be used in low light, so I recently picked up the summicron 35mm. I like the 35mm as it's wider than the 50 and faster than the 28. I may trade / sell the 28 for something wider down the road but I'm pretty much set for now, as I don't really like shooting with longer FLs than 50.

I started with the elmarit 28mm then picked up the lux 50mm, mainly for people and low light shots. The elmarit is great for landscape but a little too slow to be used in low light, so I recently picked up the summicron 35mm. I like the 35mm as it's wider than the 50 and faster than the 28. I may trade / sell the 28 for something wider down the road but I'm pretty much set for now, as I don't really like shooting with longer FLs than 50.

Mijo, would be interested to know what you'll end up at the wide end...

Right now, it is still the 28mm I'm considering -- either the elmarit or cron.

It's supposed to be nice this weekend- I'll have to try out the 28 Elmarit-M on the Monochrom. It is quite good on the M9. With the higher ISO of the Monochrom, the F2.8 max aperture is not as limiting.

Mijo, would be interested to know what you'll end up at the wide end...

Right now, it is still the 28mm I'm considering -- either the elmarit or cron.

I'll probably stick with the elmarit 28mm as I just received a used 1.25 magnifer and you can barely see the framelines of the 28, I really have to look to the extreme edges of the rangefinder though. I image that if I used anything wider than the 28 with the magnifer, I wouldn't be able to see the framelines at all. I'd prefer to just leave the magnifer on all of the time, rather than taking it on and off depending on what type of lens I'm using (I'm lazy like that).

I chose the elmarit 28 over the cron 28 b/c of the cost difference and the fact you can stop down the elmarit one more additional stop (f22 vs f16 on the cron). Since I'm using the 28 mainly for landscape I wanted that extra stop down.

35 is probably the best travel lens. Wide enough to take in majestic sights, but long enough to still shoot people. 50 is great for street work and long enough to do real portraiture (nothing beats a 50 Sonnar). 75 or 90 are fantastic for portraits and objects, as well as travel when your subjects are "protected" by distance.

If I could have only one additional lens after a 50, I would have a hard time choosing between a 35 and a 90.

I own 28, 35, 50 (three of them), 75 and 90mm lenses. When I leave the house in the morning, its invariably a choice between one of the 50s as an only lens, or occasionally the 35 on the camera and the 75 in a pocket. More than two lenses are pretty much restricted to actual photo outings.

I own 28, 35, 50 (three of them), 75 and 90mm lenses. When I leave the house in the morning, its invariably a choice between one of the 50s as an only lens, or occasionally the 35 on the camera and the 75 in a pocket. More than two lenses are pretty much restricted to actual photo outings.

I turn to like the 28 and 50 combo... and if I haven't started with the 50mm, I might end up with something like yours 35 + 75!

I just traded in some mu4/3 lenses for a summicron 75, I really like the 35+75 combo. The summicron 35 is small enough to keep in my pocket with the 75 mounted. I still like my 28+50 combo but I've used that a lot, it's nice to have two different 2 lens combos to choose from.

Back