Fuji What one zoom for travel with the XT1?

Just a quick update- I tried the 10-24 for a long weekend and found it too big and heavy, I also didn't find the OIS particularly useful especially compared to the IBIS of my Olympus EM5. If I went with this lens, I'd have to get a bigger bag just to accommodate it.

Went back to my camera shop and they lent me the 14 2.8 and I have been loving it so far. Small, fast, light, and great IQ at all apertures (whereas with the 10-24 I found f5.6-f8 to be the most usable). I think I'll end up buying this little prime. A bonus is that XT1 with 35 attached, 56 on top of 14, X100S to the side fits inside a ThinkTank Retro 5. I would have needed a DSLR sized bag like the Retro 7 if I went with the 10-24.

Here's my two-penny's worth: I had all nikon kit and several zooms. I was a zoom guy. Probably cod I was a lazy/embarrassed photographer. The cheap nikon 50 1.8 turned me on my head. I'm mostly using XT1 now and I currently have 35 and 14. I will never have a zoom again as long as I'm just doing this as an a amateur (I know a zoom is a must for events/weddings). Best lenses I've ever owned. Just want the 23 and 56 to complete my kit.

I was waffling about whether to spend all that dough on the 18-135.....seems overpriced....especially since the weather sealing does nothing for me without a weather sealed body. Then I happened across a used 18-55 and a used 55-200 on the same day. I saved a few hundred bucks and have more reach on the long end and faster glass on the wide to normal end. I think I'm done spending money (for now).

It's a great lens for landscapes and architecture for sure. A bit too slow for people as f4 is just a bit too soft for my tastes, 5.6 is where this lens shines.

Part of the reason I went with the 14 2.8 instead of this zoom is that I switched from m4/3 since I felt Fuji APSC offered a significant IQ advantage that would merit giving up the ergonomics, speed, and compactness of my m4/3 kit. The zoom offered versatility, convenience, and usability but at the end of the day the prime offered the best IQ when paired to the XT1 so that's how I made my decision.

I'd suggest seeing if you can borrow one for a few days, you might just fall in love with it :)

I just got back from a photographic trip to Japan, Korea and China with my XT1. Took only 2 lenses, an 18 - 55 and a 55 - 200. I found that my 18-55 was used about 85% of the time but it was nice to have the 55-200 along. I also had an X20 with me that I used as a pocket camera but loved the XT1 with the 18-55. The 18-55 is a superb lens for travel.

I am still utterly torn between the 18-55 and the 18-135. The kit lens is faster by a stop, and smaller physically. The bigger one has the reach. I don't care about weather sealing, really.

ugh.

If the 16-55 doesn't.... friggin... have... OIS. --WHY?

I am still utterly torn between the 18-55 and the 18-135. The kit lens is faster by a stop, and smaller physically. The bigger one has the reach. I don't care about weather sealing, really.

ugh.

If the 16-55 doesn't.... friggin... have... OIS. --WHY?

I really wasn't impressed with the 18-135 that I tried. If you really need the convenience of the range and the weather sealing, then there isn't much choice anyway. The 18-55 I tried was amazing for a kit lens, even amazing for a lens on its own. Fast, sharp, and the bokeh was beautiful. I am so tempted by it but I think I'll wait for the 16-55 just so I am not tempted by the 16 prime down the road :)

Questions like this are basically unanswerable. Each of us has different preferences and priorities.

Personally, in two years of using a X-E1 I can remember very few occasions where my 18mm wasn't wide enough. On the other hand I quite often use a 70-300mm zoom.

If you really need something wider than the X100 then it definitely makes sense to go wider than 18mm. How about the Rokinon/Samyang 16mm or 12mm?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1039949-REG/rokinon_rk12m_fx_12mm_f_2_0_ncs_cs.html

Alternatively shoot panoramas, either with the auto pano feature or using something like Microsoft ICE -- it's so easy it's incredible, although there are more powerful stitchers available for money.
PoolPano2_zps9841a5cd.jpg

FWIW, I had always loved the convenience of zooms. If read about "learning" more with a fixed focal length. Bollocks! I thought. I'll just set the focal length on my zoom! Yeah. As if. It's an absolute truth that if you go prime you will learn the basic perspectives of the " traditional" focal lengths. Does this make you the next Ms Leibovitz? No probably not.
Will you learn more and faster than you did, about angles and perspective and composition? Yes. Almost certainly.
So my point is, who cares "which" lens. Just be brave and take your favourite. Just one. It will force you to learn. :)

If it were me I would go with the 18-55. I have found that when I travel I have found that I get a majority of my shots in that range and rarely end up needing or wanting anything longer. I also prefer traveling as light as possible.

To close the loop (or my loop in here, anyway), I traded my 14 prime for a friend's brand new 18-55. It's been wonderful, but I still bring the 35 and 56 with me when I'm doing something really important. Especially out at 55, the zoom isn't as sharp as the 56 ... what is? But for general walking around, that zoom is a steal at its current price, much less as part of a bundle.

Back