Leica What strap for your Leica?

xdayv

Top Veteran
Name
Dave
I'm currently using the stock leather strap from the MM, it has soften a bit by now, good enough... But I'm looking for another. I had an Artisan and Artist Silk Cord, but it was the version for DSLR and the plastic fastener broke, I didn't want to risk the strap getting loose on the Leica. So now, I'm scouting for one.

I'm used to the A&A adjustable cloth straps but I got an Olympus leather one as a freebie and I really like it on the M. I've also got a Gordies strap on my other body but it's still a bit stiff. But I've only been using it for about three years.

Gordon

The Leica packaged straps are great! Still use them often but my default are the RileyG straps:

Camera Straps - Designer Camera Straps

They are wide, have character, good quality and they don't slip off my shoulder which is important if I'm carrying two cameras with no bag. The more complex designed straps (Tapestry type) can be a little too thick for some. My favorite is the stone cutter... with the shorter super loops.

I simply use the Leica packaged strap. It suffices for now. I have the handgrip on my M8.2 and sometimes carry the camera with the strap wrapped around my forearm holding the camera primarily with the hand grip. That gets away from the "look at the huge Leica pendant I am wearing" effect. It also keeps the camera ready instantly swing up to my face for quick use.

When I got my M8 several years ago, I found a used Luigi's Leicatime strap and half case in brown on Ebay. I dyed it black and have to say it's a beautiful handmade case and strap. The strap leather is quite supple with a shoulder pad.
When I got my M6, I ordered a new half case and strap from Luigi and it is also a handmade beauty. You just can't get a better quality strap or case. Leather quality is superb. Many of the asian cases are just manufactured copies of Luigi's case with cheap leather and machine stitching.

The synthetic strap that comes with the M9 is fine with me. I even bought another to put on my Fuji X100, too. The A&A silk cord strap looks very nice, but it is way too short. I prefer a strap that allows the camera to be almost at my waist, and the A&A strap looks like it will only go to my sternum.

I also use the strap that came with the camera, but like the one that came with the M8 and M9 a bit better. Somehow- I got a spare one, and might swap straps.

I'm currently using the stock leather strap from the MM, it has soften a bit by now, good enough... But I'm looking for another. I had an Artisan and Artist Silk Cord, but it was the version for DSLR and the plastic fastener broke, I didn't want to risk the strap getting loose on the Leica. So now, I'm scouting for one.

How long is the MM stock strap?

Wapiti Strap

I've purchased a custom Wapiti Strap . I haven't received it yet but I'm looking forward to see how this one will perform.

I've been looking around at other strap options and most of the "standard" rangefinder straps are too short. I have my factory Leica strap extended full length so I can easily wear it across my chest. Lug - lug its 46". I'm on a waiting list for the latest ARTISAN & ARTIST* ACAM-E25R but I think it will be too wide at the lugs for me. I recently tried one of those silk type straps but it was too big around at the lugs and I had trouble holding the camera when taking a shot.

I really like the way the factory Leica strap attaches to the camera but I dislike the shoulder pad due to the nubs that are there to prevent sliding. Well, I need the strap to slide as I do carry the camera across my chest and when I go to take a photo the strap should not be a hinderance.

So that's where the Wapiti Strap comes in. The C1 has the same width nylon strap (1/2") that connects at the camera. And then it has a nice shoulder pad.

I sent an email last evening asking a few questions and was surprised to get an almost immediate response from David Grubbs who makes the straps. I explained what I was looking for and sent him some photos of the lugs of the camera along with a photo of the factory camera's fittings. Plus I remeasured my strap length to ensure I had the right size.

So what I've decided to do is remove the factory straps metal attachment rings and the plastic locking clasps and use them on the Wapiti C1 strap. David will size the strap so that once its configured it will be 46" lug - lug.

As soon as I sent the Paypal funds to him I got an email back saying he'd have it out in Monday's mail. I call that pretty good service.

This is all I could find on Youtube pertaining to his straps: Connecting a Wapiti C1 Strap - YouTube

I just received the leica wide strap and it's pretty good. It's more comfortable than the stock strap that came with my M-E and about as long. The only negative comment I have is that the leather feels kinda cheap, which is surprising given the cost and that it's made by leica. It's the same type of leather used for Leica's camera protector case (1/2 case for the M8 & M9), which I also have. I'm hoping the leather breaks in with use and feels less cheap over time but the wide strap and the case are really well matched for each other.

I like the A&A silk cord, but I use it as a wrist strap. I coil it around my wrist a few times.

I have a Barton braided on order, I am hoping that it will stretch out to be I nice shoulder strap.

i have used the same strap on my m6 for 23years. a plain nylon webbing strap off a minolta x-700. i use some soft metal circlips and have had very minimal wear to the finish from the strap. set short to chest level and perfect for wrist wrap carry when shooting. never liked the leica black plastic /metal fasteners. too bulky.

I love the strap that came with the M8.2 and have a spare. On the MM I am currently using the leather strap that came with it, but it is rather stiff. I may put on the other fabric strap, but I plan on giving the leather one a chance to break in as it does look very nice.

I feel the same about the M Monochrom strap- like the M8 strap better. But have not changed it out, makes it easy to tell the two apart when I have them in soft pouch cases. I use a Nikon F2 soft-pouch case for the Leica's.

Back