Leica What strap for your Leica?

What I really want to find is some sort of a nice generic internal divider for carrying lenses and accessories in an undivided, non camera bag. I am have nice vertical messenger bag that is quite small, rectangular in shape, about three inches deep, 7 inches wide and 11 inches tall. Would LOVE a soft, padded insert for the bottom third to hold three lenses (with hoods on the short ones) with a padded, folding cover. Could then just put a body and possibly even a pair of sunglasses on top of the lenses.

I hate carrying anything that looks like a camera bag, and so far have just used this unpadded bag with lenses at the bottom inside of thick ankle socks, but I'd like a bit more protection and to immobilize them better.

I lost a lens cap over the week end and I was searching for a replacement online and happened to come accross this leica strap for pre order on B&H, Leica Leather Carrying Strap (Black) 18776 B&H Photo Video .

It looks interesting, and priced close to leica's wide strap.

I actually bought the strap I linked to my post and have been using it for several weeks. I like the new leica strap a lot more as it's comfortable than the wide strap I previously purchased. The best thing about the new strap is that the wide padded part of the strap (I guess you can call it a shoulder / neck pad) is movable. I prefer to use my strap as a sling so being able to move the shoulder / neck pad makes it a lot more comfortable than the stock strap or the wide strap (which the widest part of the strap never ends up in the right position). I'm actually thinking about getting another one for my M6 and selling the wide strap.

I usually go strapless. I don't like the the strap rubbing against the side of the camera. Especially the black painted body. However, when I do use a strap, I usually use an old strap that I think came from an M4.

I cannot imagine going strapless on my end, I'm too careless for that.

I tried going strapless this weekend with my M-E and M6, at a friend's B-day party, and it's not something I can do. I felt really uneasy about not having any kind of strap (neck or wrist) while using either camera. When I didn't have cameras out, I just had them in my camera bag

I have one of Luigi's (LeicaTime) straps on a IIIc. It's one of the minimal+adjustable ones in black.
It's does what it needs to do, soft and supple. The leather cover that slides over the adjustment buckle has come loose a few times over the years. A bit of shoe-goo and it'll stay on for another couple of months. Definitely a nice strap to use. Worth the money.

For my M3 I bought a handmade Shanghai strap made of undyed leather with brass trimmings. Don't like this one very much. If I adjust it to my perfered length a large section of the strap hangs down the side of the camera. The leather shoulder pad constantly shifts out of position.
I will be cutting it down a bit soon. As it wasn't overly expensive I'm not too bothered taking a knife to it.

Two other LTM Leicas have very cheap, leather SLR-Magic straps. One black, one brown. These come with a sliding shoulder pad that has a (fake?) chamois underside. Adjusting the straps length requires a screwdriver. They're alright. not very soft, but definitely cheap.

I spent the week in NYC last week and checked out the leica store in SOHO. One of the employees was able to order the strap that comes with the monochrom from the NJ facility as a replacement, it's exactly like the strap within the link I posted in post 23 (except there's no stitching at all). I really like the feel of the leather that's used on the monochrom strap (it's not as soft as the leather used in the link or the wide strap so some might not like it b/c of that).

Thanks, I may ask for one for Christmas!

You may need to get a dealer to order one for you as a replacement. The leica store employee indicated that leica isn't planning to offer the monochrom strap for sale as a separate accessory. In fact when I went to pick it up from the store to pick it up, the strap didn't even come in a box.

I like Gordies straps, have a black one on my Monochrom and a black wrist strap (no pad) for my X2.

For anything larger than an M though I prefer a thick cushioned strap like the Tamrac suede available at most stores, or for long days a Black Rapid.

You may need to get a dealer to order one for you as a replacement. The leica store employee indicated that leica isn't planning to offer the monochrom strap for sale as a separate accessory. In fact when I went to pick it up from the store to pick it up, the strap didn't even come in a box.

I found a source in NJ.

I've noted that some folks mention "stiff" leather straps and cases. For many years as a carpenter a new pair of boots was a necessary purchase. Wearing new boots for 10-12 hours can be a PAINFUL experience! I used Mink Oil to soften up the stiff leather. But now that"Save the Minks" foundation has stopped the yearly hunts for the cute little fur-balls the company that supply's it has moved on to conditioning oil. Made by KIWI it still does the job with no ill effects. I give my leather a thick first coat. Let it dry and rub with dry cloth. Next a bit of "limbering" to help with flexing. Another coat or two as needed making sure to wipe off excess. I've never experienced a problem with this method. I do have soft neck and wrist straps. It also helps with my 1/2 cases and older never-ready's. Good luck to all !

Back