What the heck just happened????

Rich M

Veteran
Some of you may know me from over at Micro Four Thirds User Forum.....or maybe at GetDPI.

ANYWAYS......I have been checking in here from time to time (yes....lurking)....and never registered because I didn't have much to say about Serious Compacts ;).

I have recently ditched my Canon gear (kilos worth) to buy a Pentax K-5 and various lenses.... I LOVE IT!!!!!

Months ago, I put my name on a waiting list at my local camera store for the X100 and forgot about it.....until the owner called me today and said my camera was IN!!!

In the back of my mind, I knew that if I ever received that call, I would pass on it (especially after the Pentax investment).

When I saw the call pop up on my cell today....I immediately thought....the Fuji is in. I answered and listened to the owner tell me my camera was waiting. I took a DEEP breath and told him that I was going to PASS on it for all the reasons I described above.

And he replied "Richard.....you DON'T want to do that.....I have been shooting this camera since Fuji lent me a prototype. You will REGRET that decision".

With those words echoing in my ears.....I meekly told him I would be down tomorrow to pick it up.

What have I done????? Crap......we'll see.

R

Rich, that is one heck of an introduction!! I know you originally came out of the lurking closet down on one of the Fuji X100 threads, but really your post deserves to have its own thread here in the Welcomes and Introductions forum. :bravo-009: When you come back on, you'll have plenty of opportunities to post not just about the almost forgotten Fuji X100, but also about your Pentax K-5 - and show us pictures from both. Welcome aboard here, Rich - we're very glad to have you.:th_salute:

Welcome Rich. The ranks of X100 users (or expectant users) keeps growing. You'll need a separate forum soon.

Its not so much that you'd regret it if you DIDN'T get it - you'd never have known what you were missing. Its more that if you break through the doubts and DO get it you'll quickly realize what a mistake it would have been not to. I didn't want anything to do with the X100 when it was introduced, then I got sucked into the hype and put in a couple of pre-orders, then I started having serious doubts and cancelled on of the pre-orders and had all but decided I didn't want one. Then I realized if I didn't get one and at least check it out, I'd drive myself crazy until I did. So I had a preorder still in place and when my cousin in Montreal ended up with two from his pre-orders up north, I took his extra. And it was a maddening camera for the first few days but I've well and fully fallend in camera love with it since. I'm VERY glad I overcame my doubts and got one because, despite the real issues with the camera, its just a pure joy to shoot with and the quality of the images coming out of the camera are incredibly good. I have other cameras I like a LOT in different ways, but none I like more than this one. Maybe as much on a good day, but none more.

I suspect you'll like it. Enjoy!

-Ray

I'm PRETTY sure you can recoup your investment if you decide to sell it. Might even be able to turn a profit! Enjoy!

Its not so much that you'd regret it if you DIDN'T get it - you'd never have known what you were missing.
I'm VERY glad I overcame my doubts and got one because, despite the real issues with the camera, its just a pure joy to shoot with and the quality of the images coming out of the camera are incredibly good. I have other cameras I like a LOT in different ways, but none I like more than this one. Maybe as much on a good day, but none more.

I suspect you'll like it. Enjoy!

-Ray

Thanks Ray.....I love the APS-C sensor on my K-5 and looking at folks photos here (and other places), I expect I'll like the sensor on this camera too.

R

Back