Fuji What to get? The XF 23mm or the XF 14mm?

Proffarm

Hello everyone. I have a purchasing conundrum. I don't know which one of these 2 lens's to get. Since deciding to switch from Canon to Fuji about a half year ago, I had planned on getting the 23mm as my second lens after the kit. Previously on my Canon EOS M I became addicted to the little 22mm f2.0 for many reasons. I think it was mostly because I loved the focal length, and I pretty much kept that lens on the camera exclusively. Now that I'm ready to get my second lens for my X-E2, I'm all of a sudden unsure-and I was hoping to get some opinions from you all here. I love the versatility of the 35mm focal length, but I also really like what I see from the wideangle side of things and I think I could have a LOT of fun with that.

My gut is telling me to stick with the 23mm as I shoot a lot of pictures of my kids in lower light, and I've read that the 14mm is not as 'quick' with the AF as the 23mm, but my eyes seem to be drawn to the photos from wideangle lens's. It's just a really pleasing looking focal length-even though I have no practical shooting experience with it.

Any thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know XF 14mm but I've noticed that 23mm is almost as fast as m43 lenses to focus, and this has saved quite many of my frames. So if you're shooting kids and are thinking about focusing speed, stick to 23mm

And, not to mention that 23mm is really brilliant lens, IMHO.

I have the 14, I don't have the 23. Some thoughts...

- The extra stops will be nice. 2.8 is ok, but I sometimes wish for more.
- From what I've seen the 23 gives up nothing in sharpness to the incredibly good 14. Sharpness is what most people cite as the killer aspect of the 14, but comparing the 23 to it more or less mitigates that advantage.
- 23 is a much more usable length most of the time. You "know" this of course, but sometimes it helps having it said to you anyway. With the 14, you have to be careful not to get faces anywhere near the corners or they will distort uncomfortably. With the 23, that's not really an issue.

So in summary, the 23 is a better all-arounder, and you can imitate its aspect ratio with a later purchase of either a used 14 or a wide zoom.

Look at your files from the 18-55 and see where most of your images are taken that said, you've already taken a liking to the 23 which gives you a 35fov from FF...i use my X100 so i chose the 14 as it's intended use is for crowded space first everything after.

I guess I'd go for the 23. It is just more useful in everyday situations and really nice for candid people shots. I'm not sure I'd buy the 14mm again... it is an extremely nice lens but for very special usecases. Today I'd probably give the much cheaper samyang 12mm/2 a serious look. AF is not that important at these focal lengths. I'm still contemplating a switch. ;)

I ended up with the 23, and I LOVE IT!

It staid on my camera the whole time with a recent family vacation to San Diego. The whole time.

Back