Fuji What upgrade would you do?

hooferinsane

Regular
Name
Brian
Currently have an XE1, XPro1, XPro2. I have a variety of lenses including the 100-400 plus 1.4 TC. I do my macro with Canon 70d + 90mm macro. In a couple of months I will be able to upgrade a few things. I am definitely going to get the Fuji 80mm macro. The other choice of a cam upgrade I am still undecided. The XH2S looks wonderful, but having suffered from tendonitis in both shoulders on and off for a couple of years, heavy objects at times can become a little uneasy to support for long periods. I was therefore thinking of keeping the XPro2 and purchasing the X100V, which would be good for Street Photography.The only thing about doing this is that when I have used the 100 - 400, at times I have got more images where I have just missed focus than ones that are in focus. Whether that’s operator error, perhaps the tendonitis having some bearing, I don’t know. Not sure if the XH2S would help overcome this. Btw in terms of age, I am just 60, and don’t feel like giving in to things just yet.
Ps I could probably trade in the Canon body and Tamron 90mm macro if purchasing the 80mm Fuji macro.
TIA!

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I watched some X-S10 reviews online, and as I would be doing a lot of macro with it, the grip looks a good option.
The reviews look pleasing. Just a question about the battery, the NP- 126S. I see there isn’t a charger included, but could I use the charger for my XPro2 (used for charging NP-126 battery)?Also as I am one for having ready charged spare batteries, are there any third party batteries that are decent? I am actually going to the Fuji shop in London today, just to ‘handle’ the camera. Thanks.

Thanks for the replies. I watched some X-S10 reviews online, and as I would be doing a lot of macro with it, the grip looks a good option.
The reviews look pleasing. Just a question about the battery, the NP- 126S. I see there isn’t a charger included, but could I use the charger for my XPro2 (used for charging NP-126 battery)?Also as I am one for having ready charged spare batteries, are there any third party batteries that are decent? I am actually going to the Fuji shop in London today, just to ‘handle’ the camera. Thanks.
Yes - same battery charger as for the 126 batteries.
They no longer ship with chargers... but you are able to plug the camera in directly via USB (but obviously won't be able to use the camera while it's charging - so that's not an option I like using personally)

3rd party batteries at your own risk; while they are certainly cheaper, you may risk them bowing out and at worst getting stuck in the slot.
Often they don't give as good a full charge as the OEM's and the battery indicator is not all that reliable (they are likely to literally just stop working when you think there are still 2 bars left)
Those are personal experiences, everybody will give you different advice I'm sure

Well I went along to look at the cams, held a few in hand. Although the XH2S is heavier and quite a few more £s expensive, I must admit the auto focus was almost mind blowing. There again I am only at present at an XPro2. Might have to have a rethink :).

If you don't need/want IBIS - XT3, if you do - XT4 would be my recommendation.

Well I went along to look at the cams, held a few in hand. Although the XH2S is heavier and quite a few more £s expensive, I must admit the auto focus was almost mind blowing. There again I am only at present at an XPro2. Might have to have a rethink :).

The XT4 is a cut above the XPro2 and aI have both. Not had a chance to use an XH2 yet, but I it should be very close if not practically the same. XT have a slightly smaller body than the XH. I've shot indoor fencing with the XT4 and it impressed me.

So far I have heard almost nothing but positive reactions about the autofocus of the new X-H2S, especially when it comes to C-AF with the new subject tracking modes. However I am wondering if you *really* need this kind of AF. Since you said you are doing mostly macro work and some street photography with it, I think it might be a bit of overkill for such situation. If you'd do a lot of birding, wildlife or sports, I wouldn't question it, yet for these two genres I am not sure how much useful that AF will be.

As others have already stated, the X-S10 as well as X-T4 feature IBIS, which helps a lot to further stabilize your image without using a tripod. In addition both of them are essentially the latest X-Trans IV generation of cameras, which should be clearly ahead of your X-Pro2, let alone X-E1 or X-Pro1 in terms of AF performance. In addition both are quite a bit cheaper than the X-H2S. If you don't need IBIS, the X-T3 would still be a great choice, a while back it got a firmware update which bumped the AF performance almost to the same level as the X-T4. But since you mentioned your issues with handling heavier objects, I can imagine you might sort of suffer with not the most stable pair of hands out there, in which case I've found that IBIS really helps to compensate for such issues. It's one of the very few things which I am missing from my X-Pro3.

This last week or so I sold my EM5 III and lenses as it was not for me, so even though I kept my A7 III I came back to Fuji and got the X-T3 with some lenses. I could of gone for the X-T4 but which I owned in the past but my joy of the T3 got me back.
Ironically, went the opposite direction. Sold the X-T3 after scratching the Fuji itch and went back to Olympus and the E-M5iii specifically. We could have negotiated a trade!

IF (big if) OP is interested in different formats, M43 does offer some light long lenses and bodies. I've heard of folks migrating to M43 after starting to experience shoulder issues. Really just depends on if you're at all interested in more than one format. It can get complicated!

Back