What went wrong today ...

Our house has one drip coffeemaker, no fewer than three french presses, a moka pot and two burr grinders (one is the small hand one for camping), so the only disaster I am afraid of is running out of freshly roasted beans!

Which will happen in a couple days, I should've stopped at Safeway on the way home today.

Too many shirts, not enough hangers. I've fallen victim to covid-boredom and tried easing it by shopping for new clothes online. Shopping for clothing online isn't something new, since there isn't a single place to shop for men's clothes in 80 miles. But it seems kind of silly when there's no place to go wearing new clothes. It is that time of year though - summer is coming quick and I like to be somewhat fashionable, even for a 70+ year old guy.

So, Friday and Saturday more short-sleeved shirts I ordered arrived. I try them on. If they fit, I put them in the laundry, if they don't, I send them back. Everything fit. Everything that has come in the last 10 days fits. So now my hamper is overflowing. I do a load of shirts - all the new ones and all my dirty regulars, which I have neglected to wash for a while because, well, it's quarantine, I live alone so I don't have to do laundry as much as I would normally. It's then I realize I don't have enough hangers to put all my shirts away. I'm starting to wonder if I'll even be able to wear all my new short-sleeved shirts and all the old ones I still like before it's time to start wearing long sleeve shirts again. It'll be just my luck that the only store in town that might have them won't have any hangers tomorrow, which I dread going to look for because of all the idiots who object to wearing face masks seem to be the majority of shoppers the past couple of weeks.

Coffee mishaps:

I was working at the head office of a big media company a few years ago, as a visitor. In their reception area was a coffee machine, intended for the use of important guests rather than passing contractors like me, but I would sometimes treat myself to a decent coffee rather than a cup of instant in the site office. So, one lunchtime I'm walking through reception, there's nobody around so I decide to use the machine. It was the sort where you chose a sachet from the display, and then loaded it into a drawer in the front of the machine. Inside, hot water was injected into the sachet, which would burst and allow the coffee to come out. I put a cup on the tray at the bottom, I chose a sachet and loaded it into the machine,

While the coffee was brewing I probably looked around and admired the reception area. Lots of chrome and glass. Everything was brand new and gleaming clean - lovely clean work surface, lovely new wooden floor, lovely new leather sofas nearby and an immaculate glass table with expensive magazines for visitors to browse. Still nobody else there.

Then the machine made a gurgle or two and a steaming black puddle emerged from underneath and started to spread across the counter surface. Argghh ! I looked around for something to mop up with, but there was nothing as mundane as a roll of paper towel or any cloth. I tried the visitors' toilets, nothing useful in there either. I returned to reception, where the steaming black puddle was now dripping onto the (previously) immaculate wooden floor.

Well, dear reader, I then had a decision to make. I could either spend the next fifteen minutes hunting around an unfamiliar company to find a cleaner or some means of dealing with the mess myself, or I could walk away whistling, get on with my work, and avoid the reception area for the rest of the day. See if you can guess what I did.

-R

Coffee mishaps:

I was working at the head office of a big media company a few years ago, as a visitor. In their reception area was a coffee machine, intended for the use of important guests rather than passing contractors like me, but I would sometimes treat myself to a decent coffee rather than a cup of instant in the site office. So, one lunchtime I'm walking through reception, there's nobody around so I decide to use the machine. It was the sort where you chose a sachet from the display, and then loaded it into a drawer in the front of the machine. Inside, hot water was injected into the sachet, which would burst and allow the coffee to come out. I put a cup on the tray at the bottom, I chose a sachet and loaded it into the machine,

While the coffee was brewing I probably looked around and admired the reception area. Lots of chrome and glass. Everything was brand new and gleaming clean - lovely clean work surface, lovely new wooden floor, lovely new leather sofas nearby and an immaculate glass table with expensive magazines for visitors to browse. Still nobody else there.

Then the machine made a gurgle or two and a steaming black puddle emerged from underneath and started to spread across the counter surface. Argghh ! I looked around for something to mop up with, but there was nothing as mundane as a roll of paper towel or any cloth. I tried the visitors' toilets, nothing useful in there either. I returned to reception, where the steaming black puddle was now dripping onto the (previously) immaculate wooden floor.

Well, dear reader, I then had a decision to make. I could either spend the next fifteen minutes hunting around an unfamiliar company to find a cleaner or some means of dealing with the mess myself, or I could walk away whistling, get on with my work, and avoid the reception area for the rest of the day. See if you can guess what I did.

-R
Described so well, I could virtually smell the leather of those sofas.

well luckily my coffee panic has been taken care of.
emailed my roaster yesterday & they shipped my order today & it should be here tomorrow :drinks:

generally they roast on a Friday & ship on a monday so i was a bit concerned they might not have enough, luckily they did :cloud-9-039:
i actually ran out this morning but i did get 2 cups.

i also ordered a couple of coffee drippers & some filters.
i had a load of Vietnamese Kopi Lowak coffee given to me & although its OK through the authentic metal long can filters it can be a bit harsh.
i'm hoping the filters will take the edge off that & if nothing else they will make the whole process a bit cleaner.
much easier to drop a filter with grounds into a bin than wash out a metal can. it was starting to look like the grounds were slowly blocking the sink drains in my RV so hopefully using filters will solve that :drinks:

Coffee grounds make quite an effective barrier against slugs and snails, if you grow plants and veg outdoors, or know someone that does.

-R

i have tried them in the garden, i have lots of plants in pots but the only plant that seemed to do better after having it in the pot was an unpronouncable plant from Turkey..

Perhaps the slugs struggle with the pronounciation too ...

Seriously, I've found that the most effective method to deal with slugs is to go out after dark and prey on them yourself. Essential equipment consists of a head torch, an old spoon and sealable plastic freezer bags. I've gathered scores of them in a single night like that.

-R

Yesterday, every little thing, ALL DAY LONG. If I turned around, I knocked something over, if I needed something it was always where I was not (inside vs. outside), if I picked it up I dropped it, if I dropped it it always fell through a crack and went all the way to the ground - and found a leaf to hide under.

My best guess is that some MAJOR disaster was avoided yesterday. God had Her fun playing tricks on Walter and making him look like a fool (easy) rather than sending that tornado through that sleepy little town or sending a famine to those struggling souls or sinking that boat of refugees.

My tiny but of service to human kind. She seems to enjoy messing with me enough to leave the rest of you alone.

So when you gave a great day, where everything just "clicks" - you're welcome!

;) :)

Sometimes, weird and irritating things happen - they're not that bad on the grand scale of things, but they can annoy the heck out of you. Here's a thread to vent - but please, keep it civil.

Please note: This is only for life's little desasters, not really serious stuff! If it's okay that others snigger along, you've come to the right place to post your stories.

I'll start off with my evening today: First, when preparing dinner, a bottle of orange juice (not just any orangy juicy stuff, either, the pure, expensive kind) slipped out of my hand and hit the floor; the cap broke and flew off, the juice went all over the kitchen floor. The not-so-funny funny thing: Something rather similar happened only a couple of days back - due to sillyness, though. This time, I actually wasn't careless or fooling around - and still, it went flying; it was a heck of thing to clean up all the sticky stuff, too.

But that's not all.

I just knocked over my - full, of course - tea glass, bathing the table and the laptop in mint tea. It could be worse - the laptop's obviously still working since I'm typing this on it. But it'll certainly not enhance its life expectancy ...

I think I'll go to bed before I incidently flood the whole place ...

M.

This is fun to read, but… been there, done that. And it’s really irritating when it happens to oneself. But nevertheless, later one realises that it wasn’t so serious after all. But when the content of paint can or red wine bottle or cooking grease of pork or something similar is all over, it isn’t funny even smallest bit

Sometimes, weird and irritating things happen - they're not that bad on the grand scale of things, but they can annoy the heck out of you. Here's a thread to vent - but please, keep it civil.

Please note: This is only for life's little desasters, not really serious stuff! If it's okay that others snigger along, you've come to the right place to post your stories.

I'll start off with my evening today: First, when preparing dinner, a bottle of orange juice (not just any orangy juicy stuff, either, the pure, expensive kind) slipped out of my hand and hit the floor; the cap broke and flew off, the juice went all over the kitchen floor. The not-so-funny funny thing: Something rather similar happened only a couple of days back - due to sillyness, though. This time, I actually wasn't careless or fooling around - and still, it went flying; it was a heck of thing to clean up all the sticky stuff, too.

But that's not all.

I just knocked over my - full, of course - tea glass, bathing the table and the laptop in mint tea. It could be worse - the laptop's obviously still working since I'm typing this on it. But it'll certainly not enhance its life expectancy ...

I think I'll go to bed before I incidently flood the whole place ...

M.
Don't want to sound an alarm, but the types of things you describe happened to me and was the beginning of a Parkinson's syndrome for me. Symptoms included dropping things, knocking things over, difficulty holding my camera (started wearing a neck strap), IPad, and eventually I, while walking, would drift into a door facing or wall. Keep an eye out and if these things keep happening you may want to start making some notes, like a small diary. Best chance is that it is just a coincidence.

S01-20200518-023.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Don't want to sound an alarm, but the types of things you describe happened to me and was the beginning of a Parkinson's syndrome for me. Symptoms included dropping things, knocking things over, difficulty holding my camera (started wearing a neck strap), IPad, and eventually I, while walking, would drift into a door facing or wall. Keep an eye out and if these things keep happening you may want to start making some notes, like a small diary. Best chance is that it is just a coincidence.
Thanks for the heads-up, I appreciate it, but it was absolutely out of the ordinary for me - and complete clumsiness (too much on my mind). I'll keep my eyes open (metaphorically), and should it become regular, I'll have things checked.

M.

Tried to activate a replacement cell phone. Wouldn't activate. Old phone was deactivated when I tried to activate the newbie. Ended up having to go to the cell provider's local store to get it straightened out. Seems to be working now. Wee...

Back