What will be your next acquisition?

I want one camera from every major brand :(

Canon: 6D with 24-105 F4 and 40mm f2.8 and possibly G15
Nikon: D600 with Tamron 24-75 f/2.8 and possibly P7700
Pany: GH3 with 12-35 f/2.8 35-100 f/2.8 and possibly LX5
Oly: OMD E-M5 with 17mm f1.8 60mm macro f2.8 and lense cap 15mm f8 and possibly XZ-2 iHS
Sony: NEX-6 with 16-50mm kit lens
Fuji: X-E1 with kit lens 18-55 f/2.8-4 and X100

Bidding on a Rokkor MD 28mm F2.8 now. Perfect functional shape but someone engraved their social on it (as did someone else on 2 of the 3 lenses I already have... why did people do that?). Thus, nobody else seems to want it, and it's got less than 12 hours left and I'm winning at $9.99. Ten bucks plus shipping for glass that good almost seems like theft.

Got it for $20, plus shipping. Really happy with myself, cannot wait to get it.

Having cheap things like this that still really excite me was more than half the reason to get back into film, for me. Honestly I'm 75% as excited by this chunk of gear as I would be by another lens for the X-E1 (that I don't have).

Much as I want to have the VF-2, I can see a time in my future where the only cameras I have will be by Ricoh or Fuji. I really want an X-Pro1 with all 3 lenses and whatever else is coming... the X-E doesnt interest me at all... and I also want a GXR, or perhaps the next iteration of GRD (or both).

What a shame I no longer have the cash flow to support the habit. oh darn.

In whatever order I can get my grubby hands on them:

Epl5
15/8 cap lens
17/1.8
Rx1
Several prints to stack in my pile of prints I stare at and think "I need a loft to put these in!"
Aki asahi skin for the epl5

I had a trifecta today. The US postal service, FedEx and UPS all paid me visits. I'm done.

My wife missed the camera deliveries in the mail and the FedEx guy but wondered what came from UPS. She was a bit confused by the grip for the OMD. Why do people buy grips for cameras? Then she looked at it and saw that it was well made and had a nice heft to it. "Wow, they must have dinged you around $80 for this thing".

I wish I had thought about it for a second. Instead of just saying that clearly a sucker is born every minute I said "I wish it was only $80". I thought bragging about the good deal I got would make her proud. "They're $300 new and I only paid $240". She was unimpressed. I thought a little levity would be good. "Can you believe they don't throw this in when you buy a camera body WITH NO LENS for $900?"

She thinks SERIOUS cameras that cost a lot of money are all shaped like DSLRs and are giant black blobs. My secret had been safe.....and now my world was crumbling around me. She started talking about a new sofa and a new chair.....my eyes glazed over. Suddenly I remembered a few cameras that were gone and she had seen me packing them up to ship out. I explained that I would never pay that out in REAL money. I sold a couple cameras to buy the OMD and the grip.

A very unstable peace returned. It's best when the finances stay buried. When I think about what she spends to feed and board her horse (And don't get me started on shoes.....I'm already considering an occupation change...I'm gonna be a farrier) and that's every month...and there is no residual value. You pay for a place to keep it and some food and the vet visits and at the end of the month, there is nothing left. After I use these cameras, I can still get a good chunk of the money back.

So all that is to say, I'm done.....for now. There is nothing I'm buying for the rest of the year. But really, there is nothing I need either. I'll happily just watch you all try to deal with your GAS. If anyone needs some ROLAIDS, let me know.

The need for the (overpriced) grip was the tipping point in my decision not to purchase the E-M5. Gotta draw the line somewhere...

I am totally with you Chuck. I initially sold it when I looked at all the receipts. I came back a few months later and bought everything used and feel like I wasn't screwed by the Olympus marketing division on this go around. I'm still not totally sold on the whole system, but it definitely checks a lot of my boxes.

I would also love to know why their grip costs more than many cameras.

The O-MD 'should' be the perfect camera for me but I just don't want one!?!?! I have seen far too many images from it that are just....well...pants if I'm honest. I have also seen some very nice images too but not enough to persuade me even to try the camera overnight. The X-E1....now there is a camera you can set your watch by!!! Even the pre production 18-55 looks super tac sharp and it looks gorgeous so it will either be one of them or a D600 which is well out my price range!

Back