What will your next (photographic) purchase be?

I'm revising my early post in this thread in light of the underwhelming GF2. Now it's either LX5 or NEX5 or GF1. I spent about 20 minutes playing with both the GF1 and the NEX at the airport Dixons while waiting for a flight yesterday - totally unable to decide which I like better but currently leaning towards the NEX (not that I can afford either at the moment:sad010:).

From my personal observations of your photos here and on your blog, any of these cameras would perform well in your capable hands. I quite enjoy your photos by themselves but your explanations alongside give another level of enjoyment.

As a biased NEX user, I would be personally interested to see what the articulating screen would do for your compositions.

Just ordered the Lumix LVF1E from Amazon, for my LX5

Could have got it cheaper in the US (BH are offering it for $128) , but once you add on import charges.... VAT etc, you may as well get it here in the UK if you live here. :(

I'm tempted by the D700 - the more I read about the M9 the more unhappy I become - and the M9 is a really big investment for me as I'm just a "normal" "image taker"

I could probably get a good price for my D300 - so that would cushion the cost

I've started using my D300 again, (after a few months almost total romance with M43), It's made me realise that (apart from the size), the DSLR is a more pleasurable shooting experience for me - effectively I've decided that I need all three formats

S95 to carry around all the time

Nikon DSLR for any serious stuff or when I'm out shooting images (specifically)

G1 with MF glass (and kit 14 42), so I can use the non Nikon MF glass that I have - on the days I don't want to carry to DSLR

EP 1 always in the bag with the 20mm f1.7 fixed to it

Lumix FT10

After reading and commenting on JoepLX3's message on which waterproof camera to buy... it got me thinking since the time that he asked it... if I should invest in a proper waterproof, rather than my own LX5/D-lux 3 in an Auqupac.

As... I really want a camera, that I can just shove in my pocket with or without one of my others, when its raining, windy/dusty beach etc as a simple point and shoot for those ultra quick shots, and I'm really loathe to take any of my 'good' ones out with me in these circumstances.

So I've decided to give this a go... Lumix FT10
:rolleyes:

View attachment 30832

View attachment 30833

LUMIX Compact Digital Camera
Waterproof 3m, Freeze-proof -10℃, Shockproof 1.5m and Dust-proof
14.1-megapixel High-resolution CCD
iA (Intelligent Auto) Mode and Dedicated iA Button
HD Movie Recording (1,280 x 720 pixels at 30 fps in Motion JPEG Format)
4x Optical Zoom Lens with Folded Optics Technology
2.7-inch 230,000-dot High-resolution Intelligent LCD

Although I could have gone with the Lumix FT2 the FT10 seems the most suitable for my own range of shooting needs.... and it comes in black !!! :D

Mal.

Hi Mal, congrats on your FT10 ! Nice little all weather camera. I too feel the need for such camera to take with me all day. The black color is great !
What is the difference between FT10, FT1 and FT2?

Having sold my S90, I'm picking up a cheap red GF1 body to round out my gear. I have the LX-5 to cover the compact slot. And for my BIG camera system (yeah, HUGE) I don't want for m43 lenses and I really like my ep2, but I really like having two bodies for when I go out for a full day of shooting - not to mention having bodies with different strengths and weaknesses for different uses. I had an epl1 and ep2 when I traipsed around Europe last summer and the combo served me brilliantly, but I didn't love the controls on the epl1 so I sold it very shortly after returning. And after getting good and used to the LX-5, I've realized that Panasonic has got a few things really on the ball when it comes to interface and responsiveness that I really like. So the gf1 seems like a great compliment. I'll still have the stabilized ep2 for the 14-150, for legacy lenses, and for when I want to shoot with the 20 in really low light and want the IBIS. But the gf1 seems like a good choice for the second body. I'll use it with the 9-18 a lot and for street shooting with the 17 and 20, where I'm looking forward to its reputed quicker reflexes than the ep2. I'm paying exactly the same for it that I sold my epl1 for used in August, so it seems about right. Oly and Pany bodies both have their strengths and weaknesses and it seems like if you're gonna have two m43 cams, one of each is a good way to go. So one of each its gonna be. The gf1 is red, which I have mixed feelings about. On the one hand, a street camera should be as unobtrusive as possible and red aint that! On the other hand, a little red camera reminds me of an old red film point and shoot I used to have (I don't remember what it was, but it was a pretty fun little camera - fixed 35mm lens, probably pretty similar in size to the gf1) and people always reacted to that like it was a cute little toy, so maybe this will seem equally non-threatening. Time'll tell.

So I'll be back to my two body kit with a nice compact and the right selection of lenses. I should be good for awhile. Until they start making quantum leaps in sensor technology and AF speed and stuff over the next few years. But I'm already ecstatic with the IQ of all of these little cameras, even the LX5, so I doubt I'll jump real fast at a better sensor. The 14mm lens will be tempting, but I already have that focal length covered twelve ways til Sunday and I don't see needing it covered again in a prime, so I think I can resist that temptation. And nothing else is making me drool even a little bit at the moment.

-Ray

Herman....

The FT1 & FT2 are styled identically, but the FT1 is a lower pixel count (12MP) and has a shorter working depth than the FT2... its also cheaper (around the same price as the FT10)

FT1 Click for specs
View attachment 30838

FT2 Click for specs
View attachment 30839

Take a look at this fun, little clip for the FT1..... :eek:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="
"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

However....

I think the FT10 is more ergonomically styled, and matches the styling in some parts of the LX5... and of course... it is the only one available in BLACK !!!.

FT10 Click for specs
View attachment 30840

So it looks like I'll go with this..... Herman.... Hope this helps you as well, as it seems just the ticket :)

Having sold my Panasonic DMC FZ8 a couple of weeks ago guess what I'm missing it already especially when I see one of 'our' resident grey squirrels running along the grass outside the flats:)
So having done some home work reading various reports on the latest 'bridge cameras' and looked at the Flirck grps I have ordered an other Lumix DMC FZ100:eek:
More money than sense but having read and heard via the media OAP's are wasting their time saving in the UK so might as well spend it;)

My beautiful, brand new, only-just-arrived white LX-5 is taking it's first trip to Yosemite for the first big snow storm of the year in about 10 minutes. Next up: the EVF and wide angle attachment.

Herman....

The FT1 & FT2 are styled identically, but the FT1 is a lower pixel count (12MP) and has a shorter working depth than the FT2... its also cheaper (around the same price as the FT10)

FT1 Click for specs
View attachment 30922

FT2 Click for specs
View attachment 30923

Take a look at this fun, little clip for the FT1..... :eek:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="
"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

However....

I think the FT10 is more ergonomically styled, and matches the styling in some parts of the LX5... and of course... it is the only one available in BLACK !!!.

FT10 Click for specs
View attachment 30924

So it looks like I'll go with this..... Herman.... Hope this helps you as well, as it seems just the ticket :)

mal
Thank you so much for the info. The FT10 does infact look tasty. While not having read a whole lot on these, right off the bat, the 14mp sensor bothers me. I would much prefer the 10MP sensor for better noise control.

Kathy, I can't tell you how many times I have misplaced mine. Thankfully, I've found it every time...once underneath the car seat even though I had already looked there several times.;) I've usually found it in my pocket or on a counter top, but I agree that for some reason it is difficult to keep track of for me, too. Sorry for your loss.

Back