Fuji What would be the perfect X200?

KVG

Regular
Name
Kelly
With rumors of the forth coming X200 What would make you buy one? For me X pro sensor, hybrid viewfinder with xe1 evf, 40mm equivalent f1.4 lens and don't change the x100 look.

I'm with you up to the 40mm lens - I'd still want 35 or even prefer 28. And give me the Q-menu and auto ISO on the same menu. Not like I'm gonna be buying it anyway as long as I have the X-Pro. But that's what I'd look for anyway...

-Ray

I'd still want the 35. I'd just like it to start up quicker. I've grown grey hairs in the time it takes to start up and the picture I was aiming to capture has already walked away.

I bet there will be an X200 or whatever next year. Same body, same lens just a 16MP X Trans sensor with maybe some electronic enhancements. The 28mm adapter lens for the X100 is very good BTW. It's actually as good the two Nikon 28mm's I have (28mm AI-S and 28mm G series). I doubt they will change from the 35mm as the primary lens. It's just a really good focal length for a lot of people. Maybe they come up with another adapter for 50mm?

I wouldn't be surprised if there'd be no X200, particularly since I seem to remember they're also planning a 23mm lens.
I do really hope that there WILL be an X200, with some level of weatherproofing, and preferably still a 23mm lens (35mm equivalent). Wouldn't mind if they made it slightly smaller (Panasonic GF5+14mm size?) but only if that didn't come at the expense of operability.

Waterproofing should come standard for all cameras sold in Scotland! :)

Thanks Luke, I thought I did have it set for quick start but maybe I haven't. I'll check it out.

I bet there will be an X200 or whatever next year. Same body, same lens just a 16MP X Trans sensor with maybe some electronic enhancements. The 28mm adapter lens for the X100 is very good BTW. It's actually as good the two Nikon 28mm's I have (28mm AI-S and 28mm G series). I doubt they will change from the 35mm as the primary lens. It's just a really good focal length for a lot of people. Maybe they come up with another adapter for 50mm?

I think the existence of that 28mm adapter is a strong sign there will be an X200 of some sort. They just came out with that pretty recently, after the X100 had been around for a good long time. I can't imagine they'd have done that if they were just gonna let the model die off.

-Ray

I think the existence of that 28mm adapter is a strong sign there will be an X200 of some sort. They just came out with that pretty recently, after the X100 had been around for a good long time. I can't imagine they'd have done that if they were just gonna let the model die off.

-Ray

Exactly. I think about the only thing different besides some internal electronic improvements will be a 16MP X Trans sensor. It's such a great camera. Honestly the 28mm adapter is fantastic.

The perfect X200: that would be the X-E1, yes?

I don't think so. First off, no OVF, which was a huge part of the appeal to me of the X100 and X-Pro. And also still a good bit bigger than the X100, particularly with any of the lenses (with the possible exception of the 28mm pancake they're planning for it at some point, but that's a slow lens). The whole point of the X-E1 is that it left out the OVF - allows it to be smaller, less complicated, less costly, etc, than the X-Pro, but still notably larger than the X100. So I see an X-100 followup still in the $1200 range to be a very different thing than the X-E1. I would probably only buy an X-E1 as a second body to use with zoom lenses if I used the Fuji system enough to want a second body. The X100/200 is and likely would remain a totally unique standalone.

-Ray

I wonder how much of the X100 cost is the hybrid viewfinder...especially after seeing the price difference between the X-E1 and the X-Pro1.

Could we see a new budget X100 (or X200) with JUST the EVF? I agree that there is a fair bit of magic in the hybrid, but many couldn't care less about it. I showed to a friend and he thought it was cool, but he ended up using the EVF most of the time. He was never confident that what he was seeing was what he was capturing.

And imagine if they could get it to the price point of around $800 or $900.

I wonder how much of the X100 cost is the hybrid viewfinder...especially after seeing the price difference between the X-E1 and the X-Pro1.
I suspect its not AS much with the X100 as with the X-Pro. I think a LOT of the size and complexity and cost of the X-Pro is getting that OVF to work at different magnification levels and with zoom lenses, which seems infinitely more complex and space consuming than with a fixed lens camera like the X100. It would no doubt knock a bit of size and a bit of cost from the X100, but I don't think it would be anywhere near the proportion of the difference between the X-Pro and X-E1...

-Ray

I don't think so. First off, no OVF, which was a huge part of the appeal to me of the X100 and X-Pro. And also still a good bit bigger than the X100, particularly with any of the lenses (with the possible exception of the 28mm pancake they're planning for it at some point, but that's a slow lens). The whole point of the X-E1 is that it left out the OVF - allows it to be smaller, less complicated, less costly, etc, than the X-Pro, but still notably larger than the X100. So I see an X-100 followup still in the $1200 range to be a very different thing than the X-E1. I would probably only buy an X-E1 as a second body to use with zoom lenses if I used the Fuji system enough to want a second body. The X100/200 is and likely would remain a totally unique standalone.

-Ray

Sorry, there was a large element of "What is the only Fuji to have genuinely got me interested" in that statement. It tales away what I didn't want in the X100 (fixed prime lens, OVF), and what I didn't want in the X-Pro1 (Size, OVF, price) but leaves the important hardware intact. Feature wise it seems to be a fairly basic camera and the old school controls don't excite me greatly, but I figure that if I want to trim down to an E-M5-plus-one arrangement, it's a bit pointless looking for the same features as the Olympus in a different camera.

I'm the exact opposite. I want the old school controls and the OVF. The old school controls are the most important to me. I really like clicking dials because I'm old and have a hard time navigating menus (I do like the Q menu). In fact I would love a digital K1000 with a dial for ISO. :) If they actually do make an X200 with nothing changed but putting in a 16MP X Trans I'm sold. I do really wish they would put a lock on that EV control wheel though. I taped it down on the X Pro and X100. Also it would be nice if the max aperture was 1.4 but I doubt that is going to happen.

One of the main reasons I prefer electronic displays is the exposure preview when I compare them to my old DSLRs. It's like a continuous feedback loop that prevents those "whoops, let's try that again" moments when the camera doesn't get it right. A dedicated and easily accessible EV control rates fairly highly on my wish list, particularly when taking the practise of ETTR into account.

That's a really valid point. I used to use an EP3 and I have to say that was an excellent EVF. I understand the one on the OMD is even better. I'm kind of old and clumsy (actually I'm not kind of old, just old....) so much as I loved the Olympus it was too small for me. Honestly, I don't know why I spent so much on a camera. I really only take pictures of my dogs. It keeps me busy while they are out getting their exercise. I usually take about 20 or so photos when I'm out walking with them. I never use any auto features except Aperture Priority. I manually set the ISO and Aperture. I generally know how much DOF I want and can usually guess at the right ISO to get the appropriate shutter speed. These digital cameras are so forgiving on ISO it's just amazing to me. If I was a smart good photographer I probably would get an OM-D. That looks like an amazing camera. I've always kind of regretted selling the EP3. A friend of mine has one he want to sell. I still have the Panasonic 20 for some reason (I really liked that lens). I told he we would do a joint listing here on the forum at some point. I wish I could buy it but between the Fuji camera and the almost $4000 in vet bills I rang up in the last 12 months, I'm living on soda crackers and water......:)

I'm not totally convinced that the built-in eye-level finder on the E-M5 is much different to the VF-2 that the Pens use, although both are still very good. The E-M5 is a wonderful camera because it does so many things very, very well and offers a lot of different shooting options, but fundamentally it is still built around a smaller imaging sensor than the Fujis. Rather than one being better than the other I like that they seem to be quite different from each other. At least I hope they are anyway, should I decide to try an X-E1.

Back