Leica What's in your bag now?

The issue for me with the M-D is not the price point as much as the camera is just a repackaged M 240 with minor tweaks. It would have been better if they slim it down to the size of the film M since they are taking away the screen and whatever electronics that support the screen and the need for cooling the screen. Not sure how much video takes up and also the additional input for the EVF. But a slimmer battery, slimmer and lighter body, a digital M7 in form and function. I would consider it in my bag.

As Raid has opined...Leica became a luxury item primarily when professional photographers and photojournalists jettisoned their Leicas for the Nikon F....and all it's descendants. they are still popular today as icons of design and function. the added plus is that they are cheap, relatively speaking. It doesn't surprise me at all that Dale can mingle among the tourists of Charleston and not find Leicas. Probably not even Nikons or many Canons dslrs. Mostly smartphones and digital P and S. I have an Oly waterproof TG-4...shoots raw and can stomp on it.

A mechanical Leica and Hasselblad are still things of beauty.....intrinsically worthy. Leica lenses are worthy but perhaps not way ahead of the pack like they used to be since the camera makers design lenses specifically for the specifications of their sensors and other ergonomics. I am flabbergasted at how large many lenses have become these days, although equally flabbergasted at how light some of them are , especially Fuji.

As Raid has opined...Leica became a luxury item primarily when professional photographers and photojournalists jettisoned their Leicas for the Nikon F....and all it's descendants. they are still popular today as icons of design and function. the added plus is that they are cheap, relatively speaking. It doesn't surprise me at all that Dale can mingle among the tourists of Charleston and not find Leicas. Probably not even Nikons or many Canons dslrs. Mostly smartphones and digital P and S. I have an Oly waterproof TG-4...shoots raw and can stomp on it.

A mechanical Leica and Hasselblad are still things of beauty.....intrinsically worthy. Leica lenses are worthy but perhaps not way ahead of the pack like they used to be since the camera makers design lenses specifically for the specifications of their sensors and other ergonomics. I am flabbergasted at how large many lenses have become these days, although equally flabbergasted at how light some of them are , especially Fuji.

As I mingle among the MANY pro and semi-pro photographers in the Charleston area, I see many, many Nikon D810s, Canon EOS 5Ds MK xxx (whatever). This is a VERY photo-centric site to anyone who knows photography, but it seems that Hap is not among those. Now, back to my actual comments...

Must have struck a raw nerve. No intention there as I actually understand how I did not accurately describe the photographic situation in charleston. Certainly , many serious photographers there are using high grade DSLR's and it was a serious mistake not to make that explicit, and I knew it at the time I was typing. When you referred to "tourists" or implied a tourist mecca, that typically means lots of middle grade dslr's and all types of P and S cameras....and an abundance of smartphones. I live in such a place and encounter it often. Forgive my ignorance......

I am responsible ....
Raid
congratulations!

20160503_153754.jpg
20160503_153909.jpg

Must have struck a raw nerve. No intention there as I actually understand how I did not accurately describe the photographic situation in charleston. Certainly , many serious photographers there are using high grade DSLR's and it was a serious mistake not to make that explicit, and I knew it at the time I was typing. When you referred to "tourists" or implied a tourist mecca, that typically means lots of middle grade dslr's and all types of P and S cameras....and an abundance of smartphones. I live in such a place and encounter it often. Forgive my ignorance......

We belonged to the second largest photo club in the U.S. - Carolinas Nature something or other. Headquartered at the police building in North Charleston. I'll post a photo of the inside. The reason we stopped going is that the other members always used tripods on the outings, and were exclusively "Big Iron" DSLR users. These photos are circa 2010.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I can go out to Old Town Manassas on a weekend and see many people using DSLR's over cell phones. Go to Disneyworld, same thing. I view cell phone cameras as the equivalent of Pocket Instamatics. They all take photographs, and often- the person using them gets interested enough to want better photographs. Chances are they will get a DSLR or upper end non-interchangeable Zoom digital. Will it lead them to buy a Leica- probably not. Getting interested enough in photography to learn the history of it, and wanting to try the tools - better chance.

Most likely the next step up from cellphone cameras for the average person is the pocket zoomer. Today I got the very small Canon SX720 with zoom range (135 eq.) 24 - 960 mm. The image quality on the 960 mm end is fantastic, and the burst speed is enough to guarantee that some of the burst images will be sharp in any reasonable light. But the 20 mp on the 1/2.3 sensor is so ridiculous that even in *good* daylight at ISO 80, most images are very very noisy at 100 percent. I'm finding that the noise in most average images becomes fairly unobtrusive or not obvious when image size is reduced about 35 to 40 percent each direction, or from 20 mp to between 7.2 and 8.4 mp. Then again, most purchasers won't notice.

I guess what you have is a sort of bridge camera......gives you "reach". The lenses can be reasonable sized because the sensors are small. My old NIkon 1 has 15fps on a 1 inch sensor...it's amazing. the pixel density though is not that great. Images are pretty good in poor light. Presumably we will see more of these pocket rocket zoomers in the future unless they can build them into smartphones. You can also get very good video on a 1 inch sensor.....such as the RX10 cams....and a number of Panasonics. Your DLux takes 4 K video....correct? Maybe at some point there will only be very high def video......stills to be grabbed later.

I guess what you have is a sort of bridge camera......gives you "reach". The lenses can be reasonable sized because the sensors are small. My old NIkon 1 has 15fps on a 1 inch sensor...it's amazing. the pixel density though is not that great. Images are pretty good in poor light. Presumably we will see more of these pocket rocket zoomers in the future unless they can build them into smartphones. You can also get very good video on a 1 inch sensor.....such as the RX10 cams....and a number of Panasonics. Your DLux takes 4 K video....correct? Maybe at some point there will only be very high def video......stills to be grabbed later.

The 4k video, if implemented well, is sufficient for the biggest and best TV screens, and the 8 mp individual frames may in some cases make useful stills for their users. BTW, my iPhone 6s+ does 4k video. But the sensor and other factors make a huge difference to the end result. The iPhone is far from the better 4k cameras.

I'd hate to say what's in my bag now....because none of it would fit. New items include a 135mm 3.5 AIS, Canon P (cheap LTM for my russians and old canons, as Raid says everybody should have a canon P or two), and hassleblad 503. the last is the most important. I am now considering what has to go and what should stay.

Went to Samy's yesterday and ogled all the equipment. Sales case had very many used digital cameras, dslrs's. Salesman says they can sell as many as they can get. Do not buy...only take in on trade. I could not help but notice that the store is less well stocked overall than it used to be. I tried to buy a couple of used B60 filters for my Blad....Hah! times have changed. I did opt to put an Lx100 in my hand. that's a sweet camera and so are the fujis and sonys and olys. they seem expensive but maybe that's just me. I could not believe that Panny sells an LX100 with a grip and flash for half the price of a Dlux 9....without that stuff.

Back