Leica What's in your Camera Bag?

This weekend- these two "old lenses" were in my camera bag, along with the M Monochrom...

Attachments

• nikkor_zeiss.jpg
    nikkor_zeiss.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 555
Well that depends on where I am shooting.

In an urban setting, it's my Monochrom, 24 Summilux, f/1 Noctilux and my 90mm APO-Summicron.

Today I am traveling in rural China. So it's my M9/Monochrom, 50mm Summilux, 28mm Elmarit, WATE and 90mm Macro-Elmar

My bag is usually a well beaten Billingham Hadly Pro, also contains extra batteries, SD cards, Passport, glasses, SF24d, and a Weston Light Meter.

Oh, and a few filters...

Yup... it really depends on what I want to shoot or what I feel that day.... It also highly depends how much weight I feel like carrying.

Often... M9 + 24mm Elmarit + 50mm Summilux + 90 Summarit.

Some times... M9 + Noctilux f/1

Other times... M8 35mm Summarit and 75mm Summarit

Lately... M8 + 50mm Asph Summilux and M9 + 35mm Asph summilux

Recently.. M9 + 50mm Asph Summilux and Olympus OMD EM5 + 12-35 f/2.8 and 35-100 f/2.8

Sometimes... its just the OMD EM5 w/ the 12mm f/2, 20mm f/1.7, 45mm f/f/1.8

Add to that batteries and flash sometimes tripod. When I travel, I carry most everything in a Pelican 1510 w/ a single bag.. then I pick and choose day by day. Pelican is pad locked and chained in the hotel room.

I guess I really don't really have a fixed set of stuff I carry in a bag. But I do have a bunch of bags... :p

Egads, I remember when I could carry everything in one bag... Now I am up to three pelican 1510s, and I should really get a fourth, for filters, focoslide, copy stand etc.

One, is for my long lenses (Visoflex). One is for my non Leica (ie: Rollei, Hasselblad). One for my Leica lenses, bellows (& it's lenses), there might be space for a body or two.

I have to prepare before each trip or the extra baggage fees are too much.

I only have two camera bags; Chrome Niko Messenger Bag and the Billingham Leica Combo Bag. I use the chrome bag whenever I'm bringing a tripod with me or if I'm bringing more than one body (i.e. M-E and the EM-5). I will also use my chrome bag if I'm just walking around SF, it draws less attention than the Billingham.

If I'm bringing a bag out with me I normally bring all of my leica gear, which isn't much; M-E, lux 50, Summicron 35, elmarit 28, 1.25 magnifier, universal polarizer and some lens wipes. I really like how small the Billingham combo bag is as I can load it with my leica gear and then stuff the whole bag into my crumpler laptop bag (Boston Heist), when I need to travel for work.

I have a Fogg (not sure what model, bought it quite a few years ago) that hold my Leica 35lux asph, 50 lux asph and 85mm Sonnar ZM. What is missing is the M body as I continue to wait for my next M body. But temporarily, I have a Lumix G1 with Leica adapter.

I also have a Crumpler 5MDH which hold the Nikon V1, SB-N5, 10mm, 18.5mm, 10-30 kit lens and the FT-1. (waiting for a good opportunity to buy the 32mm). Also have the Canon SD 630

Lowepro Fastpack 250 that hold the Nikon D800e, 135 f2.0 DC, 28mm F1.8G, 50mm f1.8G.

Also have an old camera bag that I got from the Philippines back in the 80's from a company called Blazing Product. I interchange this with the Lowepro bag but it will allow me to hold an extra SB800 or SB700 flash

And if I have to leave it in the house, Pelican 1650.

We're switching rooms in the house around, I've been moving cameras, gear, and tools all week.

I've found a few forgotten cameras and lenses...and camera bags going back to when I was 12. That was 44 years ago. That bag has a Kodak Retina Reflex-S and Retina IIIS in it, with lenses that work on the SLR AND RF couple on the IIIS. Not many manufacturers did that.

I don't have a dedicated camera bag as such. Usually an M1936 Musette bag or a G.P ammo bag. Stuffed with a towel or two if I'm carrying delicate materials. I then usually carry a few spare rolls of film (or batteries and flash cards) and a VC-II light meter. Rarely do I travel with more then a 50mm lens.

At present I have one real camera bag from my film SLR days, a Lowepro Street and Field 200 I believe. It is much too large for a Leica and a few lenses, and while large enough, doesn't have enough pockets for two Leicas and a bunch of lenses. My other bag isn't a camera bag at all, but a small Bally messenger bag with no padding that is perfect for a Leica with lens attached, another lens in a soft pouch, a spare batter, a filter or three and perhaps a sunglass case, all without looking like a camera bag.

For gear I am not Leica and iPhone only, having sold my last DSLR and Sony NEX. Here is what I typically carry.

Walking around: No bag at all, either the M8.2 with the 35/2.5 Summarit or the Monochrom with the Zeiss 50 Planar. No hood as these are extremely flare resistant and I want to keep things small.

Regular work day: The Bally bag with the Leica Monochrom and either the 35/2.5 Summarit or one of my 50s (Leitz 50/2 Summitar, Zeiss 50/2 Planar, Jupiter 3). Sometimes I will switch the 50 for the 75 Summarit.

Weekend trip: Bally bag with the Monochrom and Leica 28 /2.8 Elmarit Asph, 50 (usually the Jupiter 3) and Leica 90mm Summarit

Photoshoot or overseas vacation: The big bag with both the Leica Monochrom with the Planar 50 attached and the M8.2 with the 28/2.8 attached. In the bag are the Planer, the 35 Summarit, charger, 2 extra batteries, 2 extra SD cards, plug adapter (depending on country) and an assortment of filters, lens hoods and lens cleaning products.

The biggest downside to my current outfit is all of the different filter sizes. If I'm just taking the Planar (43mm) I have and will use 43mm filters on it, but when carrying more than one lens I'll use a step up ring on my 50mm (39-46 for the Summitar, 40.5-46 on the Jupiter 3 and 43 to 46 on the Planar) and limit myself to a 39mm and 46mm IR/CUT for the M8.2 and take either yellow and red or settle on only orange for the Monochrom.

Then of course there is the mini tripod (an old collapsable Polaroid), cable release and some extra money hidden in a bag pocket.

Asiafish, one of the really great tool I have is the Leica Table top tripod with the large ballhead. This is a great tool as it not only serve as a tripod, but it also can be a shoulder stock. Basically, mount the camera on the ballhead, tilt the legs so that it is touching your chest/shoulder, and hold the camera to your eye level. Really stabilized the camera for shot up to 1/8th, maybe even 1/4th. Other uses, is tilt the leg so that it is secure on a wall, and you can go as slow speed as you want. Great for on the move without the hassle of a big tripod.

Back