What's it like to live where you live

I live in a suburb in Melbourne, about 20 minutes drive from the CBD. There is a wonderful art, music and cafe culture in Melbourne, with the National Gallery of Victoria, Arts Centre and and various other art galleries scattered throughout. Sport plays a big role in many Melbournians' lives, so there are massive sports stadiums here as well, not to mention a world class horse racing track or two.

404384629_6f2d4168e1.jpg

G7 - Arts Centre by Archiver, on Flickr

4675879859_fe267a1056.jpg

M9 + 50/2 - Two and a Half Women by Archiver, on Flickr

The CBD itself is north of a river, and we have a lovely Southbank riverside precinct and picturesque (but populationally dead) Docklands precinct.

404384049_f94495e42a.jpg

G7 - Magic Hour by Archiver, on Flickr

4027934338_6774e32289.jpg

GRD III - Bridge by Night by Archiver, on Flickr

Melbourne has a lot of parklands and reserves, as well as the Dandenong mountain range only an hour and a half from the CBD. Scattered throughout the mountain ranges are little suburb/townish things like Sassafras and Olinda, as well as some glorious gardens and parkland.

5810001910_fb967bed49.jpg

ME - Sitting Serenely by Archiver, on Flickr

Due to the large migrant population of Melbourne, which has, among other things, the largest Greek population outside of Greece, we have many sources of international cuisine. There are hundreds of restaurants with Greek, Italian, Chinese, Lebanese, Japanese, Malaysian, Indonesian, and fusion style food. My job has taken me all over Australia, and I often realize how spoiled for choice we are in Melbourne with the super range of restaurants and foods.

4100991589_f729a9669c.jpg

DP1 - The Gates of Chinatown by Archiver, on Flickr

Things are spread pretty far around here, because there is so much land. The public transportation system is lacking. So to get around, one needs to drive. It's very typical for households to have an average of one car per driving age household member. And because everyone drives, street photography opportunities are far fewer as people are not generally on the sidewalks and streets unless it's in downtown during work hours. After work hours, downtwon is deserted with the exception of the club/bar scene on the weekends...

Where would "here" be???

-Ray

I live in Cirencester formerly known as "Corinium" in Roman Times and was then the capital of the Cotswolds - it is a small but growing market town that currently has a population of around 20,000.

We are within easy travelling distance of some lovely old towns - Cheltenham / Bath / Bristol / Oxford to name a few so have a good selection of period locations to choose from.

We have some great landscapes in and around and also some medieval sites within striking distance so a real photographic mix for street / landscape / cityscape and then for the watersport enthusiasts we are surrounded by lakes that equate to more water than venice!

I live on a farmhouse in the province of Malaga, Spain. On the costa del Sol.

10 min from the coast, the land has a very strong family background, belonged to my Grandfather.

It's paradise, 19 degrees today.

My place looks a lot like this of late. Cold, frosty...and yet strangely invigorating :)

Pentax K-r with DA15mm at f11 - 3 fused bracketed exposures.

5969608314_e8706c4f92_b.jpg

Stunning backyard shot!

Our town is on an escarpment so we can be surrounded by very different weather that can offer some good images - this is one of the more moody images I captured last yer, very much a case of right place - right time!

Lively_sky.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I haven't seen this before either. It was nice to know and see the other parts of the world.

We are 30 miles North of Washinton, DC on Maryland State side, on the border of the city, nature, and the rural farms.

original.jpg

original.jpg

Cherry Blossoms at National Mall in DC, great time to visit the city

original.jpg

Great Falls National Park at Potomac

original.jpg

Old lock house at C&O Canal near Potomac

original.jpg

I live in Moonta South Australia, it's a little country town, in fact the 3 local towns which consist of the Copper Coast (Moonta, Kadina and Wallaroo) only have 13,000 people all up. It's called Australia's Little Cornwall as we were settled as a copper mining town in the 1800's and was mostly made up of Cornish miners. It's a wonderful quiet place to live, no traffic lights even :) it's on the coast and there are some great ruins around the place. We have been here for 4 years and never miss the city of Adelaide where we used to live. Our house is a little miners cottage that was bolt apron 140 years ago.

4108438060_032ac7ac97.jpg

PB160020 by mertlee, on Flickr
5911391262_5ea618762b.jpg

hughes3 by mertlee, on Flickr
3383986958_b598dd6fa8.jpg

Abandoned by mertlee, on Flickr

I live in Moonta South Australia, it's a little country town, in fact the 3 local towns which consist of the Copper Coast (Moonta, Kadina and Wallaroo) only have 13,000 people all up. It's called Australia's Little Cornwall as we were settled as a copper mining town in the 1800's and was mostly made up of Cornish miners. It's a wonderful quiet place to live, no traffic lights even :) it's on the coast and there are some great ruins around the place. We have been here for 4 years and never miss the city of Adelaide where we used to live. Our house is a little miners cottage that was bolt apron 140 years ago.

Gawd its utterly steeped in history. What a wonderful playground for a photographer!

Back