What's it like to live where you live

BillN

Hall of Famer
Name
Bill
Looking around the "members" - there is such a great range of geographical locations - some romantic - some not - others this and that - I can easily get envious!!!

Iv'e just noticed that we have a member, (defektive), who lives in Tasmania, we have also got Grant who lives in Nova Scotia - two places that I would really like to visit - (maybe Nova Scotia one day - but Tasmania is just a long long way)

What's it like living were you live?

We live in rural SW France - it pretty slow here in the afternoon - the internet connection is slow, (as well) - in fact it's pretty slow here most of the time - but we like the "rural tranquillity" - we have a couple of French "neighbours" and we usually have our daily chat about "the usual" - what we ate last night, what we are having/had for lunch, what's on the menu for dinner and have you been to any good restaurants recently,
We need our shot of "busy" once a month, so it's usually back to the UK, (easyjet flights are so cheap if you pick your time - we can as we are "retired"), every other month, and into Bordeaux at least once a month.

It's about time for my English "cup of afternoon tea and a Twix - you cannot get too much excitement!!!!

I think most of us who are lucky enough not to be too "stuck" in a particular location seem to find the kinds of places we like over time. I live in a small town that's about 35-45 minutes from Philadelphia. Its small but fairly urban, but because its small I can ride my bike into completely rural and undeveloped areas very easily - when I'm in shape I'll often wander well out into Amish country and mix it up with the horses and buggies. We live right in the middle of town so I can walk to anything but a large grocery store and I can easily ride my bike to those. Lots of shops and restaurants within a couple of blocks of our place. But a small enough town that I'm always running into people I know on the streets or in shops or restaurants. And I can hop on a commuter train and be in downtown Philly in less than an hour.

In the past I've lived in urban downtowns (Seattle), urban neighborhoods (Seattle and here near Philly) very very small towns (Colorado), suburbs (Seattle area, Baltimore area, Tucson) and I think that a small, walkable town with everything at hand, close enough to both a big city and rural areas to enjoy the benefits of both, is about perfect for my wife and I. And after trying some of the alternatives, we've found it and have been here for about 20 years. My growing passion for street photography makes me think I'd like to live in the middle of a big city again sometime, but on balance, I probably wouldn't like it as much if I was there ALL the time. So i think the kind of place we live now is about perfect. For us, at least.

-Ray

Living in Houston, Texas. It is one of the places that falls into the "not romantic" geographical location that Bill is referring to! However, cost of living here is inexpensive and it's a fairly laid back place even for big city. I live close to downtown Houston in what I call a "developing area." It's an area where there are/were a lot of old wooden shacks that have been replaced with three story modern townhomes. Primarily single younger professionals living in this area. Once people get married, they seem to move to the suburbs.

In Houston, it's almost impossible to walk to places. Things are spread pretty far around here, because there is so much land. The public transportation system is lacking. So to get around, one needs to drive. It's very typical for households to have an average of one car per driving age household member. And because everyone drives, street photography opportunities are far fewer as people are not generally on the sidewalks and streets unless it's in downtown during work hours. After work hours, downtwon is deserted with the exception of the club/bar scene on the weekends (and sometimes weeknights). Ok, back to work ... for now!

I live in part of a set of converted mill buildings in a semi-rural part of Worcestershire, which is pretty much in the centre of England. However its 5 minutes to the nearest town centre and 5 minutes from open countryside. About 30 minutes to the centre of Birmingham.

Lots of nice landscape locations within easy reach, including the Cotswolds. Stratford-upon-Avon is about 20 minutes away.

I moved here after living in London for 30 years and its pretty quiet though not isolated.

I live in Huntsville, AL. I live about 20 miles south of the TN state line. Huntsville is home to to NASA, Redstone Arsenal, and the Marshall Space flight center. Huntsville started to become an engineering town when Wernher von Braun came here and developed booster rockets for the first space shuttles.

We have short springs and fall and relatively mild winters. Summers are long and are usually dryier than most of the south. Huntsville is actually in a Valley. To the south is the Tennessee River along with large hills/mountains. In the east there is also a hill/mountain ridge. To the west of Huntsville is just a large plateu in which Huntsville sits on. Huntsville at one time was also considered to be the allergy capital of the world depending on the year(every year if you ask me!)

The city has about 100k residents with the county having closer to almost 250k residents. The city itself is mostly family oriented, but it is probably the most progressive city in Alabama. The downtown Huntsville area is really small since most of the daily business actually occurs in Cummins Research park or the Redstone Aresenal. The city/area for the most part has benifited from cheap farmland around it which has lent to significant suburban sprawl over the last 10 or so years. Compared to Chattanooga, which population wise is smaller, Huntsville feels less touristy and more spread out.

In regards to photography, most of what I enjoy is scenic. There are lots of small and medium sized waterfalls in North Alabama, all fairly seasonal and dependant upon rain. As far as city/street photography, there really isn't that much interesting to me around here to take pictures of. I enjoy local and regional hiking here a good bit, as long as its not too hot or too cold.

I live in the Cotswolds, which mostly qualifies as one of those romantic locations.
Cheltenham has a population of just over 100,000 but is small enough to walk around, and seem to attract a host of good events disproportionate with its size, The racecourse - for horse racing - might have something to do with this. I live in the town centre, and it's quite nice. But I moved here from Bath, so sometimes I do think it could do with a bit of TLC ;) 😁

I live in central Texas in what we call the Hill Country, in a rural location just outside a small town that is mainly a retirement community, filled with people a lot older than me. Rural Texas, what can I say? After living more than half my life in Austin, a vibrant city with all kinds of people and entertainment, I'm still not used to this place. But I do love having all kinds of birds and wildlife outside my windows and a beautiful river fairly nearby. The west Texas semi-desert is creeping closer to us with our frequent droughts (including a severe one right now) and I did not sign on for desert living. My husband loves it here but I'm always scheming about moving someplace cooler and closer to a good camera store! A word to the wise: any of you considering retiring and moving from a city to a rural location would be wise to rent first!

I live in Westchester County which is a suburban county outside of New York City...but the county spans so many different types of towns and cities some inland and very urban, while others are along the coastline of Long Island Sound - a saltwater body of water that you can see here via Google maps. I live in Rye which was founded back in the 1660s, and named after Rye, England.:th_salute:

Rye is what's called a bedroom community. Many people here commute into Manhattan via the train, though some do work locally and others commute north into Connecticut or across the county into other cities and even into neighboring counties in New York, across the Hudson River. Our town is very pretty and is known for its trees - so summertime is a highlight around here due to the shade trees that line many of the streets. However, the town has changed dramatically over time. Its small town feeling is almost gone, though there are still plenty of neighborhoods where children do actually play on the streets or in each other's yards - so that's a plus. But the ambience has changed here - negatively, in my opinion. It used to be very low key and understated, whereas the extreme wealth of the area has increased and unfortunately some of the attitudes of inhabitants have too.

We are fortunate, however, to have a county owned nature conservancy that is quite large for a suburban and crowded area...144 acres of woods, fields, salt marsh and Long Island Sound...we have a town park that is beautiful and does allow beach access for permit holders...whereas most of the coastline is privately owned either by country clubs or individuals. Summer is beautiful, though we're in a heat wave right now, fall is also lovely, and winters are usually not that bad, though last years was filled with snow!

My guess is that most of the people who live around here are pretty happy where they're living except for the cost of living - it's very high, as our the taxes. Rye used to have a small town feel and the shops on the main street, which is still picturesque, were small and family owned...not so anymore, I'm sad to say. The good part is that I can walk to town in about 5 minutes but the sad part is that there is nothing there that attracts me. I'm ready for a change and looking for more privacy and a slower pace where people are less harried and more polite.;)

The big draw here is the proximity to Manhattan, the prettiness of the town, the access to Long Island Sound, and the good schools.

P.S. Bill
It's about time for my English "cup of afternoon tea and a Twix - you cannot get too much excitement!!!!
:D

I live in the Cotswolds, which mostly qualifies as one of those romantic locations.
Cheltenham has a population of just over 100,000 but is small enough to walk around, and seem to attract a host of good events disproportionate with its size, The racecourse - for horse racing - might have something to do with this. I live in the town centre, and it's quite nice. But I moved here from Bath, so sometimes I do think it could do with a bit of TLC ;) 😁

My favorite place in the world. The Cotswolds!

As it a has been said before I live in Nova Scotia. That is not saying a lot because as small as Nova Scotia is it is a very diverse place. You only have to drive a few mile and everything changes.

I live Martins Brook on the outskirts of Lunenburg and we officially classes as living in Lunenburg (Population 2307). Lunenburg has been Designated at a UNESCO World Heritage Site due to being the best example of planned British colonial settlement in North America. It is also a designated as a Canadian government historical site.

Lunenburg has it roots in agriculture, fishing and ship building. The farms range from dairy to vineyards. Fishing includes scallops, lobster, and muscles. Some of the famous ships built in town are The Bounty (Mutiny on the Bounty), Rose (Master and Commander), Bluenose and Bluenose II, Because to the beauty and history the town has become one of Canada’s majour tourist destinations. This had spawned a vibrant community filled with art and culture of all types ranging from majour festivals to small fun events and more art galleries and restaurants than a town this size would normally have.

Because of this the opportunity for me to photograph change from day. One day I may have the chance to capture the arrival of a tall ship and the next day the fog will bank in create beautiful atmospheric shots of fish stores. You just never know!

If anyone comes to Lunenburg let me know as I am always happy to squire my photographic friends around.

Lunenburg

Never been to Lunenburg, Grant, but I've been to Halifax and spent several days riding my bike around Cape Breton Island on the Cabot Trail. Cape Breton is one of the handful of prettiest places I've been on earth and I know that Nova Scotia isn't ALL like that, but the various photos I've seen of Lunenburg look awfully nice as well. I think that's a pretty special corner of the world you have up there.

-Ray

Born and raised in the hills of Kentucky, just south of the Bluegrass area. After living the last 40 years in many different states, from Michigan to Mississippi and Texas to Alaska we have retired back to the county next to our birth place. But we are fultime RV'ers and have family and friends all over. So maybe?

We are currently parked on the edge of Campbellsville, a town of approx, 15,000. This is farm and cattle country. So nearly everything is influnced by that. A lot of beauty that changes with weather and seasions. Right now the tenps are in mid 90s f with high humidity. so my camera is getting a bit lazy. Spring and Fall it's wonderful!

If you happen by our parts, drop in for a visit. We will treat you so many ways, you will surly like one of them.

I was raised in North Texas near Wichita Falls. The area is kind of desolate and windy. 110 F in the summer and cold in the winter because of the wind blowing off the plains. All my family live in Seymour, three brothers and one sister. I left there as soon as I graduated high school and have lived in Wichita Falls, Austin, Sweetwater, San Angelo, and Corsicana in Texas. My father was from East Texas a few miles from Edgewood where we now live. The only other states I've lived in are Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona, Louisiana and Alaska.

I love the rural life and really hate living in the big city. I guess Austin ruined me because the traffic is so bad there. Austin is a nice town with lots to do, just not enough road capacity for all those people.

It's nice to be in a place you are familiar with, at least it is for me.

Perth in Western Australia is one of the most isolated capital cities in the world. The state of WA occupies the western 1/3 of the Australian continent. We have a beautiful climate with long dry summers and shortish wetter winters although rrcent winters have been very dry. Perth is a city of about 1 million people and straddles the picturesque Swan river. Summers average about 35C with 40C+ days not uncommon. Winter averages 20C.

38171761_286f0d9230_b.jpg

I live in Hurworth a village next to Darlington, North East England. It is a wealthy place (alas not me:() with a lot of historic Georgian houses. It was a burial ground for plague victims in the middle ages! Lewis Carroll the writer lived in the adjoining village, Croft. Although born in London I have lived in the North East since I was 4 years old. Oh, by the way the Town Darlington is the renowned for being the birth of the railways, Stephensons Rocket and all that. I envy some of the locations of some of you, never been to New York............I have to go even if it's for one of the famous 'Chilli Dogs'. :)

Land of Waterfalls

I live in Transylvania County :eek: near Brevard, NC. Have I scared you yet? Half of the county is national forest (Pisgah National Forest). As the title hints we have over 300 waterfalls in our county.

I happen to live in a unique community eight miles south of Brevard called Connestee Falls. Its a gated community with around 1600 homes. Inside the gated community are close to 50 miles of roads at 25 mph. We have 4 lakes, 2 40 acre lakes and 2 80 acre lakes. All are stocked with fish and no outboard gas powered engines are allowed. We have an 18 hole golf course, heated outdoor olympic size lap pool, indoor fitness, bocce, tennis and a few miles of hiking trails. The best part for me, is half the residents aren't here in the winter time.

I happen to live off the first green of the golf course and a couple blocks from one of our 4 lakes. Its makes for a perfect walk every morning with the dog!

BTW, our elevation is 3,000 feet.

If you're into hiking and the outdoors this is the place to be. Also if you like fly fishing, this is the fly fishing mecca on the east coast. North Carolina has 3 trout hatcheries and releases close to a million trout a year into our local streams. Near here are around 600 miles of streams.

Of course fall is quite beautiful with the autumn leaves. (2nd to 3rd week of October is best)

North of us is Asheville (45 miles) with the Biltmore Estate and many other attractions.

I hope to share some of our beauty here with my new serious compact and maybe some of you may get a chance to visit.

dorfinator,

I spent a few days hiking around Brevard. It is beautiful up there. Lots of scenery and waterfalls. The only thing I'd complain about is the slow two lane roads required to get around between cities.

Dorf, I just read your post aloud to my husband. His reaction: "Let's go! Let's take a ride down there!"

I love the sound of Transylvania County.:D I did laugh when I read
he best part for me, is half the residents aren't here in the winter time.
! I've never been to that part of the great state of North Carolina and have wanted to check out your part of the state for a long time. I promise to keep you posted.

Back