Fuji What's "Pro" about the X-Pro 1?

wt21

Hall of Famer
Having tested the XPro 1 in the fall, and now having an XE1 (both for a short time, so I'm no expert), it strikes me -- what's "Pro" about the XPro 1? They are more different than one being better than the other.

It's almost like the XPro 1 could be renamed "XO1" (O=optical, E=electronic). It's got a unique feature (OVF) and is bigger, which is important to some.

Or, if the release an XPro 2 (of course, the XPro 1 was first, so the XE1 has the newer improvements), they should probably add a much faster buffer, up the EVF and LCD refresh rate, help the processing speed. At first I thought they should up the fps, but that's not really the ethos of a rangefinder camera. Maybe another direct button or two that the XPro1 might have, but not the XE1.

Oh well, just ruminating. It'll be interesting to see the XPro2.

Probably just for aesthetic purposes?

I believe the 'E' is for the 'Electronic' viewfinder, I'm thinking the 'Pro' is used with the conjunction of the OVF which does not give the WYSIWYG and instead relies of the shooter's own adjustments to know exactly how will the image turn out as opposed to just pressing the shutter button and hoping for the best which leads us to think that this is for "Pro" users. Then again this might just be a marketing tool.

If someone mentions to me the word 'XO', three things pop to my head
1. Cognac
2. Executive officer (acronym used in the military)
3. Special number 3 (Grilled pork with XO sauce) from my local take away.

You might want to ask these these guys that question (and a casual web search will give you lots of other "professional" photographers such as Zak Arias to name another one using the X Pro). But really what's professional about any camera? I have generally found that "pro" thing is fascinating to people who don't actually do photography for a living. When I shot Pentax on the Pentax forum they were constantly obsessing about "pro" gear because for some reason they would become better photographers if their Pentax camera was the same as a Canon or Nikon. I don't think the camera is going to make anyone that much better of a photographer. I shoot a Nikon Full Frame which has pro specs. I sure don't use it anywhere near as much as the X Pro. In fact given the image quality coming out of the Fuji, I'm slowly divesting myself of the Nikon gear even though it's "pro" stuff.

Film Noir ~ A Hollywood style reborn - ProPhotoNut by Lovegrove Adventures

Dave Kai-Piper And His Fuji X-Pro1 - NSFW

Amazing they managed to even focus the camera and all without a tilt screen or multiple axis IBIS......

I guess Pro is Canon, Nikon, Phase One, and Hasselblad. That would be my answer.

But really what's professional about any camera?

True, good photos can use a camera phone, but the difference between a 1Dx and a Canon Rebel is obvious. It's much less obvious on the X series. Put it another way what's not "pro" about the XE1 that the XPro 1 gets the "Pro" in the name. Maybe XPro 2 will step it up a bit???

Well clearly the 'Pro' is about market positioning.

In terms of the actual camera, it certainly seems that a reasonable number of people who make some or all of their income from photography find the camera capable of delivering.

I suppose what matters is that for those who like it, it's a reasonably fine photographic tool, and the name probably doesn't cause too much thought to them. They are too busy making pictures.

Well clearly the 'Pro' is about market positioning.

In terms of the actual camera, it certainly seems that a reasonable number of people who make some or all of their income from photography find the camera capable of delivering.

I suppose what matters is that for those who like it, it's a reasonably fine photographic tool, and the name probably doesn't cause too much thought to them. They are too busy making pictures.

Agree with your first point, Pelao, it is positioning.

Don't forget, WT, the X-Pro 1 came out after the X-100 and before the X-E1, and Fuji probably positioned it precisely to target the serious amateurs and, eventually, the pros, i.e., people who take photos for a living. Looking around the on various blogs and websites, seems like many of them are in fact using the X-Pro1 as second bodies or even getting rid of their DSLR kits altogether.

I think the X-Pro was the pro model compared with all of Fuji's other X cameras when it came out. Bigger with pro ergonomics, heavier and sturdier, and interchangeable lenses. Perhaps the name would have been different if the X-E1 came out first.

Oh yes, Penfan. You are right about that. I guess my rumination (and it's just meant as a topic of discussion) is how is the XE1 Not pro, but the XPro gets that name? It's just marketing on the first model release, but I wonder if they'll do anything to separate the XPro 2 from the XE series.

^But it does have a PC sync terminal.

I agree that a better naming convention would have been X-O1, the O being for OVF seeing as that is the primary differentiating factor, but that's in hindsight since the X-E1 did not yet exist.

Back