What's the most compact "serious" camera?

For me a serious compact is a compromise that
- covers as much of my general photographic needs (flexibility, controls/handling, reliability, speed, IQ, ...)
- and remaining emotional and aesthetic (NO smartphone or soap bar) needs as possible
- in a body that's small/light and rugged enough to be carried around all day in all sorts of situations, imposing the least burden/interference possible on the semi-nomadic way I live.
For the last couple years it's been a Fuji X10 and even though my XP1 wipes the floor with it's little brother IQ wise and I have a very comfortable sniper strap that lets me carry that brick all day without any strain whatsoever on my neck most of the times I instinctively grab my X10. Must be love or something. YMMV.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I don't think I'm going any smaller than the RX100, but I was curious to see if anything smaller was really making the grade for anyone. I think this is kind of like the "best pound for pound fighter" ranking in boxing. I think the RX100 is our Floyd Mayweather.

I've considered this same situation. My choice would be the Fuji XQ1 which is smaller than the XF1 and has a power on button... just never could get used to twist and pull to turn on. The XQ1 is marginally smaller all round, than the RX100 (first gen)

Compare camera dimensions side by side

For me a serious compact is a compromise that
- covers as much of my general photographic needs (flexibility, controls/handling, reliability, speed, IQ, ...)
- and remaining emotional and aesthetic (NO smartphone or soap bar) needs as possible
- in a body that's small/light and rugged enough to be carried around all day in all sorts of situations, imposing the least burden/interference possible on the semi-nomadic way I live.
For the last couple years it's been a Fuji X10 and even though my XP1 wipes the floor with it's little brother IQ wise and I have a very comfortable sniper strap that lets me carry that brick all day without any strain whatsoever on my neck most of the times I instinctively grab my X10. Must be love or something. YMMV.

I agree about the X10. It may be the smallest "real camera". While I can't say I like the shooting experience with the RX100, after adding a grip I found it perfectly OK. The X10 otoh is fun to use.

I've considered this same situation. My choice would be the Fuji XQ1 which is smaller than the XF1 and has a power on button... just never could get used to twist and pull to turn on. The XQ1 is marginally smaller all round, than the RX100 (first gen)

Compare camera dimensions side by side

I had forgotten about the XQ1. It is smaller than the F1, but I'd honestly have trouble choosing it because I really like the EXR technology.

XQ1 does indeed come into mind, other than that the Ricoh GR or LX7

if the LX8 does indeed deliver in a size similar to the LX7 we may have a winner

Back