Cleaning What's your experience with cleaning dust on a sensor in a camera with a fixed (zoom) lens?

fotobakkerij

Regular
Name
Peter Bakker
Currently my two months old Olympus XZ-10 is at Olympus for cleaning the sensor after I noticed some dust and returned it to the shop where I bought it. It will take about 4 weeks As far as I know it will be done under warranty.

I asked both Olympus and Panasonic about there warranty/repair policies in case of dust on the sensor in a camera with a fixed (zoom) lens. Olympus says it is not normal that dust will reach a sensor under normal circumstances and that they will investigate case by case if they can clean it under warranty. Panasonic won't give a clear answer which give me not much in buying a camera like the DMC-FZ1000 or DMC-LX100.

Now I'm interested in real world experiences on how a dust on a sensor in a fixed (zoom) lens camera issue was solved by different brands. What brand offers the best service in a case like this?

Hi Peter!
If I understand it correctly, your question is about how companies deal with it once you send the camera to them; not how to clean the sensor yourself? Just clarifying, I don't have any experience with either :tongue: so I can't really be of help here:redface:

Hi Bart,

That's right. I'm trying to find out how different companies deal with the situation, especially if they are cleaning it for free under warranty or if you must pay a lot (compared to the value of the camera) for the cleaning.The reason is that we have a D70 which is starting to get some problems and I'm thinking to replace it with a fixed zoom lens camera like the DMC-FZ1000 or the Stylus 1. But knowing that getting dust on the sensor with such cameras is a real risk I'm also thinking about getting a (M)ILC which is easier and faster to clean.

One of the prime reasons I won't own another fixed lens camera (other than my phone), especially if its a camera I planned on using past the manufacturer's warranty. But then the manufacturer's warranty doesn't normally cover dust on the sensor.

I've had a hundred different digicams with fixed lenses, and rarely have had obvious sensor dust. The digicam is an electrostatic device, and is usually not sealed against the environment, so once you do something to introduce dust inside, that dust can be attracted to the sensor like glue, due to electrostatic charges. The worst cases in my experience are from not having a case for the camera that seals up, or zippers up completely. Openings in cases, or not using a case, or worst of all - putting the naked camera into a pocket or bag - those are major leaks for dust getting in.

The worst cases in my experience are from not having a case for the camera that seals up, or zippers up completely. Openings in cases, or not using a case, or worst of all - putting the naked camera into a pocket or bag - those are major leaks for dust getting in.

I agree and I always used a belt bag with closed zipper. Just checked the bag and it still looks as dust free as when I received it :)

One of the prime reasons I won't own another fixed lens camera (other than my phone), especially if its a camera I planned on using past the manufacturer's warranty. But then the manufacturer's warranty doesn't normally cover dust on the sensor.

Hi Duane,

I'm thinking the same now. I've an three year warranty on my XZ-10 and I don't think I will replace it with another small camera after that but with phone with a better camera than my current Moto G. But I haven't decided yet about the D70 replacement.

Back