Leica What's your favorite lens?

My combo for travel as I do that more than half the year is the 35 Lux ASPH. and APO 75 Cron. When I need something in the middle I have the last version of the 50 Lux non-ASPH.

l1039890-duanelpandorf.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

75 Cron

l1040095bw-duanelpandorf.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

35 Lux

Last edited by a moderator:
For "normal" focal length, I really enjoy using the 50/2.8 Elmar-M V2; as far as I can tell it's relentlessly sharp and its collapsability makes it extremely compact on any M. On my M8, I use the CV 35/2.5 Color Skopar PII, with the crop factor provides the equivalent of 47mm.

For a wide, it's the CV 15/4.5 Super-Wide Heliar, hands down.

50mm lux asph for best combination of useful field of view, image quality and particularly beautiful bokeh. But for portability 35mm summicron v4 (v4 just happens to be what I have but any version would be great).

My current favourite is my 35mm Summicron. I think it's the third version (spring-loaded separate lens hood with vents). I haven't had it long but I love the fact that I can do anything from landscapes to street to portraits with it - without compromising image quality - and it's possible to isolate backgrounds when shooting wide open.

I sold the 50 Summicron and bought the 50 Summilux ASPH, but at this point my favorite lens is probably the new Lomo Jupiter 3+ or my 1937 Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm f/1.5 Sonnar.

Once you get hooked on Sonnars it's difficult to look back. Zenit did a great job on the Jupiter-3+, and the build quality reminds me of the classic Nikkor lenses.

Back