When is a “Serious Compact” not really a compact?

In my very poor opinion a compact camera is the one that make me feel easy carrying it, with its handeling and flexibility. I am struggeling finding one at this moment.

Probably the day when Nikon Sony fuji and Oly will create a D800 size fixed lens camera body by nikon with a 4/3 format Sony sensor and sharp bright oly lens that goes from 8mm - 100mm with constant f/2.0 of physical size and weight of maybe 70-200mm mm f2.8 lensand huge bright fuji hybrid VF, I will be very happy calling the glorious day that the true compact is born. And no, i beg to differ canon s100 and sony rx100 are way too big for me, to fit in my side table drawer, as I know if I will buy any of these super compacts they will stay at home almost all the time!

in nutshell compact is a very subjective term and it varies on people to people depending on their style of photography and at some little extend size of hands :)

Heh. This discussion is rad.

Luckypenguin: It's not collapsible. The accordian material could be folded up to put in a big bag together with the rail, lens, film-back, loupe, But you do need an extra bag for the lens, focus hoop. So yar. It's a compact!

Jock Elliot: yup. That's the SD card for the camera. It only take one image and can only be written once. Given that the image is equivalent to a >600Mpix raw image, it's pretty impressive. :D

Amin: Great covers. Was the Epson RD-1 ever considered a compact system camera too?

And no, i beg to differ canon s100 and sony rx100 are way too big for me, to fit in my side table drawer, as I know if I will buy any of these super compacts they will stay at home almost all the time!

Very interesting that you say that. A few years ago I always wanted to use a larger camera but found it awkward to carry everywhere. Conversely, while I could always carry a pocket camera everywhere, I never wanted to use one. That's why I find the current selection of cameras that straddle the traditional catergories of large and compact cameras to be just right.

...I find the current selection of cameras that straddle the traditional catergories of large and compact cameras to be just right.
Truely, also if extreme portability is the ultimate goal why not serious mobile cameras ..
like Nokia 808 PureView with Carl Zeiss F2.4 8.02mm lens (26mm, 16:9 | 28mm, 4:3 equiv)
I just upgraded my iphone for the same reason. very good iQ on these cameras combining app based panorama and HDR functionality:

Leaving my DSLR at home: An iPhone experiment: Connect

Back