Fuji When shooting vertically...

JoeLopez

Veteran
When you take a vertical shot, do you hold the camera with the shutter release near the top or bottom?

I've always shot with the shutter release near the top (right hand over the left hand).

Today I printed my first image straight form the X100T to the Instax printer, it was a vertical image SOOC and came out 'upside down' on the Instax print (wider border on top rather than on bottom).

Leads me to believe that Fuji believes we should shoot left hand over right hand?

Last edited by a moderator:
For a vertical image, I've always turned the camera clockwise, so the shutter release is on my right. I've done that no matter the manufacturer of the camera, and the images have always been correctly oriented. I don't know if that's some sort of industry standard, but it's always worked for me.

Considering SLR & DSLR camera grips/winders encourage you to turn the camera counter-clockwise, Fuji needs to change their ways :)

I do both, actually. More often I'm "overhand" but plenty of shots come out the other way, so I nust have some compelling reason to tuck my arm under instead of over, sometimes. I don't think about it.

I shoot overhand, too. It makes more sense to rotate the camera clockwise, puts the flash on top, but it feels awkward.

For a vertical image, I've always turned the camera clockwise, so the shutter release is on my right. I've done that no matter the manufacturer of the camera, and the images have always been correctly oriented. I don't know if that's some sort of industry standard, but it's always worked for me.

Are you right or left handed Tony? Just wondering if dominant hand has any bearing on shutter hand over or under?

While thinking about this, I ran through my camera settings. I already have it set to not autorotate
Do you mean your right hand ends up on the bottom Tony? The shutter release would always be on the right, unless you are shooting upside down :)

I rarely shot vertical until I bought the vertical grip for my XT-2. Now I would say most mt shots are vertical. When I am without the grip it is, right hand over top. That grip made a great improvement on my photographic skills.

I rarely shot vertical until I bought the vertical grip for my XT-2. Now I would say most mt shots are vertical. When I am without the grip it is, right hand over top. That grip made a great improvement on my photographic skills.
This is true for many people. A vertical grip just makes it that much more natural to use the camera in that orientation.

No vertical grip available for the XT-10, and my carpal tends to act up when the wrist is bent in the "overarm" move, so I tend to "underarm" as it reduces the discomfort.

Historically that would mean even more skewed vertical shots for me :D but thanks to the virtual level and the Rule of Thirds overlays, even this unsteady photographer can get a reasonably straight shot.

image.jpeg
Leica instructions from the 1950s.

I usually use the method on the right.

Back