Where does the Lytro light field camera fit in?

Boid

All-Pro
Name
Rajiv
Lytro just launched their camera at Lytro

Talks about an 11 megaray resolution which means diddly squat to me. Could someone make sense of this?

No details of sensor size on the website.

The lens is a - 8x optical zoom; Constant f/2 lens.

Would you buy it?

Lytro said:
Unlike a conventional camera that captures a single plane of light, the Lytro camera captures the entire light field, which is all the light traveling in every direction in every point in space.

hmm .. I think I know boll**ks when I read it ...

Here's a teardown by the FCC. Lytro Teardown Shows Potential Wireless Capability, Smallish Sensor – TechCrunch

Still no word on the final image size.

OK, I get it, Its great we can recompose after shooting the pic. Bloody brilliant. But what's the size of the final image? Can I take it to print, etc? Have scoured the webs, no one is talking about it, and Lytro is behaving as if they'll manage to avoid the conversation entirely and still sell their camera to a befuddled public. It has a sensor a smudge bigger than 1/2.3"

Some reviews -

Lytro: The camera that could change photography forever | Digital Trends

I was on their list when they were giving subscribers first option in on purchase. Unfortunately at the time it only had mac software so I had no use for it with pc's. You can see the specs here: https://www.lytro.com/camera#tab-specs . Sensor? Here: How does the Lytro Light Field Camera work? : Lytro Support. You can post to their site the living images you create and from what I read a few months ago you can also make it a fixed image as in choose one of those focuses and export it I believe as a jpg. As one of the picture formats anyway which means you could print that. You can look up info here. Lytro Support : Knowledgebase It's a nifty little device and I'd like to try one but it's still only for mac users and my mac laptop OS is too old.

I was on their list when they were giving subscribers first option in on purchase. Unfortunately at the time it only had mac software so I had no use for it with pc's. You can see the specs here: https://www.lytro.com/camera#tab-specs . Sensor? Here: How does the Lytro Light Field Camera work? : Lytro Support. You can post to their site the living images you create and from what I read a few months ago you can also make it a fixed image as in choose one of those focuses and export it I believe as a jpg. As one of the picture formats anyway which means you could print that. You can look up info here. Lytro Support : Knowledgebase It's a nifty little device and I'd like to try one but it's still only for mac users and my mac laptop OS is too old.

Voila! Thanks Isoterica. Some information about converting to jpg at last. They very cryptically mention a "minimum" jpeg output of 1080 pixels x 1080 pixels. What file formats does the Lytro support? : Lytro Support I still think they are skirting the issue here. Who cares about the minimum? A figure on the maximum jpeg output would be more useful. I think this camera is designed for 'facebook' usage only.

If you can save to jpg then its not facebook only. If it is then it will pass me by, I don't facebook. Glad the info helped. Maybe scour some photo sites see if you can find lytro images.

The Lytro technology has been criticised as being too low res and although the technology is very different and revolutionary, it's being viewed as a toy for amateurs. Other companies like Red are attemping to develop the multi-focus technology for applications in a professional context in still photography and in 4K RAW video. So in filmmaking, you can film something and then play with the focus points later (as I understand it).

Review at DPreview. Interesting technology for the long term but looks pretty limited right now. More for gadget types than photographers at the moment.

Back