Fuji Where is the love...

Lightmancer

Legend
Name
Bill Palmer
...for the X-Q1 and the X20? I don't see any chat or images here. Do people have them? Are theyloved, used? Or do they suffer from "second born syndrome", in which case they will surely be bargains before too long...

Thoughts, comments - declamations of ownership and declarations of love?

Sent from another Galaxy

I've been asking that myself the other day not at last since the X10 is my most beloved camera ever and I literally don't leave home without it. Browsing through the foto forums these days though it's almost all about tech specs and the ongoing quest for technical perfection ... mega-pixels, super-sharpness and resolution, ultra-low noise, full-frame, super-fast lenses, ultra-wide angles, nirvana bokeh, the latest and the greatest, ... Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's perfectly human nature :) and keeps that leaky boat afloat, but those little Fujis fall a bit short in that sort of sport, however amazing they are in their own rights.

I think that's a good summary. I had an X10 - my very first X - and I loved it but it was a bit of an in-betweenie due to the lack of pocketability. I have an Xf-1 as my "briefcase camera" and see not enough difference to upgrade to the undoubtedly competent XQ. I am quite attracted to the 20 though... The 10 was an excellent "light" travel camera and I am sure the 20 would fill the same niche. Maybe a refurb. or a secondhand...

[edit - it's the GAS talking, isn't it... Must go and take a Rennie...]

I had an X10 (two actually, one with orbs, one without) and really liked it a lot. But I just finally came to terms with the fact that after an initial burst of use, I don't end up using little all-in-one pocket zoom cameras enough to justify keeping one. I did some light travel with the X10 where it was almost all I shot with and I liked it a lot. But since I kept it at 28mm most of the time, I just find something like the Nikon A or X100 or Ricoh GR to be a better pocket camera for me. If I thought I'd get enough use out of it, I think I'd still own an X10 or X20 - they still represent a great set of tradeoffs among the small zoom compacts out there today, and the X10 was a lot of fun to shoot with. But I know I'd rarely if ever use it...

-Ray

I have alle of them, of course, but I think that the lure of an X-A1 double zoom kit for less than 500 Euros makes many compact users reconsider. Plus, the A1/M1 is so compact with the pancake lens that I can use one even when I'm sitting on a horse.

View attachment 20075DSCF3448 – Lightroom 5.4 by ricopress, on Flickr

13745956693_b233bf4159.jpg
DSCF3441 – JPEG by ricopress, on Flickr

Not to mention low light capabilities, here my A1 yesterday at ISO 6400 with bouncing built-in flash:

13787831504_d76ecde288_c.jpg

I think that's a good summary. I had an X10 - my very first X - and I loved it but it was a bit of an in-betweenie due to the lack of pocketability. I have an Xf-1 as my "briefcase camera" and see not enough difference to upgrade to the undoubtedly competent XQ. I am quite attracted to the 20 though... The 10 was an excellent "light" travel camera and I am sure the 20 would fill the same niche. Maybe a refurb. or a secondhand...

[edit - it's the GAS talking, isn't it... Must go and take a Rennie...]

I thought about getting a X20 more than once, but then I'm just happy with what I get out of my X10 and wouldn't really want to part from it or see it gathering dust unless Fuji finally, IF ever, give us an one-inch sensor (14bit RAW) follow-up (revenge for the RX100, lol). On a side note that little beast is so darn good that the results, properly PPed are about up on par with the average casual stuff I've shot on B&W film with my heavy Nikon gear back in the days and to a long suffering ex-Nikon sherpa that really means something. I've done a good number of large B&W prints from images I've shot with the X10 (L mode-RAW), up to 40x30 inches and I guess pretty much anyone would be hard pressed to tell which camera they've been shot with (I wouldn't go that far with color shots though). Regarding pocketability for me the size is perfect, I really wouldn't want it to be any smaller, but again, that's just me and one of the reasons I use it far more than any of my larger cameras.
Now Fuji, where's that one-inch wonder ?

For me, both the X10 and XF1 continue to be fun, interesting cameras that give me good results. Fuji's control interface and EXR technology keep them from becoming boring. And I still get favorable comments from people about the styling and operation of both. So I see no need to upgrade to the X20 or XQ1. But if my XF1 were suddenly broken, it might be a tough call between an XQ1 and a Sony RX100 Mark I.

I had the XF1 and X10 but after getting the RX100 it was game over. I loved the Fujis and especially the UI and colors, but the Sony just has big camera pop in a small form factor.

I've been asking that myself the other day not at last since the X10 is my most beloved camera ever and I literally don't leave home without it. Browsing through the foto forums these days though it's almost all about tech specs and the ongoing quest for technical perfection ... mega-pixels, super-sharpness and resolution, ultra-low noise, full-frame, super-fast lenses, ultra-wide angles, nirvana bokeh, the latest and the greatest, ....

Must agree Snapdawg. Bored off my t*ts with usless countless repetitive semi 'serious' reviews/reports of the XT-1 contributing nothing new - not to mention some of the pointless posted images.

Suppose it could be worse, with unboxing videos a la YouTube :confused::confused:

As for which bag, case, strap, soft release, etc, etc Do I Buy threads .... Come on, you are all big boys, if you cant decide on a case, etc on your own, there aint much hope ...

ps Have a XM-1, X10 and a bargain XF1 on the way, and good EOS kit... all used in different circumstances. Horses for courses.

Very true... I'm also more interested in people sharing the images, seeing things how other people see them, getting inspiration and the urge to go out and take more pictures!

Back