Where to connect strap when using a larger zoom

Beer at the race track is a good way to get tossed out.
Do they not have beer sponsors? Since I've not been to a track other than for the ponies, I don't know. If they don't serve beer, well that explains why I never went then. Although these days I don't drink at all, (ok, maybe a beer a year) and haven't for about 9 years, since lung cancer surgery and the subsequent daily regiment of breathing meds.

They sell beer at the track, but not for those of us standing right next to it...

I use a monopod or small tripod quite a bit, but in different settings. I usually have a shoulder strap. It's not as much about weight on my shoulders as it is heat and sweat. If there's a long delay I usually find a shady spot, sit my butt on the ground and start culling in-camera. Plus, I won't be able to use the capture clip if there's a monopod on the camera.

Not to mention the daily requirement of breathing.
Breathing is high on my "things to do today" list. Since I also have emphysema, breathing sometimes can be a challenge. Since I quit smoking the day I was diagnosed with lung cancer, quitting drinking alcohol has helped me stay smoke free. The smoke bone is connected to the drink bone and taking away alcohol removed a potent trigger to smoke.

I have a PD Capture Plate on the bottom of each camera body plus on the tripod socket of the 300mm f4 and 40-150mm f2.8. (The tripod mounts are rotated so the bottom of the mounts are facing 90° left. This makes the body lie with the bottom against my body.) I have the plastic Anchors attached to each of these Capture Plates plus the left side strap mount of each camera. There's a permanently mounted hand strap on the right, shutter button side of the camera body.
When shooting with a lens without a tripod mount, I use Anchor links to the camera Capture Plate and the Anchor on the left side of the body. If I have either of the long lenses mounted, the ends of the strap attach to the Capture Plates so the body lugs don't carry any of the weight.
When carrying the 150-400mm f4.5 I use Anchors on the 2 built-in mounting points of the tripod collar and carry all of the lens/camera weight with a Slide Lite strap. It makes changing everything pretty quick and easy.

Attachments

• Sling Setup.jpg
    Sling Setup.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
I have a PD Capture Plate on the bottom of each camera body plus on the tripod socket of the 300mm f4 and 40-150mm f2.8. (The tripod mounts are rotated so the bottom of the mounts are facing 90° left. This makes the body lie with the bottom against my body.) I have the plastic Anchors attached to each of these Capture Plates plus the left side strap mount of each camera. There's a permanently mounted hand strap on the right, shutter button side of the camera body.
When shooting with a lens without a tripod mount, I use Anchor links to the camera Capture Plate and the Anchor on the left side of the body. If I have either of the long lenses mounted, the ends of the strap attach to the Capture Plates so the body lugs don't carry any of the weight.
When carrying the 150-400mm f4.5 I use Anchors on the 2 built-in mounting points of the tripod collar and carry all of the lens/camera weight with a Slide Lite strap. It makes changing everything pretty quick and easy.
Great minds! This setup (minus the hand strap) is what I came up with as my second choice if I can't sort out the cuff cinch idea. The strap would be for safety only, since I plan to use the capture to hold the camera for me during downtime.

The shoe rotated up to the side is one of my concerns. How much does it get in the way?

The shoe rotated up to the side is one of my concerns. How much does it get in the way?
I carried my em10ii or em5iii with the 40-150 the same way, with the collar rotated 90 degrees. I found not only didn't it get in the way, it was easier when I just wanted to set the camera down on a table, etc... I carried the 100-400 rotated as well. With both lenses having the foot rotated made shooting easier too if I wanted to rest the lens barrels on an impromtu 'rest' to steady shooting.

Is this the rotation of the collar that you guys are talking about. I carry mine this way with a neck strap. I can put it down anywhere as well like soft grass lolz

IMG_0203.jpg

but that's with other attachments right? I carry it as is, much easier to carry. I don't want to go off topic. I wish some pics are forthcoming from carbonman

but that's with other attachments right? I carry it as is, much easier to carry. I don't want to go off topic. I wish some pics are forthcoming from carbonman
Yes, the peak design plate that screws into the tripod foot base. I also didn't carry the lens and camera with the hood attached. If flare looked to be an issue I shaded the front element with my hand or a magazine or my dog.

I would still like to see the rig. If/when But that's what the hood is for isn't it? The question is why wouldn't someone use one?

Get off topic, this could get fun. Nothing like sharing knowledge.

I don't think the Sigma rotates 180 degrees, I think it stops at 90.

Last edited:
I carried my em10ii or em5iii with the 40-150 the same way, with the collar rotated 90 degrees. I found not only didn't it get in the way, it was easier when I just wanted to set the camera down on a table, etc... I carried the 100-400 rotated as well. With both lenses having the foot rotated made shooting easier too if I wanted to rest the lens barrels on an impromtu 'rest' to steady shooting.
The Sigma has a bunch of switches up there as well as a focus hold button that can be assigned to do other things. Not sure if rotating the foot would make them inaccessible.

Back