Advice Wanted Which 56mm for Fuji X?

olli

Super Moderator Emeritus
Name
olli
I've been looking at getting a few longer primes for my X-S10, starting with a 56. I'm not interested in the the Fujinon 56/1.2 - too expensive, too heavy, too big. I started looking at third party alternatives and was surprised there were so many options. As far as I can see there are 56mm AF primes from Sigma, Tokina and Viltrox. So, my question is, does anyone out there have any of these lenses (either for Fuji or another brand). If so what is your opinion of it for general photography and how does it compare with any Fuji lenses you have (build quality, focus speed, acuity etc.) Or if anyone has come across reviews from reputable reviewers could you point me to them.

I'm also open to going with a plain old 50 but in that case I'd just get the Fuji 50/2.

Thanks.

If one of the third party, I like the Sigma. I have one now. It's the more refined of the third party group. It offers excellent image output and accurate AF. The length is rather short so the balance feels good even on smaller bodies. With the S10 grip it should be nice. Ymmv.
I've tried the Viltrox lens and was happy with it. It has a nice build, an aperture ring and decent output. Imo, a notch below the Fuji and Sigma. There is speculation that the Viltrox is a rebranded Tokina. Or vice versa.

The Sigma 56/1.4 is both an excellent performer and an excellent value. I use it on Micro Four-Thirds. The only caveat is that it, like most such wide-aperture lenses, has significant longitudinal chromatic aberration (out-of-focus color fringing in high-contrast scenes), which goes away when stopping down slightly (mostly gone at f/2; fully gone at f/2.8).

Back