Micro 4/3 Which among these cameras is the best choice?

gen_vive

Rookie
Hi Guys, I'm planning to buy a new camera(wifi equipped). I'm just a beginner to moderate user but willing to invest more for better image quality. So, which of the following do you guys think is the best among the choices? Thanks!

Lumix LF1
Canon S110
Canon S120
Samsung EX2F

Any particular reason that the camera has to be wifi equipped?

Of the 4 camera you have listed, the Samsung is the most versatile in producing the best images, due to the sensor and fast lens.

Welcome to the forum! The LF1 is the only one that I've played with. It has a nice zoom range, an EVF, but feels rather plasticky. The image quality wasn't too shabby. ISO 1600 is acceptable. 3200 requires some work.

My ultimate fixed lens small sensor serious compact would be a combination of the S120 and the LX7.

I'd want the tiny tiny pocketable size of the S120 plus its super slo-mo video function. And then LX7 for the rest of the features. With 25p video.

Whats your budget, and what do you want to take pictures of?

Based in spacs and price, the sammy looks best. I dont know sammys iq.

For $150 more, you could get an rx100 mk1 that should spank the rest of those in IQ, and still be small.

For the same price as those, you could get the EOS-M with the 18-55 or 22mm. AF is a bit slow, but the IQ will blow away those pocket cams, but the M is bigger than a pocket cam of course.

The LX7, as others have mentioned, should also be considered.

So, if you can spend the money, move up to an rx100 mk 1
If the budget is set, but you can do a bigger camera, look at the eos m
If the budget and size are limitatons, include the lx7 in your search
If the lx7 is out for some reason, try the sammy

Just MO of course

That's a pretty good analysis of options. Out of that list, I think the Canon EOS M presents the most options for a developing photographer because of the large sensor which will allow artistic control over depth of field.

It also has an interchangeable mount, allowing the use of a wide range of lenses in the future.

Any particular reason that the camera has to be wifi equipped?

Of the 4 camera you have listed, the Samsung is the most versatile in producing the best images, due to the sensor and fast lens.

Hi! I'd really just like to have the option of the camera being able to connect with my smartphone. I had my mind fixed at the EX2F at first with the bonus feature of having a flip screen, but I'm just worried it might have the most point and shoot type of produced image out of the 4?

EX2F is surely capable of great images. It would be my choice from those you selected.

I eventually bought Sony RX100, for the combination of larger sensor, fast lens and small form-factor. I think that a newer model, RX100 Mk2, has wifi connectivity (but is still expensive, at least for me).

Whats your budget, and what do you want to take pictures of?

Based in spacs and price, the sammy looks best. I dont know sammys iq.

For $150 more, you could get an rx100 mk1 that should spank the rest of those in IQ, and still be small.

For the same price as those, you could get the EOS-M with the 18-55 or 22mm. AF is a bit slow, but the IQ will blow away those pocket cams, but the M is bigger than a pocket cam of course.

The LX7, as others have mentioned, should also be considered.

So, if you can spend the money, move up to an rx100 mk 1
If the budget is set, but you can do a bigger camera, look at the eos m
If the budget and size are limitatons, include the lx7 in your search
If the lx7 is out for some reason, try the sammy

Just MO of course

My budget is around $500 to $600. I actually also looked at the rx100 but was more impressed with the sample images online of those in the list. But a lot of people are recommending it though.

Not sure if its a special price or not but the Sammy is currently selling at $299 at Amazon and B&H so it's also currently relatively cheap. (Assuming you're in the US of course.)

Hi! I'd really just like to have the option of the camera being able to connect with my smartphone. I had my mind fixed at the EX2F at first with the bonus feature of having a flip screen, but I'm just worried it might have the most point and shoot type of produced image out of the 4?

Well, they are all going to have that small-sensor P&S look, but much depends on the camera's settings. The Sony RX100 has a much larger sensor, and easily is capable of producing the best image quality... that doesn't mean the others are "bad", though - far from it.

The Panny LX7 has a wider lens (24mm) than the others. It's also frequently on sale for under $300.

The RX100, Lumix LF1 and the Canons are more pocketable than the other cameras mentioned.

Would you consider getting an EyeFi card, if you found a camera you liked which lacked wifi?

Is there any chance you'll be able to handle any of the cameras prior to buying? How a camera feels can be so important.

I'm no fan of small sensor cameras. For me, the RX100 would be the smallest I'd ever get. But the swivel screen of the Samsung would make it my choice of the ones you list....and it's priced right at $299.

I have an LX7 but rarely use it and will be selling it soon. Panasonic colors just don't cut it for me; i.e. the hues of blue and green the camera delivers don't look natural no matter how much I play with the Picture styles and in camera color adjustments.

Back