Which camera(s) do you most regret selling?

The journey of exploration is the same in most hobbies, one tries many tools on your way to your perceived plateau. We all get there eventually in different ways, some times the chase alone becomes the core of the hobby and when you reach your holy grail tool, there can be a slow down in interest. One can see in the forums, there is always more traffic about the objects and tools of the hobby than the results. I also find many times one's epiphany point can catch you be surprise, I feel that has happened for me with audio equipment, fishing stuff, telescopes and binoculars, kitchen knives and cooking pots and tools and now even with my cars. There comes a day when you just live with your tools and lose interest in what else is coming down the pipe. I stopped the audio chase years ago, and never think about upgrading unless something were to break. For a few years I kept chasing my faster and faster car desires and now that I have had my halo car for a few years, and as I get older I am wondering if I need something this fast and unpractical.
But with cameras even though I am fully aware that I could still shoot amazing images with most any camera, the desire to chase the ultimate performance tool is still strong. I was interviewed the other day about my needs with digital cameras and the interviewer remarked how I was one of the few they had talked to who showed almost no brand loyalty and was only concerned about find the right tool for my needs. Today it is the RX1R II who knows about tomorrow

No real regrets, I don't get rid of very much! I still have a 2mp (I remember when that was a lot!) Canon elph.. I was going to convert it to IR but lost steam. It's partially disassembled but still functional actually.

omg, i loved that 2mp elph! pardon me, but i must post one of my all time favorite shots, taken with that diminutive beauty

p467383875-5.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The journey of exploration is the same in most hobbies, one tries many tools on your way to your perceived plateau. We all get there eventually in different ways, some times the chase alone becomes the core of the hobby and when you reach your holy grail tool, there can be a slow down in interest. One can see in the forums, there is always more traffic about the objects and tools of the hobby than the results. I also find many times one's epiphany point can catch you be surprise, I feel that has happened for me with audio equipment, fishing stuff, telescopes and binoculars, kitchen knives and cooking pots and tools and now even with my cars. There comes a day when you just live with your tools and lose interest in what else is coming down the pipe. I stopped the audio chase years ago, and never think about upgrading unless something were to break. For a few years I kept chasing my faster and faster car desires and now that I have had my halo car for a few years, and as I get older I am wondering if I need something this fast and unpractical.
But with cameras even though I am fully aware that I could still shoot amazing images with most any camera, the desire to chase the ultimate performance tool is still strong. I was interviewed the other day about my needs with digital cameras and the interviewer remarked how I was one of the few they had talked to who showed almost no brand loyalty and was only concerned about find the right tool for my needs. Today it is the RX1R II who knows about tomorrow
Yeah, I've been through it with bikes, guitars, espresso gear, cameras, and would have loved to go there with cars too, but that was never in the budget. And there's always a period of learning about the gear and yourself and how the two interact, and I can get pretty obsessive during that period. And then it all sort of comes together and makes sense and you know what you like and what works for you and what doesn't and then THAT part of the activity is largely over, down to just maintenance moving forward. But that's also when you're usually coming into your own with the activity and then can just free yourself up from the technical concerns and get on with the music, or making great espresso, or the image making, or the miles ridden, or whatever.

But in my experience at least, I've gotta go through the process before I can break through to that point of satisfaction that I've got the right tools for what I'm trying to do...

-Ray

Yeah, I've been through it with bikes, guitars, espresso gear, cameras, and would have loved to go there with cars too, but that was never in the budget. And there's always a period of learning about the gear and yourself and how the two interact, and I can get pretty obsessive during that period. And then it all sort of comes together and makes sense and you know what you like and what works for you and what doesn't and then THAT part of the activity is largely over, down to just maintenance moving forward. But that's also when you're usually coming into your own with the activity and then can just free yourself up from the technical concerns and get on with the music, or making great espresso, or the image making, or the miles ridden, or whatever.

But in my experience at least, I've gotta go through the process before I can break through to that point of satisfaction that I've got the right tools for what I'm trying to do...

-Ray
Speaking of guitars, I dropped them for a few years and now the guitar thing seems to still be in flux but I am done after my latest arrival, even trading one in on it, so the numbers are still the same. Just got a 2014 Gibson Custom Shop 59' Historic VOS Reissue Burbon Burst Les Paul, I can tell already I am much better player than with my other guitars:blush::coco::rofl:
c58ef3fe-ba48-4828-9f7c-fc292392c2e9_zpsfaqif0wm.jpg

Speaking of guitars, I dropped them for a few years and now the guitar thing seems to still be in flux but I am done after my latest arrival, even trading one in on it, so the numbers are still the same. Just got a 2014 Gibson Custom Shop 59' Historic VOS Reissue Burbon Burst Les Paul, I can tell already I am much better player than with my other guitars:blush::coco::rofl:
NICE! When I was playing a lot, I ended up with a Strat and a Martin D28, two nicer guitars than I ever had any right to be playing - I'm a much better photographer than I ever was a musician and lest you think I'm bragging on my photography - that's a LOOOOOOOW bar to get over! But then when I stopped playing a lot and lived in a house with weird electrical circuitry, the Martin was too hard to play worth a damn and Strat was way too buzzy (no humbuckers in that sucker and it hummed like crazy). So I sold them and picked up much less expensive / valuable Ibanez LP knockoff (really nice actually, but for a fraction of the cost) and a fairly cheap but pretty nice Taylor acoustic. I don't miss the Martin but I miss the Strat - to the extent I ever had any sort of "sound", it came through that instrument the best.

I don't play enough anymore to even have either of these, but it's one of those things that if I have 'em, I pick 'em up every now and then, realize how hard I'd have to work to even get back to the level of incompetence I possessed at my peak, and then put 'em back down for however many weeks or months until I pick 'em up again. But I KNOW that if I sold them and didn't have them around, I'd get good and dedicated to taking up the guitar again, would go out and buy them all over again, rinse, and repeat, etc, etc, etc. So they stay. Plus they're nice to look at and occasionally make photographs of...

15410284031_4f4e0133be_b.jpg
Tuning Peg
by Ray, on Flickr

-Ray

c58ef3fe-ba48-4828-9f7c-fc292392c2e9_zpsfaqif0wm.jpg

This is the most gorgeous thing I have seen all day! What are you playing it through?

My Pentax LX. I bought it in 1985, it went everywhere with me, took thousands of pictures and never let me down. I went digital around 2006 and the LX went into storage. I eventually sold it along with most of my non-autofocus Pentax lenses. There is no logical reason to hang on to a camera for which you have no actual use but I loved the LX to bits and wish I still had it for sentimental value if nothing else.

It's a lens in my case.

I regret selling my Zeiko 50mm f1.4. It went to a camera dealer with various other lenses and my OM4 when I went digital (bought a mundane point and shoot camera). I kept my OM2 body, partly because it wasn't working properly and partly for sentimental reasons.

That was a mistake, because for years I've owned an OM2 body with no lens, which can't even sit on a shelf and look pretty. But with that 50mm f1.4 on the front it looked terrific ...

-R

Back