Which cameras are actually made in Japan these days?

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
I just checked my cameras.

In reverse order of acquisition:

Panasonic GX85 -- China
Sony HX400V -- China
Fuji XP90 -- China
Canon G12 -- Japan
Olympus D550 -- Korea

Cheers, Jock

Usually the high end models of anyone's product line is still made in Japan. After the flooding and then afterwards, the earthquakes (Fukushima), everyone started standing up primary lines in Thailand. So far, I haven't really seen any significant engineering variations, which is a testament to Japanese production practices.

OK, I was looking in the wrong spot... at the moment (at work, have the bag with me in my backpack) I have the kit 18-135 lens on it and it's marked as being made in Taiwan.

That was, if I recall, only up till the early 50's. For the period of time, how is the build quality?
The build quality on these lenses is amazing. I have Nikon, Canon, Minolta, and (what would become) Topcon lenses from this period. Heavy chrome over brass, and lots of it. The Japanese used hard lens coatings, they have stood the test of time. Some of them- the "Simlar 5cm F1.5" (Topcon), some of the first lenses made by the company after the war. The SN on the lens puts it at the 74th made.

Pentax K-5 - The Phillipines, DA lenses - Vietnam, K lenses - Japan.
Pentax K200D - Phillipines
Ricoh GRD III and GR II - China
Olympus XZ1 - China
Panasonic LX100 - China
Panasonic TZ90 - China
Panasonic FZ1000 - Japan
Fujifilm X100 - Japan
Nikon P610 - China
Nikon1 Bodies - Japan, Lenses- China.

Last edited:
I've had 7 m43 camera bodies in the past some of which were made in China and I didn't notice any difference. My Fuji X-E3 was made in Japan and that was the best camera body I've had, I don't know if the newer Chinese made X-T3 is different.

But when it comes to lenses, the XF27 pancake which was made in China shows some slight de-centering, I don't think that's uncommon for cheap lenses but for a Fuji XF lens I expected better.

My current Canon EOS M50 body was made in China, it doesn't feel very solid but I think Canon is to blame for the cost savings. The 15-45 kit lens is definitely the worst thing I've ever had.

Back