I think my short answer to Herman's question is: YES. It is worth it.

Which format, specifically?

Whichever one allows you to come closer to whatever it is you think you would like to do with a camera.

Though, in my case, the question hasn't really been whether one particular format might be 'worth it' more than another - but, rather, whether a particular camera I was seriously interested in, and wanted to buy, would be 'worth it' in the long run - that is, would be worth going into debt for, or spending money I didn't really have, to acquire.

The two cameras which really gave me pause, before deciding that, for me, at the time, they were 'worth it' - were a Pentax KP, and then, some years later, a Fujifilm X-Pro3. I no longer have the Pentax, but the X-Pro3 continues to surprise me with both the pictures 'it creates' (though, technically, 'it' isn't creating them at all: I am, and it is merely a tool of choice), and with the way or ways it seems to be making me look at things differently.

But there are other cameras on the list, too. In other formats. Which have been, and still are, for me, more than 'worth it'.

Thanks for posing the question, Herman. I think it's a good one because, like the best questions, it both makes me think, and also isn't as easy to answer (for me anyway) as part of me assumed it would be, at first.

Any smartphone shooters here?
I'm 95+% phone. Have yet to post an ILC image here, actually. Nearly everything I do is publish to web at 1-2 MP so I've been pretty much good since sensors got to 8 MP. 16+ MP is nice for the occasional large print but I do those rarely and the μ43 ILC I have is borderline overkill. Also have a leftover APS-C body I haven't used in years. So, in answer to this thread's question, no, APS-C, (APS-H), 135, 645, and so on aren't worth it for me as μ43 exceeds the film era capabilities I had from a 4x5 view camera. If Nikon had kept on with the 1 system that might have been an interesting μ43 alternative.

My assessment of the current state of phones is the realistic offerings provide an adequate wide, sufficient ultrawide, and some sort of mostly acceptable normal to maybe short tele alternative. Wouldn't say they replace an ILC (or even most terminal generation compacts) but they're a functional and convenient alternative to ILC ultrawide and kit zooms across a broad range of basic, day to day photographic purposes. In my experience phones underperform their hardware potential due to fairly arbitrary software limitations and I don't see phones, even for my modest uses, being likely to fully replace an ILC.

What this means for me is I carry an ILC less often and it spends more time with macro and moderate to long tele lenses fitted. If I have the ILC along I do tend to also carry ultrawide to short tele zooms for it just in case. But they don't get much use. It happens my phone recently got updated and I've probably overpurchased μ43 (could stand to sell a lens or two) so I don't anticipate changes in next couple years. Three or four years from now, maybe a phone and μ43 body update. Can't see it being much of a priority unless something breaks, though.

So, for the time being, my main photographic tool concern is mostly I use an ILC for generating focus brackets to stack in Helicon Focus. As Helicon's located in Ха́рків, Україна (Kharkiv, Ukraine) it is my hope I'll be able to continue to support their business in the future.

But does anyone still use APS-H.
Given an objective of having every sensor size between 1/2.3 and 135, I'm pretty sure APS-H would qualify as larger than 1/2.3 and smaller than 135. 😄 Creative arguments this isn't actually the case could be entertaining, though.

As seen on internet. Format discussion.
Is Medium Format worth it? (Canon R6)
I'm asking:
Is Full Frame worth it? (APS-C)
Is APS-C Format worth it? (MFT)
Is MFT Format woth it? (1 inch)
Is 1 inch Format worth it? (compact sensor)
Is Smartphone Format worth it? (?)
What you think?

Given an objective of having every sensor size between 1/2.3 and 135, I'm pretty sure APS-H would qualify as larger than 1/2.3 and smaller than 135. 😄 Creative arguments this isn't actually the case could be entertaining, though.
But this discussion is 'Is XX format worth it' as seen on internet forum discussions. I'm not sure APS-H sized sensors are really a topic of discussion these days. Yes there are discussions about cameras that have them like the ones @boojum and @Herman mentioned above. But I'm not sure I've seen any recent 'why did they get rid of APS-H' threads.

But this discussion is 'Is XX format worth it' as seen on internet forum discussions. I'm not sure APS-H sized sensors are really a topic of discussion these days. Yes there are discussions about cameras that have them like the ones @boojum and @Herman mentioned above. But I'm not sure I've seen any recent 'why did they get rid of APS-H' threads.

The M8 and M8.2 are "old" cameras. But they still yield up honorable images. Discussion or no discussion they do the job. This sensor stuff in the camera business is like accessory and engine stuff used to be like in the auto business.

The M8 and M8.2 are "old" cameras. But they still yield up honorable images. Discussion or no discussion they do the job. This sensor stuff in the camera business is like accessory and engine stuff used to be like in the auto business.
Agree.

I am still blown away by photos I took 15 years ago with my 10 MPx E-510 and its two kit lenses. It had a JPEG DR of 7.3 stops! RAW was better, at around 10.5 stops.

Any smartphone shooters here?
The iPhone 12 was a breakthrough for me in Image quality. My evidence is the huge increase in the number of images I have stored in the old icloud. Right now, the big phone feature being pushed is the camera. Apple, Google, Samsung, etc. can spend an ungodly amount of money on these tiny cameras. If the TG6 has IQ as good as my phone it wouldn’t be going back, and the phones are just going to keep getting better. I know (but don’t really want to acknowledge) that the best money I could spend on my photography would be to buy the iPhone 13 max with all the photo goodies.

Agree.

I am still blown away by photos I took 15 years ago with my 10 MPx E-510 and its two kit lenses. It had a JPEG DR of 7.3 stops! RAW was better, at around 10.5 stops.
One of the very early images taken with my E-510 and kit lens. Lizzie and Rosa.

_B100395_A.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

As seen on internet. Format discussion.
Is Medium Format worth it? (Canon R6)
I'm asking:
What you think?
I don't like using phones as cameras, but if I don't have anything else handy smartphone format has certainly proved worth using.
Don't have anything in 1" format, my Pentax Q is smaller (a 1/2.3" sensor) for some jobs it works very well & it give better images with d-mount lenses than anything else I have...
MFT was my main system for about 5 years, it still gets used occasionally
My 1.7x crop APSC bodies give a unique view of infrared, looking more or less like Aerochrome SOOC.
My 1.5x crop APSC cameras (DSLRs) probably work best for action shots, and will doubtless be used when local air-shows restart.
I don't regret getting my FF, so I guess that has been worth it too.
I find digital medium format too big an investment, but the film options might be worth it (I haven't actually used mine yet, but I have 6x6, 6x9 & 6x12 cameras)
Also in film my 5x4 monorails have proved worth the fairly minimal expense (especially the cheaper model costing me just £110).

If I'd had to buy any of these cameras new it's much less likely I'd consider them worth it, but IMO there are merits to each sensor size & I've no plans in reducing the options I have available. Over time I'll probably end up adding some more (No Canon bodies yet...)

Last edited:
I'm asking:
What you think?
Is Full Frame worth it? This is a question aimed some way above my pay grade, but I'd hazard to say yes, particularly for professionals and for amateurs who take their hobby very seriously and can tolerate the expense and weight of the bigger glass.

Is APS-C worth it? I think for a lot of enthusiasts, this is the sweet spot, and if I had the money it would be my natural home.

Is MFT worth it? Perhaps, where size and weight is of particular importance, or where you need longer focal length glass.

Is 1 inch worth it? Not so sure about this. I own and use a 1 inch camera, but I don't think I would buy another one now as the cameras in smartphones have improved so much in recent years.

Is Smartphone format worth it? Absolutely! You get a 'free' camera with every phone you buy these days, so you might as well use it.

-R

Hi hi Any smartphone shooters here?
Yes. Definitely. On a recent trip to Cornwall (SW England), I took pictures in the same place and at roughly the same time with both my M43 kit and iPhone 12 Mini. In some instances I prefer the iPhone output. I’ve yet to compare images properly on a big screen but I’m surprised / delighted / impressed by the phone images.

Back