Fuji Which Fuji camera to bring with me on my trip to Barcelona?

Ramirez

Regular
Hello guys!

I need some traveling advice! I am going to Barcelona for a short work related trip, 4-7 of April. I'm not gonna have much time for a lot of street shooting as I'm attending a conference. But I will get half a day off for some street shooting. My traveling mate is a pro photographer, working for a newspaper, who is going to cover the conference. Actually he is working part time for the newspaper and part time as pro photographer in his own business. Together we will do some street shooting when we have the time off the cenference.

I want to travel light as it is a short trip. I first thought about just taking my new X100s with the WCL-X100 wide adapter. But I don't know if I ever get the opportunity to visit Barcelona ever again.
I also have Fuji X-E1 with XF18-55 and XF35 (the 35 is also brand new for me - bought it at the same time as I bought the X100s).

My problem really is that I need my iPad with me also and I don't have a suitable camera bag that takes the iPad and the X-E1 with the lenses or one of them. I have camera bags for X-E1 and lenses and a small iPad bag. I need to choose a bag considering I can't take two with me inside the plane. The X100s I can just have hanging around my neck and spare battery and adapter in my pockets.

I travel in just a few days and it is Passover. I live on the country side as well so no good camera bag shops around (for both iPad and X-E1). And I don't have time to order from the web.

Maybe this seems like a ridiculous problem but I just need some help to think how to solve this the best way.

I could of course have the X-E1 hanging from my neck as the X100s but the XF35 will protrude a bit, it isn't as flat as the X100s. Maybe put the XF35 in the iPad bag and have the X-E1 hanging without lens would be a way to go.

How should you guys do it in this situation? Maybe a small problem but still something that I now think about.

Please, help me think. Should I just take the X100s and adapter or take the X-E1 and maybe XF35 with me somehow?

By the way; I promise to post the photo from Barcelona on this forum, so if you would like to see XF35 photos from Barcelona too, then help me!

Personally I would bring the x100s if you want to travel as light as possible. You can make terrific shots of Gaudi's work, other architecture and street scenes. You should definitely go to the cathedral and the park that is dedicated to him.

Another option would be the xe1 with 35mm and a 14mm but no need (i think) to go beyond 35mm.

Just my 2 cents (and I've been there).

Have fun and I am looking forward to your photos!

Peter

Personally I would bring the x100s if you want to travel as light as possible. You can make terrific shots of Gaudi's work, other architecture and street scenes. You should definitely go to the cathedral and the park that is dedicated to him.

Another option would be the xe1 with 35mm and a 14mm but no need (i think) to go beyond 35mm.

Just my 2 cents (and I've been there).

Have fun and I am looking forward to your photos!

Peter

It would indeed be a lot easier with just the X100s. And perhaps the restriction due to same focal lenght or in my case two focal lenghts (with wide converter) creates "creative" photographic thinking :)

And I don't really need that kind of shallow depth of field like the 35 f1.4 provides as I would rather want great environmental photos with lots of things in focus. So the X100s will be perfect for this trip :)

Thanks for the tips about those places, Peter!

I was in Barcelona about 7 years ago. In the old quarter the streets are narrow, a 14 or 18 would be better there. When I was there my widest lens was a 28 ff and there were several occasions I wished I had a 21 or 24. A lot of my shots were between 28-50 ff for the rest.

U can consider the 23 on the x100 more of a normal in the old quarter.

In terms if camera bags, I prefer sling/messenger bags w/ a Timbuktu snoop camera insert small size. I carry x100 and xp-1 plus one lens and a iPad pretty easy in this setup. The iPad goes between the snoop insert and rear of bag. When I carry this way I also use a iPad foam sleeve for extra protection.

Have a safe trip, be careful of thieves. They work in teams. It almost happened to me just outside of old quarter. A couple of guys came up to me to ask for directions. My wife spotted one of them going for my backpack and pulled me away from them.

Gary

I would only take the X100s and the wide angle adapter. It would challenge you photographically and get you up the learning curve really quick.

In the meantime, I would shoot the X100s as much as you can between now and your trip.... take hundreds of shots (it doesn't have to be pretty) and review them on the computer. Build up that camera muscle memory, so when you have that half day to shoot, you make the most of it.

Good luck (and like Gary said....watch for thieves).

If I was in the same predicament I would probably put the body cap and lens cap on and bring the XE-1 and the 18-55 separately during transit and just have it hanging on my neck at the venue. The 18-55 gives more creative freedom due to it's focal length, I'd probably bring the 35 since it's the focal I'm comfortable with (everyone's got a certain length that they like) but since I don't know if I'll visit Barcelona ever again I'll want to maximise my shooting potential I'd bring the 18-55.

If you don't need the 1.4 why not bring the x-e1 ans the 18-55, as Phoenix says? You're more flexible. When you can't buy a bigger case at the airport that suits your needs, you can carry it around your neck.
Anyway, probably I would still bring the x100s because it seems to be such a great camera.

The thing that talks for the X100s is the good AF.
I've tested the AF a bit now and I must say that it is a lot better than the X-E1. Not only faster but more stable. It locks focus where the X-E1 won't. Maybe it is the PDAF working its magic.

When I'm shooting in Barcelona it will be daytime so the PDAF on the hybrid AF will be working. I'll have a snappy AF in my hands. I must say that the X100s is even more fun to use than the X-E1 because of its responsiveness.

And the adapter is a must to have, it doesn't take much space during transport.

I don't want the XF18-55 with me. I seldom use tele and it is quite big, the biggest XF lens (before the 55-200 is out that is). If I take the X-E1 it will be with the XF35.
I'm more of a prime user than zoom so I won't miss zoom capability.

Thanks for all of your advise this far :)

Been there, and echo most of the good advice already given. I did it with a D-Lux 4 and a Leica II. Gaudi's buildings should be seen during the day AND at night, when many are well lit. His cathedral is a must-see (but the queues to go in are daunting) The Fish Market is a stunning piece of modern architecture. The Ramblas are fine - just keep your wits about you. Given your kit I would take the X-E1 and both the 18-55 and the 35, but with the expectation of using the zoom most of the time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lightmancer/sets/72157616669851794/with/3350245900/

Hope this helps!

Sent from another Galaxy

I know what I take with me the same day I'm traveling :)
One factor is how I manage to organize my cargo.

I'll take with me one small suitcase for my clothes (as I'm there for only a few days) and my little iPad bag. I don't know if I dare put any camera gear in the suitcase (that maybe needs to be in the planes cargo area.

Been there, and echo most of the good advice already given. I did it with a D-Lux 4 and a Leica II. Gaudi's buildings should be seen during the day AND at night, when many are well lit. His cathedral is a must-see (but the queues to go in are daunting) The Fish Market is a stunning piece of modern architecture. The Ramblas are fine - just keep your wits about you. Given your kit I would take the X-E1 and both the 18-55 and the 35, but with the expectation of using the zoom most of the time.

Best of Barcelona - a set on Flickr

Hope this helps!

Sent from another Galaxy

Great photos!

I know what I take with me the same day I'm traveling :)
One factor is how I manage to organize my cargo.

I'll take with me one small suitcase for my clothes (as I'm there for only a few days) and my little iPad bag. I don't know if I dare put any camera gear in the suitcase (that maybe needs to be in the planes cargo area.

I always have my cameras as carry-on. Around my neck and under the seat in front of me.

Back