Fuji Which Fuji X?

FujiVic

Looking for a non-DLSR portable allround camera, I wonder which Fuji will come close to my demands.
Could it be the X-E1 with interchangeble lenses, the upcoming X-100S with fixed lens or the new and more affordable X-20?
Three different kind of camera's with the X-20 as most affordable as the other two much more expensive but maybe almost the perfect camera.
For the moment i'm a bit afraid to purchase already that nearly perfect camera as there will be proberly an upgraded and even better X-100 S or X-E1 next year.
Plus i can only spend the money once...
So do you have any thoughts about this?

Frankly, I don't foresee what they could possibly change on the X100s to make it better. The successor to the X-E1 will likely have some of the new bells and whistles of the "s", but they are certainly not necessary. I can't imagine waiting another year (or more) for a camera to be released if I were unhappy with something in my current kit. (And if you're not unhappy with your current kit, I'm not sure I'd be looking to buy a camera)

Well, there's always going to be a "better" upgrade in a year or two; it you wait, you'll never get into the system. It's just one of the realities of rapidly advancing technology and what camera companies apparently need to do to survive.

If it's a "portable all-round" camera you're looking for, I'd seriously consider the X-20, which is certainly more than the others with their lenses. If by portable you just mean smaller than I big DSLR, any of them would do.

I would be surprised if there is an upgrade within two years for the x100s.Personally, I think they should freeze it in time and let it become an enduring classic.
There will always be something new around the corner, and we can always change gear,provided we can afford it.

Getting the latest and greatest is a Sisyphean task. If you see something you like now, get it. :)

X20 should be a great all-arounder, judging by the performance of the X10. Very good performance, but it is still a small sensor.

X-E1 is what I have now, and I find myself reaching for it than my other camera nowadays. I love the images it pumps out, AF speed issue is IMO way blown out of proportion. If you use it and accept it for what it is, it's really really good. I don't even shoot RAW with it.

X100s is tempting because I mostly find myself using the X-E1 with the 35mm attached - granted, they're not the same POV, but the fact is I use and can probably live with one focal length. (The Panasonic 20mm is attached to my Pen maybe 80% of the time. The other 28% is with the Olympus 45mm. 2% everything else.) BUT - I want that choice to change the FL if and when I want to.

Looking for a non-DLSR portable allround camera, I wonder which Fuji will come close to my demands.
Could it be the X-E1 with interchangeble lenses, the upcoming X-100S with fixed lens or the new and more affordable X-20?
Three different kind of camera's with the X-20 as most affordable as the other two much more expensive but maybe almost the perfect camera.
For the moment i'm a bit afraid to purchase already that nearly perfect camera as there will be proberly an upgraded and even better X-100 S or X-E1 next year.
I think that if you can buy a camera now, which by your own estimation is "nearly perfect" then you should go for it. Logically, any future replacement camera can only be slightly better, and could conceivably be worse with the introduction of unwanted features or the removal of something of value. Also, while you're waiting for that perfect camera a world of photographic opportunities is passing you by.

Regarding which X-series camera to buy, for an "all-round" camera I guess the X-20 is the obvious choice, unless you particularly want the interchangeable lenses of the X-E1 or you consider a 2/3-inch sensor too small.

[Plus, if you buy an X-20 now it'll be a while before its replacement is announced]

-R

Thanks all for your replies and advices!
I think, for my thoughts, Richard hit the right spot by considering the X-20 2/3 sensor is too small compared with the X-100S or the X-E1.
That could be a big IQ difference, no doubt.
For the moment i'm longing to the X-100S, my only problem with this camera is that fixed lens.
Besides that, it looks to me as the, nearly perfect, almost daily 'hangaround' camera for shooting the right shots.
Will keep you involved...

Thanks all for your replies and advices!
I think, for my thoughts, Richard hit the right spot by considering the X-20 2/3 sensor is too small compared with the X-100S or the X-E1.
That could be a big IQ difference, no doubt.
For the moment i'm longing to the X-100S, my only problem with this camera is that fixed lens.
Besides that, it looks to me as the, nearly perfect, almost daily 'hangaround' camera for shooting the right shots.
Will keep you involved...

I wondered how often I'd use the X100 when I got it since 1.) I have the E-M5 with some nice lenses and 2.) I've never really been a wide angle shooter, typically shooting in the 50-90 range. I've found that it's the camera I most often grab since I got it, and seeing in terms of the POV of the 35mm equivalent lens came very naturally. (I have, however used fixed lens 35mm film cameras and started my adventures in photography with a fixed lens zone focus Olympus sporting a 40mm lens.) I think you'll fine the fixed lens is more versatile than you might think.

If you need changing focal lengths, however, and you want an APS-C sensor Fuji X, then of the cameras you mentioned only the XE1 fits the bill. It's your call; they are all terrific cameras, just different.

For me, the fixed lens is a plus.You don't have to worry over which lenses to grab and you can hone your skills by concentrating on one focal length.For an interchangable lens camera, I have my OM-D.

I have to say I wasn't that impressed with the X100s, so I flipped it. Auto focus was not demonstrably faster than the XE-1 w the kit lens and NOT in the same class as the newer m43 bodies. Focus splitting and peaking are very nice though. I know it's heresy on this board, but I much prefer the IQ of an RX1 compared to the X100s.

I have to say I wasn't that impressed with the X100s, so I flipped it. Auto focus was not demonstrably faster than the XE-1 w the kit lens and NOT in the same class as the newer m43 bodies. Focus splitting and peaking are very nice though. I know it's heresy on this board, but I much prefer the IQ of an RX1 compared to the X100s.

That's interesting to hear, you're the first person I've seen who didn't seem to be blown away by the X100S improvements. Did you feel the X100S was noticeably faster to AF than the RX1? I absolutely love the RX1 images, but the slow AF coupled with focus peaking only when *also* using focus magnification is my only real pain point. Much like my experience with the X-E1 w/35mm lens, I have lost a number of shots indoors to focus speed issues.

Definitely the X100s is faster to auto-focus than the RX1 if my memory serves well--I didn't have both cameras on-hand to do direct comparison. I did happen to have a G5 and E-PM2 before shipping the X100s out this morning though. The m43 bodies were way faster to AF in a variety of situations.

I dunno, If I truly liked the concept of the camera and if I had any suspections that the one I had was possibly defective, I go to a camera store and check it out, just to confirm that the 's' is a significant improvement or confirm that the x100s is a bunch of hype. For me, while I am intrigued by the X100s, I think I am best served by waiting for the X-P2.

I sold off my X100 also--down to an XE-1, funny how the interchangeable thing remains appealing--truly the only "fixed" option I've really found satisfying is the RX1. However, it's a wee bit expensive for my rather amateurish abilities as a photographer.

Back