Which interchangeable lens camera, at least APS-C or above, would you take with you into a heavy storm?

I've been googling and youtubing weather resistant cameras and have learnt that they're never fully guaranteed to keep the rain out. It's also surprisingly not-so straightforward trying to find info on weather resistance in various cameras.

However, let me know if you have experience with photography in heavy rain.

I'm talking about just the naked weather resistant camera+lens without a rain cover.

I used several different Pentax DSLRs in rain in Hawaii and snow in Wisconsin. I never once worried about it, nor had a problem. And there's enough videos on youtube of people taking their Pentax cams in the shower to test them or giving them a quick dunk underwater (NEVER Recommended) and I've just never heard of one that failed.

They have always hung their hat on the weather-proofedness, so that would be my pick.

I took my X-Pro2 into Hurricane Irma as it was hitting North Myrtle Beach. The Pro2 took it like a champ. As Luke said, you can't go wrong with Pentax DSLRs. When I had my Canon 1D3, I shot offroad events with it. Mud, dirt, rain, and water were there norm. That thing took a beating and never had a single failure.
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

hm.. so a few votes for the Pentax.

I am aware of the Olympus cameras but they're m43.

Interesting to see the XPro2, I've been wondering about the Fujifilms especially with the rave reviews re the XT3. But I also watched a video where Joe Allam ruined the XT2 in wet weather in New Zealand:

hm.. so a few votes for the Pentax.

I am aware of the Olympus cameras but they're m43.

Interesting to see the XPro2, I've been wondering about the Fujifilms especially with the rave reviews re the XT3. But I also watched a video where Joe Allam ruined the XT2 in wet weather in New Zealand:

Doesn’t sound like the T2 was ruined. Just needed to dry all the way out. He also had issues with the Canon 7D2. And I’m sure there are other instances where failures can be found if one searches the web.

I’ve had the Pro2 in the rain several times. And a T2 our on a rainy muddy off-road trip with no issues. But everyone’s mileage varies.

In a recent comparison between the E-m1x and xt3, DPReview said of the x-t3: 'But build quality is excellent, even if Fujifilm won't commit to an ingress protection rating like Olympus will.'

So it sounds like the DPR staff are quite impressed with the weather sealing on the xt3.

I thought about buying underwater housing for my cameras to use in the rain but the housings are so damn expensive.

If you don't go dedicated, they become much more affordable and these have a good reputation. I'm thinking of getting one for my D500 to use at the ocean this coming summer (Nags Head), recording video and stills while out with the family in the waves and possibly getting some shots of the surfers.

The above link is just an example and not picked for a specific camera body.

Doesn’t sound like the T2 was ruined. Just needed to dry all the way out. He also had issues with the Canon 7D2. And I’m sure there are other instances where failures can be found if one searches the web.

I’ve had the Pro2 in the rain several times. And a T2 our on a rainy muddy off-road trip with no issues. But everyone’s mileage varies.

You're right it wasn't ruined but it did stop working. It's quite an uncomfortable thought, I can't imagine that that can happen too many times before it passes out completely from internal rust or mould or something like that.

I wonder if Joe Allam's experience was different to yours because the moisture in the air in NZ was probably from heavy humidity and heat, whereas the air was drier where you were?

In a recent comparison between the E-m1x and xt3, DPReview said of the x-t3: 'But build quality is excellent, even if Fujifilm won't commit to an ingress protection rating like Olympus will.'

So it sounds like the DPR staff are quite impressed with the weather sealing on the xt3.

I had a look at the Fujifilm cameras, I have seen some great reviews of it build but the only weather resistant 50mm lens they have is f/2 (I think?).

Back