Which interchangeable lens camera, at least APS-C or above, would you take with you into a heavy storm?

If you don't go dedicated, they become much more affordable and these have a good reputation. I'm thinking of getting one for my D500 to use at the ocean this coming summer (Nags Head), recording video and stills while out with the family in the waves and possibly getting some shots of the surfers.

The above link is just an example and not picked for a specific camera body.

Oh! I bought one of these for my Leica M9 a couple of months ago after consulting their size/compatibility chart but I had to return it because:

(i) the size/compatibility chart didn't take into account the size of any lens,
(ii) it didn't take into account that you have to 'roll up' the opening to create the airtight feature,
(iii) while the accompanying photo appeared to include finger holes to allow for manual focusing, the one I had didn't have those finger holes and when I asked them about it, they said it's not really for manual focusing. It offered limited movement only.

I have considered trying a larger size or type.

Of course... there's always the Sealife camera. single focal length and designed for diving. It comes with housing, but its internal camera is also waterprooof. Nope, not APS, its a 1" sensor, but its not bad at all.

I didn't know about these ones but now that I'm checking out their website, I am tempted to buy one to play with. Albeit, I haven't checked how much they cost yet.....

I had a look at the Fujifilm cameras, I have seen some great reviews of it build but the only weather resistant 50mm lens they have is f/2 (I think?).

No, Fuji has an affordable line of primes with WR: 16mm f/2.8, 23mm f/2.0, 50mm f/2.0 and 90mm f/2.0 plus quite a few faster and more expensive primes with WR. And don't forget the zooms: 8-16mm f/2.8, 16-55 f/2.8, 50-140mm f/2.8 and 100-400mm f/4.5-5-6. All with WR. But they're not cheap, either.

I think he was just meaning weather sealed in the 50mm range. Since the 56mm lenses are not.

You're right it wasn't ruined but it did stop working. It's quite an uncomfortable thought, I can't imagine that that can happen too many times before it passes out completely from internal rust or mould or something like that.

I wonder if Joe Allam's experience was different to yours because the moisture in the air in NZ was probably from heavy humidity and heat, whereas the air was drier where you were?

I wondered about that also. At first I thought that the weather sealing was bad somewhere on the body or lens. But then the 7D2 also had issues.

No, Fuji has an affordable line of primes with WR: 16mm f/2.8, 23mm f/2.0, 50mm f/2.0 and 90mm f/2.0 plus quite a few faster and more expensive primes with WR. And don't forget the zooms: 8-16mm f/2.8, 16-55 f/2.8, 50-140mm f/2.8 and 100-400mm f/4.5-5-6. All with WR. But they're not cheap, either.
Don't forget the 35 f2. Fuji has done what I wish Olympus would do, which is offer WR versions of their smaller primes. FWIW, I had the 50 f2 and it was a really nice lens.

Oh! I bought one of these for my Leica M9 a couple of months ago after consulting their size/compatibility chart but I had to return it because:

(i) the size/compatibility chart didn't take into account the size of any lens,
(ii) it didn't take into account that you have to 'roll up' the opening to create the airtight feature,
(iii) while the accompanying photo appeared to include finger holes to allow for manual focusing, the one I had didn't have those finger holes and when I asked them about it, they said it's not really for manual focusing. It offered limited movement only.

I have considered trying a larger size or type.

That's awesome that you've actually used one. Sounds like I really need to perhaps get one early and test it out thoroughly and ensure that I have a good returns policy on it.

I'll make sure to take into account all of the points you've outlined.

^ yes and no. "Weather sealed" in itself doesnt tell you anything you can rely on, unlike the IPX1 rating of the Olympus E-M1X. That IP1X is the lowest rating available, but it is still something you can count on - and there's lots of anecdotal evidence to suggest that several earlier Olympus models (as well as some weathersealesld cameras by others) would also achieve IPX1 rating if the manufacturers would have them tested.

So yes, there are a number of cameras you can safely take into a storm - but just having "weather sealed" on the box is not enough for you to be able to count on that, and whether you can claim warranty for water damage is another discussion alltogether.

In Fuji’s case, the call it weather resistance, not weather sealed. I keep calling it weather sealed out of habit.

I’ve taken Canon 1D bodies, the X-Pro2, and X-T2 into heavy rains and very dirty environments with no issues. YMMV

Back