Critique Wanted Which lens?

Humour me - what do you think are the specs of the lens I used to take this photo:

L1001161.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

15 or 16mm ish equivalent?

Love how the little girl is highlighted

Damn, no other takers. The reason I'm asking is because the lens I used was a 16mm fisheye. The exact same lens as I used to take the photos below. And yet, the fisheye distortion doesn't seem very obvious at all in the photo above. I'm loving playing with this lens but I'm still greatly perplexed as to its qualities and how I can best use it, and how sometimes it doesn't look like a fisheye yet in other shots it looks totally distorted.

50315327416_507c6bb3d4_b.jpg

49930133982_dcf3f4e5e4_b.jpg

49885992333_34df1acb0b_b.jpg

49929941757_2c5b8f81a2_b.jpg

49886821907_61eed18bcf_b.jpg

Cool! I felt something curvy about the tree canopy in the top of the image but I thought it was probably just some regular distortion. Really didn't think it would be a fisheye, let alone the same lens as in these 5 ages above!

I remember some advice for using ultra-wide angles which probably applies to fisheye lenses too.
If you keep them perfectly level you get no "falling lines"/keystoning (or obvious fisheye distortions). Probably helps to have the horizon in mid-frame too...

Once you angle them up or down, the perspective distortions become really apparent.

Cool! I felt something curvy about the tree canopy in the top of the image but I thought it was probably just some regular distortion. Really didn't think it would be a fisheye, let alone the same lens as in these 5 ages above!

Yeah! I might have thought it was just regular distortion, but not a full blown fisheye distortion. And yet, there it is in the photo above, it looks normal.

I remember some advice for using ultra-wide angles which probably applies to fisheye lenses too.
If you keep them perfectly level you get no "falling lines"/keystoning (or obvious fisheye distortions). Probably helps to have the horizon in mid-frame too...

Once you angle them up or down, the perspective distortions become really apparent.

Intellectually I understand that, but conceptually it's still a fisheye, the distortion should remain the same no matter how you angle the lens. I get that the horizon, if composed in the middle of the image, would appear straight but everything else would ordinarily still distort.

Back