Micro 4/3 Which OMD for you?

You're about one generation ahead of my most recent purchase.

I would assume that the only real difference is body size....at least for me. But because I was being thrifty, I bought a used E-M5ii

I should have probably bought an E-M1 or E-M1ii and pocketed (or paid) the difference. I find the camera body to be so small as to be unusable. There is a grip on the way, but I'm not holding my breath.

I really can't believe I ever joined a forum called serious compacts. I CLEARLY don't value compact bodies. I was just anti-Canikon......which was really all there was in the mid 200os

You're about one generation ahead of my most recent purchase.

I would assume that the only real difference is body size....at least for me. But because I was being thrifty, I bought a used E-M5ii

I should have probably bought an E-M1 or E-M1ii and pocketed (or paid) the difference. I find the camera body to be so small as to be unusable. There is a grip on the way, but I'm not holding my breath.

I really can't believe I ever joined a forum called serious compacts. I CLEARLY don't value compact bodies. I was just anti-Canikon......which was really all there was in the mid 200os
I’m the same. There is a point of diminishing returns on size.

Well, I'll gladly play the odd one out, because in the case of :mu43:, I do value compactness - so I'd pick the E-M5 III again; I find it to be the best :mu43: body I've ever owned, no issues whatsoever, very satisfying down to the results. However, I think it fits my small-ish hands well - and thus might feel too small and fiddly for people with bigger hands, and I did take some time to get used to the camera.

I will say here that I still find Andrew's findings baffling, but there you go - it may absolutely be a size thing ...

The E-M1 II *is* the slight more well-rounded camera than the E-M5 III, and its size closely resembles that of the Z 6 - so it will feel very, very good in the hand. So I couldn't say anything against it.

M.

What kind of lenses would you be using? (if you can tell at this point :) )

If you're thinking about any of the "bigger" lenses - or longer lenses (eg 75-300mm), then the EM1 mk2 could be the better choice.

If you're more the "small prime" user, then the EM5 mk3 might be a nice match.
(-> emphasis on "small" prime, I guess :)
I only have an EM5 mk1 - but even with a bigger prime like the 75mm 1.8 I prefer to have the grip on it)

I have the mk 1 versions of both the EM5 and the EM1. I never bonded with the EM5 but loved the EM1. I didn't find the EM1 big or weighty. Some of the pro lenses on it - yes, but not the actual camera body. The EM1 was just a more comfortable fit for me. I probably should have upgraded the EM1 but my GAS has lead me astray!

If I were buying just one and only having one camera I would probably opt for the E-M5.3 since I also value compactness and only have a couple bigger lenses. If on the other hand I had either a bigger or smaller other body that would impact my decision.

Great grip and great battery (for a mirrorless) are the big advantages for me of the E-M1.2

Size and weight for the E-M5.3, but I have the Pen F to fill that role.

I have a friend with an EM5.3 (which I've used), and I have a Pen F, which seems to be a non-weather-sealed EM5.3 in a different body. And I also have an E-M1.2.

Unless you really want the smallest possible body, I think the E-M1.2 has a few things going for it. Larger HD mode. Slightly better IBIS. More buttons. (I shoot a lot of legacy glass, and use the two in the front for selecting from the ten programmed lenses, and for toggling focus peaking.)

Perhaps it's just my perception, but the EM1.2 feels faster, too. Auto focus is faster. Saving images is faster. Processing on things like HD, HDR bracketing, and Live Composite is faster.

On the other hand, if you're into circular fisheye, the Pen F (at least) and possibly the EM5.3 won't get in the image of a 220° lens, whereas the damn grip is in every shot on the EM1.2.

I was actually looking at an EM5 ii for $324 when I noticed the the other two. With my old EM5 ii I had the Olympus grip and it made a world of difference in the handling. The X-S10 very much reminds me of the EM5 ii w/grip or the EM1.

I have a friend with an EM5.3 (which I've used), and I have a Pen F, which seems to be a non-weather-sealed EM5.3 in a different body. And I also have an E-M1.2.

Unless you really want the smallest possible body, I think the E-M1.2 has a few things going for it. Larger HD mode. Slightly better IBIS. More buttons. (I shoot a lot of legacy glass, and use the two in the front for selecting from the ten programmed lenses, and for toggling focus peaking.)

Perhaps it's just my perception, but the EM1.2 feels faster, too. Auto focus is faster. Saving images is faster. Processing on things like HD, HDR bracketing, and Live Composite is faster.

On the other hand, if you're into circular fisheye, the Pen F (at least) and possibly the EM5.3 won't get in the image of a 220° lens, whereas the damn grip is in every shot on the EM1.2.
The E-M5.3 is much more a smaller E-M1.2 than a seal Pen F. The Pen F is more a non sealed E-M5.2 with a 20mp pixel sensor.

When you say the E-M1.2 feels faster are you saying faster than the E-M5.3 felt or faster than your Pen F feels? The AF system in the E-M5.3 is closely related to phase AF system in the E-M1.2. The AF system in Pen F is like the contrast system in the E-M5.2.

I also have the E-M1.2 and Pen F, I can definitely feel the speed difference between them. If OM Digital does release a Pen F.2 an update to AF system would be a much bigger selling point for me than weather sealing. If they updated the AF, sealed it, and added a little better add on grip I might even consider selling both bodies I have for it.
I was actually looking at an EM5 ii for $324 when I noticed the the other two. With my old EM5 ii I had the Olympus grip and it made a world of difference in the handling. The X-S10 very much reminds me of the EM5 ii w/grip or the EM1.
I finally had a chance handle the X-S10 last week. I have to admit, if it were sealed I might be in trouble.

Back