Micro 4/3 Which One?

Photorx12

Regular
Hello,

I would like to know if you could pick between any of the current micro system cameras out, if you could choose one which one would you choose as a back-up camera and why (ie. gf1 or 2, Ep1 or 2). As I mentioned in my greeting a few days back, all my gear was stolen on a vacation trip. I am slowly wanting to build up my collection again to where I once had it before if not better. My first addition has been the X100, and also plan on getting one of the soon to be announced Panny or Oly cameras.

The choice is very personal and will vary with how you shoot and your needs, but you want to know what I would pick. I have a GF1 with a 20mm pancake lens as my second camera and if I lost them I would replace them in a New York heart beat.

I purchased a GF1 body.

So after having no cameras from theft incident, I now have a Fuji X100 and a red GF1 (body only) on the way, as well as a EVF coming as well.
I do have one manual lens left, a Nikkor 50mm 1.8 F lens with a voigtlander F adapter. Its a lovely lens in my opinion which is the main reason I purchased the EVF.
I want one more lens before I put my wallet away. any reccomendations on a good lens to add to my collection, something that's not too expensive either. Doesn't
have to be a manual lens either.

]

I purchased a GF1 body.

So after having no cameras from theft incident, I now have a Fuji X100 and a red GF1 (body only) on the way, as well as a EVF coming as well.
I do have one manual lens left, a Nikkor 50mm 1.8 F lens with a voigtlander F adapter. Its a lovely lens in my opinion which is the main reason I purchased the EVF.
I want one more lens before I put my wallet away. any reccomendations on a good lens to add to my collection, something that's not too expensive either. Doesn't
have to be a manual lens either.

]

Can you offer any more info on what you like to photograph?

The X100 has you covered for a great deal of stuff. Seems to me that with it's lens covering the 35 equiv, there does not seem too much point in the 20 or 25 for the Panasonic. So, for example, if you like some wildlife, the 100-300 seems cool, or the 14-140 for a general lens. If you like, say, landscapes and architecture, the Oly or Panny wide zooms seem good too.

Basically, I would choose to complement your X100 rather than duplicate, at least at the start. You can always add more stuff later. Hope this helps.

Well, I seem to be enjoying street photography a lot more. And while I love my X100, there have been some good candid shots I've missed due to not being able to zoom in. A nice zoom lens would not be a good idea but I also don't want to break the bank, quality of pictures is important to me.

I just purchased a panny 14-42mm, and the reason is that i got it for $115.oo. is the built the only thing you didn't like about the lens?

I've never used the lens myself, I'm only going by the general opinions between the two at mu-43. The build quality comment is based on materials. The 14-45 has a metal mount, the 14-42 a plastic mount. A lot of people have doubts about the longevity of plastic, and I probably count myself amongst them, but they've been around for quite a long time now and I've yet to hear anyone say that a plastic mount lens has loosened due to normal wear. I've certainly had no problems with any of the plastic mount Canon lenses despite being a frequent lens changer myself.

Well, hopefully it will last. I did buy it used, the GF1 will be more my back up cam for when zoom is needed. Currently I have not been able to put down the X100. but seeing that I got the lens for a 100, I'm already getting tempting on getting one more lens before I begin my difficult task of saving for my Leica m9

Back