Sony Which RX100 picture settings do you use?

Chris2500dk

Top Veteran
I'm curious which settings other RX100 users use.

Do you shoot RAW or JPEG (or both)?
If you shoot RAW which program do you use for conversion?
If you shoot JPEG which camera settings do you use? (Creative mode, contrast, saturation, sharpening, DRO/HDR)

I've been trying with both Lightroom and DxO Optics Pro, but I haven't consistently been able to get results I prefer over the camera JPEGs.

For this reason I tend to shoot RAW/JPEG with the JPEG settings as Standard creative mode, +1 contrast, 0 saturation, +1 sharpening, DRO level 2.
The RAW is an insurance since I can adjust the white balance and it gives me more exposure headroom for recovering highlights or pushing shadows.

When I first obtained the RX100 in December, I started by shooting Raw only (my normal approach with any new camera), simply because I presumed that this would be bound to deliver the best results - especially on a small(-ish) sensor camera.

Then, about three weeks ago (out of curiosity) I started shooting RAW+Jpeg, just to see how good the Jpegs were. I was surprised to discover that the Jpegs from the RX100 are excellent! In fact, they are so good that I'm actually considering shooting Jpeg only, to save space on SD cards, and on my Hard Drive. The only reason that I might continue with Raw + Jpeg is (as you say) for "insurance" on WB and exposure in difficult conditions.

What with the "discovery" of good Jpegs, and the manual-focus tip that you shared recently, the RX100 is impressing me more and more. My other gear is becoming a little redundant... :)

I'm a newbie to the RX100 so I'm still learning.
My usual practice is to shoot RAW+Jpeg although I've been going Jpeg only because I haven't been able to improve things significantly ( if at all ) by using Lightroom 4.
I'm currently using DRO Auto but I wonder if it's too aggressive at that setting.
I did try sharpening +1 but the images already seem rather sharp OOC and take very little sharpening in PP.

This is one camera where the default values seem OK to me.

I too did RAW initially especially with Landscapes then used Darktable to apply Velvia filter but lately superior i jpeg is impressing me a lot that I don't use RAW anymore.

Very interesting to read this thread as I'm still on the fence about buying the tilt screen version of this camera. As an aside, with my Fuji X100 I preferred the RAW files but with the X10, I just use jpegs. I think cameras are getting better all the time, though there will always be reasons for someone wanting to use RAW, it's awfully nice to get a great picture straight out of the camera and then fine tune it to one's own wants from there.

What with the "discovery" of good Jpegs, and the manual-focus tip that you shared recently, the RX100 is impressing me more and more. My other gear is becoming a little redundant... :)

I must have missed that Tip Porchard , do you have a link to it or remember the topic title, I'm always looking for new tips with the RX100

Thanks

I must have missed that Tip Porchard , do you have a link to it or remember the topic title, I'm always looking for new tips with the RX100

It was a suggestion by Chris2500dk on this forum. It involves setting the centre button to AF/MF control toggle. It's very handy if you happen to like using focus/recompose technique, since the RX100 has no actual focus lock button.

With the camera set up in this way, you focus using AF, and then toggle (using the centre button) into MF mode, which locks the focus and reveals the focus peaking (allowing you to check focus, of course). You can then recompose, and take the shot... after which you need to remember to toggle back into AF.

I find it excellent, and it took very little time for it to become my standard way of using the RX100. Hope it works for you.:)

Not had a much of a bloomin chance the past few days Porchard, sudden changes on my fishing club's committee, being admin I had rearrange the webpage, forum, and emails and sort the clubs laptop now its changed hands and basically been running around like a blue assed fly :eek: trying to get things sorted. Going up town tomorrow afternoon for a good drink as the Edinburgh Festival is now in full swing I'll see if I can catch a pic or two.

Going up town tomorrow afternoon for a good drink as the Edinburgh Festival is now in full swing I'll see if I can catch a pic or two.

Now THAT makes me envious! I must try to get to the Festival at some point. I think I'll try to talk Her Ladyship into a visit next year!;) Good luck with the photo opportunities... and, of course, the drinking opportunities!:D

Let's see some snaps when you've returned.(y)

For general photography I trust the superior i mode of the camera and it hasn't disappointed me especially for evening or night shots. For critical landscapes or flowers or portraits I need to blow up,I do RAW sometimes and work with Darktable and GIMP to process them.

the RAW doesn't produce pics better than JPEGs right? the only reason to use RAW is for modifications later in Lightroom or PS right?

the RAW doesn't produce pics better than JPEGs right? the only reason to use RAW is for modifications later in Lightroom or PS right?

A lot of people would say that modifications later in Lightroom or PS produces better pictures :)
I find the JPEGs pretty good, but when you shoot RAW you have more headroom to correct errors in exposure or white balance.
Is it more work? Yes if you compare to just taking the JPEGs from the camera and never touching them, but if you modify those anyway then I don't see RAW being more work.

Back