Which viewfinder you prefer?

I quite like the choice of either at the flick of a switch. As each has its merits in different situations. Go Fuji! Giving me OVF, EVF, LCD or nothing at all.

I don't wish for even the best DSLR pentaprism viewfinders anymore: too dark, not enough information. I'm an EVF convert and never thought I would be.

In decent light I still like a DSLR OVF okay, but in a very dark situation, I still have enough light to see something in an EVF when I'd be struggling to frame it with a reflex OVF.

I really like the Fuji hybrid ones the best though -- but I don't own one. It's based on just trying some other folks cameras.

I can't decide. They're all good, and all have their weakness.

I love the OVF on my 6D. Big and bright, and there's something natural about looking through glass, instead of an up-close image. But getting exposure right can be tricky.

I loved the EVF on my OMD for seeing the exposure and other impacts of my settings, but the contrast and colors were never quite right.

I also like just using an LCD sometimes, too. It's less intimidating for the subject.

Sometimes (with a wide angle lens) I just shoot blind.

I didn't like the parallax on the XPro 1, though. That threw me off, since the framing lines wouldn't show up until after focus lock.

EVFs are getting better. Still not the best for tracking shots/fast action because of the refresh rate, but the advantages of live-view (exposure, white balance, etc) are compelling. Given my druthers, I'll take a VF or and EVF over none. That being said, when you don't want to be noticed, nothing beats playing "Lost Tourista" :) with a rear LCD only camera. You can usually get the shot you want with no one giving you a second glance.

I quite like the choice of either at the flick of a switch. As each has its merits in different situations. Go Fuji! Giving me OVF, EVF, LCD or nothing at all.

Agreeing here, I like options. Through the lens over electronic, but also like the ability to compose on the lcd as well as a backup.

I have no problems working with either an OVF or EVF, just as long as there is a viewfinder (at least in most cases). But if you push me into a corner and force me to choose, I'd go with the EVF. They've simply become too good and too useful to pass up.

I am also an EVF convert. The V1 I find top notch. I am very happy with it.. Sorry. Them. I now have @ V1's
One for the 10mm & one for the 18.5. Given the chance one for the 32 :eek:

rear screen most of the time - I know a viewfinder sort of immerses you into the image you're about to make, but in doing so it creates a barrier between you and everything that's outside of the shot, and when it comes to people shots, it turns you into a talking camera. So, (rotating) rear screen in 90% of the cases. When you want to avoid the glare of the camera's screen attracting attention or disturbing others, having an OVF or EVF does come in nice though. Also, in a very small percentage of cases, shooting "blind".

Thanks Sue for the reply.
How about the hybrid viewfinder of Fuji X Pro ?
I too like big and bright viewfinders.

Absolutely love it. I have no issues with the parallax view, and the flick of a switch, as Mark puts it, is incredibly useful. That said, on my X100, I nearly always use the OVF, only macro mode forces a change to EVF for obvious reasons... if you're that close to something and using the viewfinder, you wont be able to frame properly with the OVF.

Back