Which x-photo are you most proud of?

P

pniev

While driving in my car I was wondering which photo I would pick if someone would ask me "which photo are you most proud of". Frankly, it would be a photo taken with my Nikon from a driving and jumping jeep in the Wadi Rum desert. I had my camera ready "just in case" and then a group of people riding camels crossed our path. However that does not count here. So I rephrased: "which photo taken with my Fuji X-camera am I most produ of". Mmm. more difficult. I don't know but this one is the one so far. I am not happy but when I passed the wheel and looked back, I thought "hey this one might be interesting if I kneel in the corner and shoot it with that particular light. I could not get into the perfect spot without laying on the ground and forcing people to walk over me, but at least people after me started to take similar shots. The result is OK to me but not great. Anyway, that's all I could come up with.

So now my question to you is: "which X-photo are you most proud of and if you want to share that) why"? I would love to see your choices!

Thanks. Peter

2012-Normandie-092-XL.jpg

Peter, thank you for this thought provoking and rather, for me, difficult question. I can see why you might well have chosen this image. I'll have to give this some rather serious thought. "most proud of"....hmm...this might take me a little while.

Note: I've posted this one before here and elsewhere, so apologies in advance to anyone seeing it again :)

Without a doubt, my favorite X-camera image so far has to be the below shot of my wife, taken during my first outing with the X-E1. It's one of those shots that probably means less to other people than to me, but it's one of my favorite shots of her. I feel it's also somewhat unique to the Fuji due to the shallow DoF and rendering characteristics of the 35mm + X-E1 combo, and I'm not sure I could replicate it with my other gear.

8244579207_8a676134f4_c.jpg

Layna on the Green by jloden, on Flickr

Not sure to be honest, but if I was asked to use one image to define myself as a photographer I'd use this image

8086405807_2034eaa12f_b.jpg

It's one of the first serious photo excursions I attended using the XP1. Massive Pro-choice and Pro-Life protesters met face to face on the steps of Parliament, and the police got involved to keep the peace.

I quite like the composition, framing, and juxtaposition.

I haven't gone through and commented on each individual shot in this thread, but I have to say there's some really nice stuff here. I haven't seen one yet I wouldn't be proud to show as my own (well, except for Jay's shot of his wife - I'd probably be better off using my own wife for a similar shot, but she's rarely a cooperative photographic subject so I have to be sneakier than he was in that fine shot!). Really nice cameras and seemingly used by some fine photographers...

-Ray

I haven't gone through and commented on each individual shot in this thread, but I have to say there's some really nice stuff here. I haven't seen one yet I wouldn't be proud to show as my own (well, except for Jay's shot of his wife - I'd probably be better off using my own wife for a similar shot, but she's rarely a cooperative photographic subject so I have to be sneakier than he was in that fine shot!). Really nice cameras and seemingly used by some fine photographers...

-Ray

My thoughts too. I will comment on yours though; it's somehow very engaging. One of those shots that really works and pulls you in. I bet if you were to print it or put it in a photo book (I seem to remember that you make photo books) it would be one of those photographs that cause people to pause and look hard for a while.

Great shots here, all very well done.

This is my favorite of mine. Driving down a back alley one night on my motorcycle I pass this cool looking old Mini. My wife (on the back of the motorcycle) says "do you want to turn around and take a photo?" and I think...why yes I do! So I turn around and use my motorcycle headlight to light up the Mini, never even got off the bike. Quick adjustment by pulling close and turning the bike wheel a bit and poof, the shot was done. Camera back in the bag, turn around and go about my business. Seemed pretty cool to me.

8124989420_c76d76025f_b.jpg

Mini Austin by Photos By 夏天, on Flickr

My thoughts too. I will comment on yours though; it's somehow very engaging. One of those shots that really works and pulls you in. I bet if you were to print it or put it in a photo book (I seem to remember that you make photo books) it would be one of those photographs that cause people to pause and look hard for a while.

Thanks Steve. I sometimes do one year end book and if there's a major event that year I'll do one just on that. I did 2 last year, one on my month spent in New York City, and an end of year book. Its in both.

I was only a couple of weeks with the camera at that point and I was kind of astounded at how well that came out - I was away from home and just had my ipad so its a snapseed processed shot. But there's something about the dynamic range, the detail, the shimmer in the reflections on the ceiling. And I got really lucky with the people in the distance too - I don't know how much of them I really saw when I was taking the shot through the viewfinder, but between the couple just casually walking through the "hall", the tourists taking a tourist shot, and the couple in the righthand arch having a small intimate moment, I've come to like the role they play in it a LOT, almost my favorite part of it. For all of the street shooting I do and as much as I love doing it, I think this is the shot that everyone I know who saw either of those books always points to as the best in either of 'em. There's a lot of luck in that shot, but I'll take it! :)

If anyone wants to peruse the books, there's a free preview on the Blurb site. I also have free PDFs available somewhere in my Google Drive, but I'm always confused about how to share that drive publicly. On the off chance anyone wants one, let me know and I'll figure it out.

Page 69 of this one: New Yorkers by Ray Sachs | Blurb Books

Page 44 of this one: 2012 - In Photos by Ray Sachs | Blurb Books

-Ray

Ray, the part I like about your image the most, aside from the tonal range and the highlights is the silhouette effect. Having less detail on the people makes it more engaging since you have to imagine the rest for yourself. :2thumbs:

Back