White Night

Phoenix

All-Pro
Name
Phoenix Gonzales
Melbourne has adopted the Nuit Blanche from France which is an all night festival with the intention of making art and culture accessible to large audiences within public spaces. The festival consisted of public performances, Light shows projected on to buildings, and various art exhibitions.

Unfortunately the city council failed dismally in facilitating the event, and the result was severe over crowding, un-accessible events, and lining up in a queue for 2 hours for food. It was made worse by the heat and humidity. It was difficult to access events, move vantage points to take photos or to generally enjoy the event. It was really hard to enjoy the festival while marinating in another person's sweat

I ended up catching up for drinks with a friend who is a chef and restaurant owner in a bar across a table of really drunk transvestites. I didn't feel too well at the end of the night and ended up getting the flu the next day, so all in all I really didn't enjoy this event and I'm not sure if I'll attend the same event next year.

Here are some of my images.

8518240768_ae07be1a50_c.jpg

View attachment 10344

8517123283_34ca4e83f3_c.jpg

8517123461_acfbe64ff1_c.jpg

View attachment 10347

8518239714_1bdce71e67_c.jpg

View attachment 10349

8517125309_7c6f1c4030_c.jpg

8517125013_dce3401f31_c.jpg

View attachment 10352

8518239304_7daeea2d5d_c.jpg

so all in all I really didn't enjoy this event and I'm not sure if I'll attend the same event next year.

I am sorry to hear that. But... at least you've made some great shots for us to enjoy!

Thanks for sharing.

Peter

Very nicely done. And fine processing too. I'm thinking of adding a very clean B&W option to my processing - is this just a straight conversion with a bit of contrast added? Or do you have some other secrets here?

-Ray

Very nicely done. And fine processing too. I'm thinking of adding a very clean B&W option to my processing - is this just a straight conversion with a bit of contrast added? Or do you have some other secrets here?

-Ray

Thank you. All the images were RAW processed in Lightroom and converted to B+W in in Silver Efex Pro 2 using modified presets (removed the grain and let the high ISO noise to act as grain) I purchased from Streetpresets.

great photos! Love the processing, especially love the second.

I went to white night too, and I was a little disappointed with the light shows - I felt that a whole lot more buildings could have participated. Instead of enjoying the night I spent most of it getting from my car (which I parked at Melbourne University) to the river. It was a 2 hour walk each way!

Thank you. All the images were RAW converted to B+W in Lightroom and processed with Silver Efex Pro 2 using modified presets (removed the grain and let the high ISO noise to act as grain) I purchased from Streetpresets.

Any particular reason why covert to BW in LR first before applying preset in Silver Efex? Sorry if my question sounds elementary! I never used anything but LR to process photos (other than a brief foray into PS Elements).

Oops sorry, my bad.

What I meant was, I process the RAWs in LR then convert and add the preset in Silver Efex :doh:

Yeah, I got it - thanks. So basically using Don's grainy presets minus the grain. Good idea - I'll have to try that as a starting point with some upcoming images. Whenever I get around to shooting again...

-Ray

Back