Whole French Village for sale Euros 330,000, (= £275,000 or US$440,000)

It's not bad around that area - if you are handy with a trowel etc, (lots of etc,s....) ., you could have a lot of fun restoring the place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love it when these come up. When I win the lottery, I am going to buy either a village like this, or an old missile silo.

Seems like both would present some great photographic opportunities, now that I think about it... decayed buildings, rusted vehicles and overgrown weeds...sounds awesome. :2thumbs:

If you were to put together a financial proposition - summer rents for a one bed gite would be about £450 per week for 8 or ten weeks - a 4 bed house with pool would fetch £2,000 upwards per week - then there is a smaller Autumn and Spring market - wine tours, (nature trails), cultural events, weddings, (now very popular with the Brits), etc., etc.

I've looked at really big Chateaux(s) in the past with a view to putting together a profitable and enjoyable business - but you would need to get a group of enthusiastic people together who wanted to live and work in the environment that is created, either full or part time, to make it successful financially and lifestylewise
France is a beautiful country - it is vast, (by western european standards) and varied, the infrastructure is very very good, the climate agreeable, culturally fabulous, probably has the best, and most affordable health service in the world. The cost of living is also very reasonable by European standards, (probably high by US standards) - depends how you want to live

I would imagine that if it goes for auction, which it probably will, The bank will take what they can get for it - which will be probably less than the indicated price.

The further South you get the more interesting the countryside, lifestyle and environment - IMHO

I think you should bid, Bill, I expect a man of your means would find that sort of money down the back of the sofa ...

I think you should bid, Bill, I expect a man of your means would find that sort of money down the back of the sofa ...

I've got enough on my plate, (just finishing the "first" Gite after spending 18 months working on the house), and these bones ain't as young as they were!

now if it was in the (remote) Pyrenees that would be interesting

Price Euro 330'000. Adtl. investments Euro 2.000.000.-. Annual runnig costs and maintenance: high. Local taxes: high.
Revenue: unclear and uncertain. Provided local politicians can convince local banks to finance a project: why not::rolleyes:

Price Euro 330'000. Adtl. investments Euro 2.000.000.-. Annual runnig costs and maintenance: high. Local taxes: high.
Revenue: unclear and uncertain. Provided local politicians can convince local banks to finance a project: why not::rolleyes:

Apart from the Euros 330,000 I am not sure that any of the above is correct; but it depends on how you want to live your life and what you would want to do with the place
Local taxes will be very reasonable and will vary on usage - development costs will vary depending on what is done and who does it - but 2 million Euros is way, way too much to spend unless you are insane.
The income potential even with a reasonable investment, say, less than Euros 500,000 would be good and far, far better than what Euros 1 million gets you in bank interest or similar, (maybe Euros 30,000 gross), these days - – and you will have the joy of the “life style”

For me it is too far North, I would not want to live "up there" and from the images, I find the site and buildings unattractive
We prefer the South or South West, (or the Pyrenees - which we have yet to explore) – more interesting countryside, variation, weather, etc., etc.
We live in a similar, maybe smaller, sized "hamlet" but more South, inland from Bordeaux - weather much better etc., etc.
Here is an image - sorry it's not good - It was taken about 20 years ago ........ we have almost half of the buildings - that's our pool on the hill - we were in the process of building it, when the shot was taken - I can see the rubble by the pool and in front of the house.
About 35/40 years ago it, (the working "farm"), was left when the owner died, (he dropped dead in a ditch when he was out jogging!), as all his children had moved to “The City”. French succession laws then caused the buildings to be sold off and now there are 5 houses. We bought our “bit” in 1988 and since then have spent quite a lot of time working on the house(s) and dépendances, (barns etc.,). Since I retired two years ago the effort has increased. It is a lovely place to live and we really enjoy it, but it is not for all - we have only ever used ours as a "place to live"

airview.jpg

Funny what happened today: I went to see the work of south korean landscape/wildlife photographer Ahae which is currently being showcased in Paris, and learned that he just recently bought this ghost village of Courbefy. Strange coincidence . The guy is pretty good btw.

Back