Fuji Why Are the X-E2 Dials So Rigid???? (And Other Complaints)

For what Miserere is saying, I think what he's suggesting is just that the wheel/Fn button toggle iso up and down without taking up the entire screen space.

That's how it works in the OVF of the X100, X100S, X-Pro1. Nothing new there, but as I said, you cannot change the Auto-ISO settings while looking through the optical viewfinder, which is an issue. I certainly don't want to multiply this issue by taking it over to the LCD and EVF, as well. I'd rather want to somehow get rid of it in the OVF.

We are, because I need a menu to re-configure my Auto-ISO settings and I am not pleased to give up this option or only access it in the normal shooting menu.

This is actually a quite serious discussion in the light of rumors that future cameras could sport an ISO dial.

We're not understanding each other, Rico. I don't want an extra ISO wheel, I want to be able to change ISO with the rear control wheel without the need to press a Fn button first, and without a huge list of available ISOs popping up in the viewfinder. In Av you don't get a list of available apertures to chose from, nor do you get a list of shutter speeds in Tv, why then a list of ISOs? It's just another exposure variable, and just as important as aperture or shutter speed.

Of course, whatever settings you want for Auto ISO will need to be set in the menus, but that's fine because it's not something you change on the fly while shooting.

Where would you place a metal ISO dial on this camera, anyway?

For what Miserere is saying, I think what he's suggesting is just that the wheel/Fn button toggle iso up and down without taking up the entire screen space. For example, on my Nikons I can control ISO by hitting the ISO button, then using one of the two control wheels to either toggle Auto ISO on/off, and/or move the ISO value up and down. When I adjust the ISO it just moves the value without displaying a menu of options. On my GH3, hitting the ISO button does bring up a menu, but it's side to side instead of top to bottom. That way it doesn't eat up all the screen real estate like it does on the X-E1/X-E2.

That's one option, yes. But I'd rather not have to push a Fn button and not have any type of menu list at all. The ISO number shows up at the bottom of the EVF/LCD display, just have it vary when you turn the rear wheel, like shutter speed and aperture do.

I just don't understand why so many camera makers (all of them?) treat ISO like it's an exposure variable so very different from aperture and shutter speed.

But you can't store multiple different options in shooting profiles. At least not if Fuji has its way, because they never think about these things. It always takes months of pressing and convincing (with lot of it getting lost in translation) to get stuff fixed that should never have been introduced that way in the first place.

Good point; that's what betas and focus groups are good for I guess :D

I probably wouldn't even notice because I never use shooting profiles on my cameras (I really probably should, I've just never bothered). Whereas if someone uses them all the time, that'd be a showstopper for them.

We're not understanding each other, Rico. I don't want an extra ISO wheel, I want to be able to change ISO with the rear control wheel without the need to press a Fn button first, and without a huge list of available ISOs popping up in the viewfinder.

Yep, and I explained three times why I do NOT want this and even would like to get rid of it in the OVF of the X100, X100S and X-Pro1. :)

Fuji can change things in future models (I don't have to buy them, after all), but they should stop changing too many basic functions in existing cameras that some of us or many of us actually like.

Good point; that's what betas and focus groups are good for I guess :D

There are no betas or focus groups that I know of. There's just me and a bunch of other folks (like the guys at DPR and a select group of X photographers) who Fuji asks for early feedback, however not on firmware. We certainly get to see dummies and construction sketches, but the really important stuff, the firmware, we only get to see a few weeks before a camera's official announcement. Then, it's way too late for changes, as the manuals are already being written and printed and all specs are final.

Obviously, it's impossible to please everybody, as many options are mutually exclusive, meaning you can't have it both ways w/o overcomplicating things. And overcomplication is a thing a large group of users is opposed to, as well. ;) It's a Catch-22.

I must be extremely easy to please. I want a camera to focus (or let me focus) accurately, and to expose with some consistency once I've figured out it's auto metering pattern -- or even better to give me a spot meter and let me do it. And if I spend a considerable amount of money on it, I expect it to work well with whatever peculiarities it has for some time to come.

The rest is conversation, some of it nonetheless interesting, even enlightening, and some of it inexplicably heated.

Back