Fuji Why do you like/love/hate the Fuji XPro cameras?

gryphon1911

Hall of Famer
Name
Andrew
Just thought I'd ask this.

I've just recently got myself an XPro2. Always wanted to pen one and up until now, i couldn't justify the price of a new one based on many factors.

Found a used one for a steal of a price on FM and snatched it up.

My only regret so far is not getting one sooner.
For me the XPro2 just feels like it was designed as a camera first and an electronic device second.

Other modern cameras seem like consumer electronics that capture images. Not sure if that makes sense, as I find it hard to articulate clearly.

For me, the free of the camera in hand is great. I love the viewfinder and there is just a sense of satisfaction when you hear that shutter click.

Then, you look at the images it creates. They can be different in how they are rendered. The most film like I've yet seem in a 135 size sensor or smaller.

Yes, it had its quirks, but the XPro2 just send to have that special something that I've not feeling from a digital camera in a long time. The closest I've felt to this before was from my Nikon Df and to a similar, but lesser degree, the Olympus PEN-F.

So, in your estimations, what makes the X-pro2 special to you? Anxiously awaiting your responses!

What I hate about the Fujis is how it's difficult and non-intuitive to work out which model is the latest, which is the high end model, which one is the budget. I lost track a couple of years ago.

I'm gassing for something like the X100F (or whichever is the latest). I played with one when I was in Japan last year and I love the speed of the AF, the IQ looks pretty good, ISO performance is also pretty good, love the Leica-esque vintage looks. If only they'd just produce one with a fixed (equivalent) 50mm f/1.4 stabilised lens, and weather-sealed. Icing on top if it also had decent 4K video. A bit more on the icing if it was also full frame. I love my Leicas but an X100 with these features would probably be my No.1 camera I'd take everywhere with me.

I absolutely love and adore the X100 series.

I also like the fact that Fuji stuffs the same sensor+processor combo on every body of its generation, meaning you don't have to be choosing between IQ and usability, just the latter.

But as usual, I'm conflicted about the models. There's the flagship model, the X-T series and then there's the statement series, the X-Pro. Since the X-Pro2 and X-T2 I like how they both share the sensor, the processor and have similar autofocus performance so that doesn't have to be factored into any decision.

The X-T3 is the rational choice and the X-Pro2 is the passionate one. Being right-eye dominant, I greatly prefer the rangefinder-style viewfinder placement but I also like big magnification and the topnotch OLED panels so it's very hard to choose between them. The XT3's viewfinder and its features (dual-view) make it the ideal body for adapted MF glass. The X-Pro2 has the OVF going for it but as I learned, when you use the ERF there's some extra shutter delay involved. So if you use OVF and want to ensure accurate focusing, how are you going to trust the OVF for that?

Again, the X-T3 is wife material, the X-Pro2 is the hot GF.

The X-Pro2's large body form also used to feel weird. It's so large, comparing to the other flagship, the X-T. Now I've accustomed to similarly-sized bodies like the Leica M. But I used to regard the X100 series being the perfect size/weight. Probably still do -- X100T didn't feel cramped with its buttons.

I'd be facing a very tough call if my camera bag would vanish tomorrow -- if I went for the X-pro2 or the X-t3. Or rather, would the ILC body of choice be what. The X100F would probably be my main camera. (And of course in this situation the secondary body could be a sensible XE3 or X-T30 but I don't do sensible, I've found out...)

For me, the free of the camera in hand is great. I love the viewfinder and there is just a sense of satisfaction when you hear that shutter click.

Then, you look at the images it creates. They can be different in how they are rendered. The most film like I've yet seem in a 135 size sensor or smaller.

Yes, it had its quirks, but the XPro2 just send to have that special something that I've not feeling from a digital camera in a long time. The closest I've felt to this before was from my Nikon Df and to a similar, but lesser degree, the Olympus PEN-F.
Quite interesting that you feel that X-Pro2 goes the most filmlike output and you've had Nikon DF to compare to! :)

As for the electronics thing, yes that can be a mood killer. Especially the PEN-F is hopelessly "electronical" when you have to interact with the menu system or even some of the basic functions.

Quite interesting that you feel that X-Pro2 goes the most filmlike output and you've had Nikon DF to compare to! :)

As for the electronics thing, yes that can be a mood killer. Especially the PEN-F is hopelessly "electronical" when you have to interact with the menu system or even some of the basic functions.

The Df is very film like from the front and the top...but once you get to the back, it goes right to modern. The sensor is awesome and based on the mighty D4. I think Nikon has done a great job but the modern sensors and lenses are going for ultimate sharpness and acutance.

Perhaps it is an intangible thing, that is very difficult to articulate. That's one of the big reasons I asked this question. I'm looking for others viewpoints and descriptions to see if there is some descriptor that I am missing!!

I think the X-Pro1 made more “filmic” looking images

The X-Pro2 has a reasonable amount of modern features implemented in such a way that they’re largely ignorable if (say) tracking AF mode #2 isn’t your bag and available on a Fn button if they are.

That LCD (the one in the EVF) is starting to show its age IMO

As with most Fujis and other digital cameras, the “analogue” controls can be more of a hindrance...

Only full stops on the SS and 1/3 stops on the scroll wheel, or flick the SS to ‘T’ and treat it like a DSLR with a thumb wheel

It’s sometimes funny to compare analogue inspired digital solutions

The X-Pro2 ISO must have worked better on the drawing board than it does on the camera... the Leica M10 one is so much better positioned. But the Fuji one at least offers 1/3 stops, the M10 only full stops! The Leicas have 1/2 stops on the SS and the aperture, but the fuji offers 1/3 stops on the aperture (and only full stops on the SS)

For me, the biggest score of the X-Pro2 is that it can be used how you wish... stick on an adapted lens and focus using the electronic range finder. Stick on an XF lens, switch to EVF and use auto face detect.

It can be many things to many people, where as the other cameras are limited to very digital ways of working (eg EVF only) or the digital part is (quite literally in the case of the M10’s clip on EVF) a bit of an accessory afterthought

My €0.02 / YMMV

I love the experience of shooting with the Pro2. It has become my favorite camera of everything I have shot with. I went into a lot more detail in a post I wrote last year comparing the Pro2 and T2. I have more of a need for what the T2 can do. But when not doing something which is a "working shoot", I will always grab the Pro2.

This is the post I wrote if you want to read it.
Thoughts on the Pro2 vs T2

High End SLR like: XTx series
Prosumer SLR like: XTxx series
Video Centric: XH-x
Budget line: XA-x
Rangefinder inspired high end: XPro
Rangefinder inspired prosumer: XE
High end compacts: X100 series
Consumer compacts: X10/20/30, now XF series.

This is straightforward, informative and useful. NOW I understand why there are so many letters and why I could never make sense of them before. I also did not know the X10 series has been swapped over to the XF series. I have no idea why Fuji makes it so difficult to follow their product line.

This is straightforward, informative and useful. NOW I understand why there are so many letters and why I could never make sense of them before. I also did not know the X10 series has been swapped over to the XF series. I have no idea why Fuji makes it so difficult to follow their product line.

I feel the same way about Canon. I can never follow which of their cameras have what sensors in them.

I feel the same way about Canon. I can never follow which of their cameras have what sensors in them.

I find Canon's and Sony's product lines are so much easier to follow.

Canon's 1D series is their top of the line for the serious pro who need extreme performance in extreme conditions. Or as my non-photographer colleague called it, the 'square' cameras. But with extreme performance comes extreme weight, size, and prices.

The 5D series is their high end camera that most pros are happy with.

The 6D series is a budget version of the 5D series. I find that most photography students start their careers with a 6D.

The 7D series is their high end APS-C camera for the sports/ornithology pros for whom the extra reach (and speed due to the smaller sensor) is useful. It's basically a high end crop sensor camera.

Everything else in the Canon line, in particular the xxxxD or the Rebel series, are the low end, APS-C, budget offerings.

**I forgot about their mirrorless and compact options. Suffice to say they're all crop sensors and as I understand the reviews, they're not quite up to the standard of Fuji's cameras.

Last edited:
High End SLR like: XTx series
Prosumer SLR like: XTxx series
Video Centric: XH-x
Budget line: XA-x
Rangefinder inspired high end: XPro
Rangefinder inspired prosumer: XE
High end compacts: X100 series
Consumer compacts: X10/20/30, now XF series.
You forgot some (I probably am as well):
Budget SLR like: XT### series
Prosumer compact (?): X70 - I guess prosumer since it has the A auto lever like the XT## series.

The X## series has not swapped over the XF##, Fuji just release a more "consumer" version of the X70.

.....For me the XPro2 just feels like it was designed as a camera first and an electronic device second.

Other modern cameras seem like consumer electronics that capture images. Not sure if that makes sense, as I find it hard to articulate clearly.....
Makes perfect sense to me, it's how I've often thought of and describe Sony cameras.
My scale, ILC to consumer electronics:
Fuji
Nikon
Olympus
Canon
Panasonic
Sony

Last edited:
As with many things Fuji, I have a love/ hate relationship with the X-Pro.

Love the X-Pro design concept. Hate some parts of the implementation.

I would love an X-Pro2 as an ILC big brother to my X100F. For me and my eyes, the X-Pro2 viewfinder makes it a non-starter. (X100F gets pass, as it is not my primary camera, and only spends short periods of time up to my eye. The X-Pro2 would spend much more time in that position.)

I agree about Fuji feeling more like a camera than some other brands. Based on cameras I have used and the way my brain is wired... I'd place Pentax just ahead of Fuji, and Fuji followed closely by Nikon. Then Canon. Olympus and Sony felt like handheld electronics used to capture images. IMHO and YMMV

I have a X Pro1 that's kinda' beat but it still makes decent images. My problem with it is that I end up carrying ND filters in my pocket when I go out because I often run out of shutter speeds and/or ISOs when I want to compress the DoF.
I didn't click well with the X Pro2. The images reminded me too much of my Canon 5D series days. Very nice and very sharp but a bit too digital for me.
Currently I have an X-E2, an X-E2s, the X Pro1, (my wife calls my "rat rod"), and an X100f. I really enjoy shooting with them and appreciate the IQ a lot. Simply said, I like the way Fuji X cameras write the image when coupled with select lenses, both Fuji's own and some manual focus optics I have - 7a, Meike, and Leica and Zeiss. Currently I have no Voigtlander lenses.
If Fuji came out with an X Pro3 the approximate size of the X100 series I'd buy one without hesitation.
'Just thinking out loud here.
. . . David

Back