Fuji Why do you love your Fuji?

Jules

Regular
Name
Julie-Anne
It's been interesting reading the various threads about which X cameras people use, how they use them and what other cameras they own as well. Clearly we're all very different, with different backgrounds, experiences and shooting styles. The one commonality is that we all love/like/feel somewhat positive about our Fuji cams.

I was wondering what it is about the X cams that people love/like/feel somewhat positive about, and whether there were any common themes?

For myself, I like the feel of the camera - the build quality, the weight, even the lens caps feels real and solid to me. I love the stealthiness of the silent shutter. And I like the Fuji colours and the excellent highlight recovery and the quality those two features lend to my final images.

Why do you love/like/feel somewhat positive about your Fuji?

Note: Just for the record, I don't love the Fuji cams so much that I am a blindly obsessed fan - things such as battery life indicators, sometimes sketchy AF and issues with orbs and sticky blades do irritate me, but I choose to work around them in order to enjoy the benefits of the cameras. Just as I do with any other brand of camera I use.

I could probably write a book on that topic... Though the x10 I bought was a splurge and was going to be a secondary camera. I'd been happily shooting with manual lenses on my Pentax K-R but I wanted something more compact with a wide-angle to short zoom for travel. I'd been looking at an updated version of my Olympus EP1 and some of the other high-end compacts. The x10 just fit in my hands and it had the overrides I wanted. And it had the view finder ATTACHED. With the Oly EP1 I was always afraid of losing the viewfinder since it was separate component. Also, a personal quirk: I don't like changing lenses "in the field". I'd rather carry the camera set for the day and not have to fiddle with lenses. Anyway, I've taken that X10 all over and it was the only camera I had with me on my trip to Iceland and Greenland last summer. The only bad side has been the number of good photos - I am still editing though my pictures from that trip :)

I love my Fuji(s) for a couple of reasons. I have always been a huge fan of the Fuji lenses going back to the GA645i that I've owned for over 10 years and shot b&W Ilford film almost exclusively with. The images have always been tack sharp with great definition and contrast. When I added digital cameras to my stable I got a Fuji S3 for commercial product photography which I use in my design and printing business and even for point and shoot cameras I've always bought Fuji's. Then I added an X10 last year because of the affection that I had to the Fuji lenses and the tactile feel of camera body and controls of the X10. I've yet to be disappointed with the X10 as it feels just right in my hands and that I can choose how manual or automatic I want the camera to be when I'm shooting. The only downside to owning Fuji cameras is that I feel like the company includes some kind of G.A.S. substance in their products that makes you want to keep upgrading the purchase of their products. =) I guess like you Jules, I'm pretty much of a fanboy of Fuji's but I guess with the thousands of images I've taken with their cameras its to be expected...

For most part it gets out of my way and lets me work quickly and make images and the images are pleasing and respond well if i want to tweak them in LR or Silver Efex Pro 2...what more do you need? My X10 isn't without it's flaws but every camera is a compromise in some way but in this case the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

X100 looks great, handles well, produces beautiful images. I have been shooting JPEG only and getting better results (and better control in Lightroom) than I used to see with RAW files from my Canon G series. Those are the aesthetic and technical reasons. Most importantly, having this camera makes me want to go out and shoot photos.

I love my X100 because I don't have to muck about in menus to get at basic functions like shutter speed, aperture and ISO. These are all located handily where my fingers can find them. Once other settings are organised, no need to play in the menus at all unless you need to make major changes.

I pretty much love my Fuji for the reasons most commonly mentioned, the great image it produces, the form factor, and how it makes me want to take photos.

However, I also love my XP1 for the reasons most people consider as a negative, I would call it as a backhanded compliment, a term I picked up from one of the Serious Compacts podcast.

AF speed - Most people complain regarding the speed of it's AF, with the way I shoot I would consider it adequate, it does however force me to anticipate my shot, it makes me think ahead, to plan and to pre-visualise. I know that it's the photographer who takes the photo, and that a camera is just a tool, but a tool that makes a photographer think and use his / her brain is definitely a good thing.

Price - The XP1 isn't a cheap camera and the argument as to whether it is worth the asking price will depend on who is answering the question. Personally I think it is when I consider all it's positive qualities, it also teaches me to value and to appreciate the investment I made in purchasing it. Like many, I find that money isn't something that comes by easily, and when I save to purchase something I want to be sure that my investment is worth all the lunches I skipped, all the kilometers I walked to save money on petrol, etc... Anything easily obtained are usually also easily discarded (unless we're talking about certain transmitted diseases) and we tend to cherish something more if a lot of sacrifice was required to get it.

Releasing an imperfect product - This is something Kodak never caught on to which I think contributed to their downfall, Fuji has released their X series with flaws that users have picked up on, and they responded by releasing firmware upgrades, to me this shows a company who actually listens to the people who purchase their product, As opposed to releasing a product which they think is perfect and never caring to listen as to what their users have to say and just adding the requests on their latest release or newer model.

Fuji as a company - The XP-1 is a niche camera in a niche market, it feels that the camera was designed by photographers for photographers, there's a steep learning curve if you are new to photography and even if you are not, there is still the price tag that not everyone will like, however I do commend Fuji for taking a risk in producing a camera that will potentially appeal to only a handful, it shows passion in what they do and courage to challenge the expected norm. Their often release of firmware upgrades also show that they willing listen to their consumers

I love my X10 with a passion because it's much better than it has any right to, being a compact camera (which in my mind always will rhyme with compromised IQ).
I'm a strict JPEG shooter and the Fuji colors and DR are just beautiful. The camera is responsive enough, easy to use, has decent AF speed and accuracy. The Pro Focus mode is actually unique and useful it set to medium strength, it does deliver blurred background portraits competing with DSLR DOF control, in a cinch.
The X10 also happens to be solid, gorgeous, and a joy to hold. I feel NO self consciousness using it right next to a DLSR user, quite the opposite. In fact, I feel a little sorry for the guy with the giant camera, lol.

- For me Fuji was back to basics. F-stop on the lens barrel, shutter speed dial, and exposure compensation dial. No need to go hunt and peck in the menus to change the normal functions.
- A great sensor iq that had high iso easy to 3200.
- The ovf/evf combo is a killer. I use ovf about 60-70 % of the time. The ability to use rf lenses w/ a m adapter. Aberration correction when used w/ Fuji m adapter.
- programmable special function keys
- easy to get to button for mf to af modes w/ mf single press af assist
- good autofocus prime lenses not the tons of zoom lenses than Sony put out for their Nex line before Sony decide to start doing something about primes
- a company that listens to the customer and the starts prioritizing what is the next important feature or lens or camera to ship, unlike Sony, examples
-- improvements to af speed over time
-- the quick menus
-- digital split image on the x100s as well as focus peaking
-- better manual focus capability as seen on the x100s
-- one press af assist when in manual focus
-- ability to cluster or uncluttered the ovf/evf/LCD info as u please

Gary

The sensor, the lenses, the colors (especially the colors) out of the camera, the fact that the metering and WB are fantastic so I don't have twiddle around with the photos in Photoshop or Lightroom, when I use JPEG's they beyond outstanding, the operation of the cameras, the aperture rings on the lenses, the quality of the product and Fuji's customer service. The only complaint I've ever had is the menu button on the X100 (which they are fixing on the X100S). I have zero complaints about the X Pro. I just got the 14mm today. Another great lens by Fuji. I'm whittling down the Nikon gear even more. I never really use it much anyway since I got the X Pro.

I have had my X100 for over a year now and it is still one of my favourite cameras due to its size, weight, tactile operation (dials), silent operation and most importantly quality output.

Personally, I love the challenge of a fixed lens camera as it makes the "Operator" engage more and think about the end result they want so has a mix of "old & new" that for me allows me to shoot fewer images but be happier with those I do take and have a higher percentage of "keepers" than with other equipment.

I am looking forwards to seeing what the X100s can deliver with the new sensor and may be tempted to upgrade at the end of the year when all the foibles have been ironed out!

the sound of the shutter on the X-E1 is just NICE! Of course, I also love the silence of the X100. But the solid, satisfying 'snick' of the X-E1 felt like it was saying "I can take a great picture Mr. Photographer, but can you?"

A lot of reasons, but most of them boil down to the seamless usability of the system.

It seems clear to me that the Fuji people put photography first. The ergonomics work for me. It all feels good. It comes to my eye naturally. I don't have to press any buttons or look at screens to know the current settings, with the exception of ISO. Changing settings just flows.

I find the IQ to be outstanding. I mean this in a broad sense. From a technical standpoint I don't need more. From an aesthetic perspective the photographs have tones and range to them that is for me truly beautiful. They make gorgeous prints.

My X-Pro 1 makes me want to shoot more than I have in years. I don't consciously think of the camera as I shoot. It's an extension of my eye.

I love my X10 with a passion because it's much better than it has any right to, being a compact camera (which in my mind always will rhyme with compromised IQ).
I'm a strict JPEG shooter and the Fuji colors and DR are just beautiful. The camera is responsive enough, easy to use, has decent AF speed and accuracy. The Pro Focus mode is actually unique and useful it set to medium strength, it does deliver blurred background portraits competing with DSLR DOF control, in a cinch.
The X10 also happens to be solid, gorgeous, and a joy to hold. I feel NO self consciousness using it right next to a DLSR user, quite the opposite. In fact, I feel a little sorry for the guy with the giant camera, lol.

I can pretty much just say "+1" to all your comments. I usually don't use my X10 "right next to" one of my DSLRs or m43 cameras, but I agree that the results from the X10 are surprisingly close to older-sensor DSLR quality and I'm never self-conscious about using it. I might even try using the X10 at the next wedding I shoot for the detail shots of the rings since the X10's super macro and macro modes work great and the X10 can trigger off-camera lights via a hot shoe trigger.

Back